• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have stabilizer in the pool?

Comment

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
      Cyanuric acid
      Add this. Also known as stabilizer. It helps hold the chlorine in the water.

Comment

Throw the strips away and get a Taylor K2006 test kit.
        Don’t go to Leslies, they’ll just make money off you chasing your tail.
        Go to troublefreepool.com and read up/ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          OP, lots of advice out there. One more coming from me. When I first moved in to this house/pool, I would follow the routine of checking the water, chlorine, PH, blah, blah, blah. Then, I came up with my own tests, my eyes. I tell people that one test is if the water is crystal clear and the other is if my eyes hurt while I'm in it. That is all I use, chlorine, nothing else. The few times I brought my water for testing at Leslie's, they'll tell me it on the high side of chlorine but no other problem. My next door neighbor is always testing his and adding various chemicals. Every once in a while he has to drain his pool, maybe 2-3 years. Same with my FIL, who thinks he is an expert with pool water but had to drain his last summer. Don't overthink it. When you get your pool right, just use chlorine.

SH
          I'm the same way and I have been doing it for years. Every now and then I adjust the PH. Anytime I take it into be tested at Leslie's they always ask "How does your water look?". The only thing I would add to your test is "your nose". If you get that funky smell that public pools get, you can normally shock that out.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
            Add too much and it’ll take a TON of chlorine to be correct. Be careful with CYA. Once too high, only option is to drain.

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
              Do you have stabilizer in the pool?
              Yes, stabilizer (cyanuric acid) shows to be in the acceptable range on the strips.

Comment

My wife just sent me this picture. She just took this sample.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61170194660__71D703E1-CE6A-45B2-9936-C3D143488EBA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	24617846

Any suggestions?

Comment

How old is your chlorine? How long has it been in the sun or heat?

Comment

Kind of hard to tell but it looks like your ph is off. When it'd off you'll never get the chlorine correct, read the link in my earlier post, I had the same issue a couple years ago before I read it and followed it.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                      How old is your chlorine? How long has it been in the sun or heat?
                      Brand new off the shelf at the store.

Comment

Folks that talk of salt make it sound too simple. Yes, salt chlorine generator makes the chlorine. But you have to have stabilizer (which the kit above didn't test for). And weekly you have to add acid or you PH gets out of control. Then in my case replace the generator every couple of years (about half of what they should last).

btw, I still have a couple bags of salt if anyone in the arlington area wants to stop by and pick up.

OP, lots of things could be wrong. You may have too much phosphates in the pool. "Pool perfect" is a good option to maintain and they have a phosphate remover that is more concentrated. Best idea is to take a water sample in to be tested. Looks like there is a Leslie's in Kerrville if that is where you are located. This was a bad year to start up here. Had algae take hold and took a week and $100+ of chemicals and shock to get straight.

Comment

So it’s showing zero free chlorine and total chlorine?

If you can smell it I’d say the strips are expired or flawed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a high pH is you cause. Add some arm and hammer baking soda to bring it down

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post

Do not just add it unless it’s low

Too much will not allow the chlorine to be nearly as effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                My wife just sent me this picture. She just took this sample.

[ATTACH]1004602[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions?
                                Stop using strips and get a test kit or better yet take a sample to Leslie's.

Comment

Working...
                                X