Feeder paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder paint

I have 6 - 2000 Lb feeders that are in desperate need of some care. I don’t want to spray paint with just a spray can type paint. I have a good spray gun and I want to put a good long lasting rust preventative type paint on them. Any recommendations ???

Zero experience with this product on a feeder. But will be trying it soon. I bought a spray in bed liner kit that is tan in color. I plan to spray my feeders with it. If you have any seems that are not "Airtight" it should seal it up. I bought the kit with a spray nozzle not the roll on.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
      I have 6 - 2000 Lb feeders that are in desperate need of some care. I don’t want to spray paint with just a spray can type paint. I have a good spray gun and I want to put a good long lasting rust preventative type paint on them. Any recommendations ???
      I have wondered if you shoot some clear on them after painting if it will make the feeder last longer.

Comment

Clean them really good, which is a must with any paint, and brush paint or roll them with a quality oil based house paint.. We have painted feeders and a jeep with it and you can't scratch off... Been 7-8 years now..
        DO NOT thin the paint.

Comment

Just use ace hardware rust paint. Works great.

Comment

Tractor Supply sells tractor paint in most tractor colors. Mix a couple together or single color. Thin it & shoot it. I have done trailers & feeders. Cheap and very durable. Typically $30.00-40.00 a gallon depending on Rustoleum, or house brand.

Comment

I'm not sure if they will sell to individuals or not, but we build protein feeders and use Horn Paints out of Fort Worth. They don't have a store front, and their warehouse is definitely not much to look at, but we tried numerous types of metal paint, and it is by far the best we have found.

Comment

I work for Sherwin-Williams. Sand to create profile to achieve adequate adhesion. You can paint using an oil, but they will chalk and fade. I would prime with Sherwin-Williams ProCryl Universal Metal Primer and topcoat with Sherwin-Williams ProIndustrial Waterbased alkyd Urethane. Both products are rust inhibitive. the Waterbased alkyd urethane is a hybrid of and oil based and water based coating. So you get the advantages of both. Durability of an oil, clean up of a ware based. The added urethane increases the color retention of the product.

Comment

Rusty metal primer is what we use. Works great and it isn’t too expensive considering how long it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We've been repainting with Rustoleum Satin Green oil based with great results. I do it ever 5-6 years on my Bighorn.....
                    but we also take the time to clean them up and even will take a sander to it to clean and rough stuff up. I'm on year 13 with my oldest and still going strong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7620.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	24612738

Name:	Nick Feeder Varmint Guard 55gal - TBH.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	24612739

Name:	AA Seismic2.jpg