Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have actually shot a banded bird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got 15 or so. Wood ducks, teal, mallard, gadwall, pintail, canvasback, mottled, whistler and snow geese. All killed in SETX and SWLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      7 bands for me.....5 mallards and one pintail....all drakes...and one green wing hen.

Couple of missed opportunities I remember vividly. Only two times I have flipped for one on a same bird shot between two guys I lost them both. Another time, we had a single mallard drake come in floating from my side on a slow day. Guy who owned the placed said kill that bird to my buddy...he popped up and folded it first shot and it was banded. Only duck we killed that day.. Also had a single snow come to my right and I was on the end and I killed it. Guide grabbed it and put it into the pile behind a guy next to me who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn standing inside it with the door closed. We had pretty good action so I guess he wasn't checking for bands. That guy had two specs, a canada, a "blue" and a snow in his pile at the end of the day. Snow was banded. Didn't want to be THAT guy. He was ecstatic and he ended up mounting it as it was his first band .......so it was worth swallowing my tongue.

Used to hunt with 2 buddies that were flooded timber mallard purists and they had a lot more than me.....

Couple of pics on my computer through the years.....

[ATTACH]991839[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991840[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991841[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991842[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991844[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991845[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991846[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991847[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]991858[/ATTACH]
      Skack is back!! How’s Ol Bishop been?

Comment

Hunting in the Mississippi Delta I have killed 5 banded ducks. All mallards. One was double banded. The 2nd band was green and had a $10 reward on it. Another one that I sent info in on was odd as instead of a certificate, I received a questionnaire from the Feds requesting exact location where the duck was harvested. At the bottom of the questionnaire was a statement about fines and penalties if duck was taken illegally. After several phone calls trying to figure out what the deal was I finally got my answer. The duck was banded somewhere Northwest of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and should have been in the Central Flyway and not the Mississippi Flyway. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
          Skack is back!! How’s Ol Bishop been?
          Hahahahahahaha.....that dude faded off into the sunset when his alterego got ***** slapped by the bowhunting bug again....oh... and got old... ..

Bishop seems to be doing good. He and OYW are still hard at it!

Neither as cool as pretty boy DukSlayer..

Comment

Shot a banded blue wing teal in 2014. First shot of the season. Also duck hunted a friends property one time for the first time ever, he had never even duck hunted, had a drake and a hen pintail circling our spread and I told him to shoot the sprig and I’d take the hen. Birds come in and we both fold our birds. His was one of the most unique colored pintail drakes I’d ever seen and it was banded

Comment

I been on hunts this year that 6 banded birds have been killed.

I have 25 bands and 3 collars. On 3 different occasions I've killed 2 banded birds on those hunts. 2 of those 3 hunts were a pair of mating specks and a pair of mating snows, the other hunt had a speck and blue.

DUKFVR on the other hand has a pickup truck bed full of bands.

Comment

One year quite a few whitewings were wearing them like jewelry

Comment

The one and only goose I ever shot was banded... and apparently he was banded at a local park pond about 30 miles away. Somebody was probably hand feeding him bread that morning.

Comment

Originally posted by twdjr View Post
                    I been on hunts this year that 6 banded birds have been killed.

I have 25 bands and 3 collars. On 3 different occasions I've killed 2 banded birds on those hunts. 2 of those 3 hunts were a pair of mating specks and a pair of mating snows, the other hunt had a speck and blue.

Most likely 2 truck beds would be a more accurate statement

Comment

I have killed 5. Two redheads, two pintails, and a white wing dove. Unfortunately I lost all of my duck bands when my truck was stolen a couple years back.

Comment

Had 2 mallards killed with green money bands on them when guiding 5 yrs ago.
                        Me personally none, but have had 4-5 shot by my hunters.

Comment

I've got 2 that I saved... both woodie drakes... Second one was special for me as it was the first duck I got with my bow on the Rio Grande of all places! had him mounted. Had several geese over the years. One neck band off a snow.

Comment

I've got 9 goose bands and 6 duck bands, plus one of the geese (a blue) was neck banded. Seen quite a few others killed. Got one on a goose hunt a couple weeks ago that I'm pretty sure I killed, but everybody was shooting so we drew for it......not a winner. Best story was during teal season a few years ago 2 came in and landed. My son was small so I told him to swat one, which he did. The other flushed toward my buddy and he 3 pump chumped and it flew off. The one my son shot was banded. I told my buddy the other one was surely banded since they band family groups. He's still sick about it.
                            One other was on a goose hunt with my son and daughter. I was on a long pickup and 4 or 5 snows decoyed in. They shot and only knocked one down.....it was banded. I asked who got it before I revealed the band. My son conceded that his sister had gotten it.....she was pretty happy.

Comment

I have shot one banded wood duck hen, and have been on hunts where two bands were killed. Also been on a couple of goose hunts where bands were taken.

Comment

Originally posted by twdjr View Post

But how many are his holy grail spoonie bands?

Comment

Working...
                                X