Legal Question about Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    Gotta be careful with that. Had a guy locally shoot at some folks who were stealing a couple of cases of beer. I think he was an off duty security guard or something. Anyway, that being said, he fired at the tires, but a bullet went into the car and missed the thieves, but managed to strike and kill a female passenger who was asleep in the back seat. He was indicted, and also lost a civil suit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.12n.../502-311878608
    That's because, we have no system of justice, in this country.....

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
      That's because, we have no system of justice, in this country.....
      Sorry, but if my daughter is asleep in the back seat of a car and the guys she’s with try to steal $50 worth of beer, I’ll be looking justice if she gets shot and killed by some idiot trying to be a hero.

Comment

Sorry, but if my daughter is asleep in the back seat of a car and the guys she’s with try to steal $50 worth of beer, I’ll be looking justice if she gets shot and killed by some idiot trying to be a hero.
        Yep. He killed a woman asleep in a car over two cases of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Yep. He killed a woman asleep in a car over two cases of beer.
          Just wonder if she had been in the car with bank robbers and she had been shot. Would that have changed anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            Why not just click the panic button your key fob, I sure the horn honking and lights flashing would cause them to vacate immediately. I would not really want to confront someone that could be armed over some wheels and tires.
            Rick, best answer for safety and hopefully stopping the theft. And least chance for litigation. I would have a hard time just watching someone steal my property, but I also don't want to kill someone over a few tires.

Comment

So where does this stop?
              I agree with River Rat on this the thieves just keep getting away with everything so they level up. Where does this stop? I wouldn't want to kill anyone over a set of wheels but it's the principle
              leave my stuff alone

Comment

So...…..you mad at the guy shooting...……….
                or the guy, who thought your daughter's life, was worth
                $50 in beer...…….

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                  Question 1.You think you are not getting sued either way?
                  Question 2. You think your legal legal fees are more or less if you shoot them and they do not die?

Both serious questions.
                  The info he gave, is exactly the info I was given by a long time veteran law enforcement officer. If they are dead, they can't sue, yes their family might try, but the perp won't be alive to lie about what happened. I am going with what I was told, no non Lethal shots fired, either dead or don't shoot.

Comment

The idiot is the one who gets shot stealing the beer. If I’m on the jury you’re getting nothing and will be paying the legal fees of the person you sued.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      My LTC class instructor told us deadly force is justified if someone is stealing your property or fleeing with your stolen property.

Whether that's entirely true or not, it could be interpreted 1,000 different ways by a jury.

Not worth it for wheels....
                      You are missing some very key verbiage of that penal code reference.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        Theft of property at night I have the legal ability to shoot them. And **** right they are getting shot trying to take my stuff. They don't want shot leave my stuff alone.

Long as the shoot is legal then not worried about a lawsuit. And at night taking my stuff. Pretty sure that is legal. Will have to post the laws when I get back to my computer.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                        Once again, you might want to revisit the specific penal code reference for this,.

Comment

Why would your daughter be hangin' with these punks in the first place? She doesn't, does she?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                            Once again, you might want to revisit the specific penal code reference for this,.
                            Where was he wrong? That's what I understand as well.

Comment

Honestly I would move.

Comment

I believe the verbiage is that if your shoot is declared self defense, the person or family cannot collect damages from you. Not sure if it says anything about protecting property. But i am half asleep, and could be wrong about the property.

It says you can use lethal force to protect property theft, if the property cannot be recovered another way. Some say insurance can replace stolen property.

Comment

Working...
                                X