No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend and I are leaving Wednesday afternoon headed to the backcountry to set out Trail cameras and enjoy some cooler weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The mountains have hordes of folks up in them right now, campers everywhere.
      Place your cams carefully and hide them well.
      Sure hope school gets going late summer or we'll have tons of company in the forest for fall.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        The mountains have hordes of folks up in them right now, campers everywhere.
        Place your cams carefully and hide them well.
        Sure hope school gets going late summer or we'll have tons of company in the forest for fall.

If someone climbs into area where these will be then they deserve to have them. [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
          A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?
          I've been happy with onx maps. Also google earth has lots of resources to utilize for game ranges. I liked the tracking function of onx. Plus it worked where I didn't have service. I will say this the spot I went last year had tons of fresh sign and rubs (more than the other hunters we talked to). However it did not show under the elk range filters on the maps. Also pay close attention to the topo maps as my "idea" of a plan was way unrealistic in person. We hiked an insane number of miles over the course of a week long trip followed up by a hail Mary trip at the end of the month. Both my units I tried were nice crowding wasn't an issue but I did come back without an elk. Both units 75 and 77 are now draw only as well.

X2 on Randy Neuburg as far as the terrain you are looking for.

Biggest tip is enjoy the trip successful or not I'd take a week in CO mountains with no elk over shooting a big whitetail from my TX stands. Headed to unit 81 this year we'll see how it goes! Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            In for info on these two units. I hunted 78 a couple years back and was there too late (hunting pressure pushed most elk onto private) or that's what it seemed like to me. Lots of sign everywhere but no sight of elk other than on the other side of the fence. Sucks that Colorado made the changes.

You got plenty of time to get after it and get fit.

What's the deal with Wyoming? I assume there aren't any OTC tags up there. I might need to find another state.
            I'm planning 81 mid september. Last year was 75 1st week lots of sign but I never saw one. 77 the last weekend I spooked one at 20yrds never had a chance. We kind of surprised each other. Headed up for a weekend to scope out a spot in 81 maybe set cams at the end of the month. On the drive up there elk were everywhere on the drive between Carson national forest to Chama NM. Turned back into muleys from that point on for the drive. Wish I could score a tag there haha yeah right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
              I’ve got Elk on the brain big time today!! Montana is calling.
              Where at In Montana you hunting? I drew north of Billings. It’s my first time hunting Montana, I’m usually in New Mexico or Colorado. Out of 6 states this yr I drew Montana. Looks like a great area with tons of farm land. I should be there the first week of September. I like the second week but outfitter said first is the best chance shooting a bigger bull. Horns are looking really good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Down View Post
                Where at In Montana you hunting? I drew north of Billings. It’s my first time hunting Montana, I’m usually in New Mexico or Colorado. Out of 6 states this yr I drew Montana. Looks like a great area with tons of farm land. I should be there the first week of September. I like the second week but outfitter said first is the best chance shooting a bigger bull. Horns are looking really good so far.

I’ll be in SW Montana opening 10 days. Opening week has historically been good for shot opportunity on big bulls.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  If someone climbs into area where these will be then they deserve to have them. [emoji1787]

I bet I know where they are going!!!! I’m afraid it’s going to be crowded up there this year.

Comment

I doubt it it’s not a well known place.

Comment

What recommendations do you all have for a cow call? Also looking for the best pair of boots in the $200 price range. I cannot pay more than that. My workouts are gearing up and I have lost more than ten pounds! Colorado here we come!

Comment

What recommendations do you all have for a cow call? Also looking for the best pair of boots in the $200 price range. I cannot pay more than that. My workouts are gearing up and I have lost more than ten pounds! Colorado here we come!
                        Check out the Salewa Mountain Trainer Lite GTX, I believe you can get them for $199 and they make a great boot with a blister free guarantee.

Comment

Phelps Grey or White are my go to for diaphragm calls.

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
                            Phelps Grey or White are my go to for diaphragm calls.

I like the grey too

Comment

New Pronghorns are out from Danner. Those boots have made lots of hunts out west.
                              I would get a few cow calls, a couple of bite and blows and some diaphragms. You want to vary your calls.
                              Sceery, Carlton and Primos make good sounding bite and blows.

Comment

Been testing heads for this years elk hunt and have found my final pick. Very very impressed with this head

Comment

Working...
                                X