No announcement yet.

New kayak purchase—need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had both of those kayaks and have to say you can't go wrong with either of them! I have not tried the peddle version of the Big Rig (the FD model), but it has some good reviews. And being almost $1300 cheaper than a new PA14, that can fund some serious upgrades! Even better, get the Big Rig HD and throw on a trolling motor on the back. As for the Hobie, the new PA 360 Mirage drive is unprecedented, the Vantage seat is probably the best in the market, and the cockpit layout of the PA 14 is phenomenal for fishing and tweaking for your needs.

Both are HEAVY, so you might add the cost of a trailer in your budget, especially if you are planning on buying another kayak or two for the family.

And I would suggest also throwing the Native Titan Propel 13.5 into your hat for consideration. That thing is a BEAST!

Comment

I am a big guy.. 6'2 305. I have a Native Titan 12 with the pedal drive. I got it a month ago. This thing is a beast. super stable and glides through the water. The pedal drive is smooth and can go forward and backwards.

Comment

Just bought my wife a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 105 and she really likes it so far. I think it will be a great kayak for her and what she likes to do.

I am looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar 115 for me as a fishing kayak but also one I can recreational paddle when I want to as well with her.

Comment

Doc, glad to See you on the GS again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Doc, glad to See you on the GS again.
            Oh, I have been lurking just not posting as much. Hell, I haven’t been able to do anything! I have been posting lots of food pics on Instagram. I had to cancel my archery desert bighorn sheep hunt in March which really sucked!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
              Oh, I have been lurking just not posting as much. Hell, I haven’t been able to do anything! I have been posting lots of food pics on Instagram. I had to cancel my archery desert bighorn sheep hunt in March which really sucked!!!!!
              I bet that did suck! Hopeful will see you in some fishing or hunting stories soon.. Hope all is well with you, Little Doc May and the youngster!

Comment

Get you a peddle kayak so you can be hands free when casting or can stay in one spot. I have a pro angler 12 and love it over bass fishing in my tarpon 120. Paddling is not so bad but you can cove more ground with a peddle drive and fish when it’s still windy
                Attached Files

Comment

Look at the Native Titan 12 Propel. I have the 10.5 and love it. Great pedal drive

Comment

I’m really thinking about driving to the kayak shop in okc tomorrow. Knowing me I’ll buy one then won’t be able to use it for a month or more.

Comment

I came out of a Hobie last year because I wanted something lighter to carry on racks above the truck since I now tow an RV. I liked the Hobie drive a lot. I fished with folks with Jacksons and was impress how easy they were able to clear prop of grass. I think if I was in the market for a peddle yak and cost was not object I would take a serious look at the Blue Sky Boatworks rigs. I would at least talk to someone who owns or has owned one.

Comment

I have a 19 Hobie PA 14 and love it. But it would be terrible if I had to paddle it very much. The 360 looks like a game changer but I haven't been in one. I am full grown at 6'4" 340#. The Hobie seat and stability are still awesome. I also researched Jackson but found a deal on the Hobie first.

I think either is great but both are heavy. I highly recommend getting boondox landing gear for either. I have it on mine and it is a game changer.

Comment

Have you looked at native watercraft titans, pedal drive and very stable. They make them in three different sizes. I am torn between them and the Jackson. But I think titan is the way I may go. I tested a Hobie and did not care for the “ pedal” drive in them at all. And yea as said above, I have been researching the blue sky boat works now, but no where to see one, and not sure how it would do on very windy days.
                          Last edited by critter69; 06-13-2020, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                            I’m really thinking about driving to the kayak shop in okc tomorrow. Knowing me I’ll buy one then won’t be able to use it for a month or more.
                            Put it in the swimming pool and practice

Comment

well thought I'd check in and see what you're doing.

Comment

If it were me, I'd call down to Mariner Sails in Dallas and setup a demo day with them. I also would look at the old town PDL models. They have a handful of different models with the PDL drive and it is the best prop style drive hands down. Hobie is great and if looking at those I would look at the pro angler 14 with the 360 drive.

I currently have the Old Town Predator PDL. I have added a micro power pole and a humminbird helix 7 G3N. It is a beast of a kayak and does everything I could ever imagine doing on big lakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X