No announcement yet.

Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not many birds to shoot at this weekend but we at least finished up everything for bow and gun season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Very few dove this past weekend. Shot a nice large boar and saw some good bucks on the camera.

Comment

Yesterday we were blessed with a great "follow up" rain, about .9" at the house. It was pretty scattered, I think more rain in central, south and SW part of the county according to my radar watching.
        Grass is really slow responding to this moisture which tells me how dry that it was when the rain finally fell last week. Normally, a couple of days after a rain we can see the grass really green and growing...not this time.
        I am beginning to see a few acorns falling around the house. Some trees have a few and many have none. I don't think they are going to be heavy as the last couple of years.
        Reports of ranchers finding quite a few dead fawns. Body condition on the fawns is not good as there's simply not much for them to eat and Mamas are drying up. Hopefully this rain will get some green stuff growing that the fawns can reach.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

I'm over in Hext and the follow up rain went around us. Happy with what we had last week. I got my wheat in just before the rain and it is all ready up. Acorns are falling. Not to last years level but a few. Matt

Comment

Farm Logs has been reporting we are getting hit with rain pretty often out there. Based on my mobile camera, they are backing up that data. I did put a camera on a water well a few days before all this rain started. I sure I would have known all I had to do was to add a camera on a water source and it would start raining, I would have done a long time ago!

I am going out this weekend to do a final tune up for bow season. Looking forward to getting out there.

Comment

Has anyone been feeding rice bran on your place? We put out 100lbs on my buddies place near Kerrville and they go through it in a few days. I put out 100lbs at the lease and the deer won’t even sniff it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Abu_dude; 09-17-2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

No rice bran here....but keeping protein on timed feeders to try and keep bucks from roaming too much. We are feeding Alfalfa and it’s almost eaten over night.

Comment

Originally posted by Els16 View Post
                  No rice bran here....but keeping protein on timed feeders to try and keep bucks from roaming too much. We are feeding Alfalfa and it’s almost eaten over night.
                  What timed protein feeders are you using?

Comment

Started raining lightly about 4:00 AM this morning and have had about .4" so far. As wet as the ground was, looks like much more has fallen than has. Ground is really wet.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

I was out there this weekend and really amazed at all the new growth the recent rains have produced. We are on a property that has cattle and in my opinion are over grazing it, so great to see the new grasses coming up.

All the bow setups are ready to go.

Comment

So i ran up on a day trip to change out some batteries in the camera and get a few things done before the opener. I had to dump 100lbs of molded rice bran out of my troughs because it wasn't touched. Is anybody running anything as a self feed attractant? Outside of have deer blocks available, I would like to keep something out for around the clock available feeding...

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                          Outside of have deer blocks available, I would like to keep something out for around the clock available feeding...
                          Sorry... Deer blocks.
                          My whitetails tear them up. Axis, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                            Sorry... Deer blocks.
                            My whitetails tear them up. Axis, not so much.
                            The axis will really eat on the berry flavored blocks at Compton's. Other blocks not so much.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                              The axis will really eat on the berry flavored blocks at Compton's. Other blocks not so much.
                              Adios,
                              Gary
                              This axis love them record rack wild berry blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                                So i ran up on a day trip to change out some batteries in the camera and get a few things done before the opener. I had to dump 100lbs of molded rice bran out of my troughs because it wasn't touched. Is anybody running anything as a self feed attractant? Outside of have deer blocks available, I would like to keep something out for around the clock available feeding...
                                That's crazy. I run rice bran threw my protein feeder and they go thru it with 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X