Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas surf shark fishing thread

TBH i have really come to enjoy land based shark fishing in the texas surf. I am definitely a noob and constantly learning. Wanted to start this thread to share pictures, tips tricks and other information. I know we have a few veterans on here that can hopefully chime in and help us noobs out.

So here is my first question i was wondering if anyone has had any luck shark fishing in the surf in August. I normally go in June and July was wondering if shark fishing holds ok through August. Went couple weeks ago had a few good pick ups but no ultimate catches had one bite the leader in half so i will be upping gear size again. Did catch a huge ray wish i would have kept it for bait but i let it go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7363.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	24624326

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Above is the ray brought in last week it was on for an 1hr and 10 min i will post up the video when i get it put together.

Comment

August can be very good, well for others, I can't seem to catch anything anytime anyways

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
          August can be very good, well for others, I can't seem to catch anything anytime anyways

Good to hear hoping it remains good

Comment

So are yall using heaving mono leaders or steel. I have been using heavy duty mono because it seems they dont care to much for steel but seems like no matter how heavy the mono is they bite it in half. If your using mono what size leader you running, will like the 1000 lb mono be enough for the hook side or just go steel?

Comment

Was supposed to hit the sand this weekend, but we'll see if PINS shuts down, again.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181020_203407372.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	24624327Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181020_150408306_HDR.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	24624328

Comment

I use around 4' or so of cable, and then 20-30' of around 700lbs mono.

Comment

where are you fishing in particular, muzzy? PINS is a big difference from Galveston, and that is a monster ray!

Comment

My boy brought this med sized ray in 2 years ago.
                    Drop that 50 into low gear and crank.

Caught a huge one a few years back that started birthing when we had her on the sand.Click image for larger version

Name:	23164.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	24624329Click image for larger version

Name:	23160.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	24624330
                    (Stinger was removed and I'm stepping on the tail).

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                      where are you fishing in particular, muzzy? PINS is a big difference from Galveston, and that is a monster ray!

Honestly i have been fishing a lot anywhere from Galveston down to lake jackson all at night

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                        Was supposed to hit the sand this weekend, but we'll see if PINS shuts down, again.[ATTACH]1010917[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1010918[/ATTACH]

Dude that is a nice set up you got i like it

Comment

Canoe one how is August?

Comment

I've heard the cheap scallops you get in restaurants is actually stingray. Is that true?

Sorry for the off subject question. The stingray pics made me think of that.

Comment

@Poco

The fish are bite-n and there's hogs to be killed, gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                              X