No announcement yet.

Mechanical for Elk/Red deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot elk with mechanicals and cut on contact, right placement= dead elk. When I guided elk hunters in Colorado, rifle hunters wounded more than bow hunters. If it doesn't drop, they assume they missed and don't go look. I had three elk waste on my property this year alone third rifle, hunting too close to boundaries, taking 500-600yard shots. So practice, be ethical, it's all you can do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Good ole Rage Hypodermics dropped this one in his tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot a heavier arrow

Comment

The 1 3/8” GR with Razor Tip would work great. As would a Grave Digger hybrid. I think both of these will penetrate better than any Rage. And like others have said, maybe try a heavier arrow. For years I shot an arrow similar to your arrow weight and frequently had penetration issues. Changed arrows and now shoot 515gr, and have blown through every deer for the last two years.

Comment

QAD Exodus. Expandables "will work", but a good fixed head will work better, especially when hitting a rib closer to the shoulder, then needing that little bit more energy a fixed head carries to get to the vitals.

Comment

My buddy @Covvboyz got a full pass through using Rage Chisel tip on his elk. Was 100gr head dont know what his total arrow weight was

Comment

Ive shot several with that weight arrow and rocket steelheads on 1.5 rages. I never had a problem but have since switched to a 480-grain arrow.

Comment

I lost what would have been my biggest bow kill in CO. was shooting 70 lbs , but my arrow was to light and I had a mechanical head. Hit him perfect at 40 yards for double lung. I got one lung and never saw him again. I now have two bows with two set ups. My CO setup is full length heavy arrow with 125 gr fixed muzzy. I found with fall away rest my fIxed fly fine. I have not lost another bull. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                    Ive shot several with that weight arrow and rocket steelheads on 1.5 rages. I never had a problem but have since switched to a 480-grain arrow.

my buddy has killed several elk with his rocket steelheads but its such a small cutting diameter.

my issue is I have such a short draw length, if I bump up weight I lose so much speed.

To date I have not had any penetration issues, everything I have shot has been a passthru.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      my buddy has killed several elk with his rocket steelheads but its such a small cutting diameter.

my issue is I have such a short draw length, if I bump up weight I lose so much speed.

To date I have not had any penetration issues, everything I have shot has been a passthru.
                      I’m a short DL guy (28”) and speed has always been a concern for me as well. But I still think slow and heavy trumps fast and light.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        But I still think slow and heavy trumps fast and light.
                        It does, oh, and slow is relative. Remember, lots of folks killing critters with stick bows

Comment

If I was gonna shoot a mechanical it would be the Sevr 1.5 or 1.7(not the 2.1 for elk) or the Rage +P 1.5 cut. Have had good luck with these on elk and mule deer. The Grim Reaper Fatal Steel has also been a good one for penetration for a mechanical!

Comment

I've killed several elk with the Rage Hypodermics. Worked like a charm. My elk guide in New Mexico swears by them.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                              I've killed several elk with the Rage Hypodermics. Worked like a charm. My elk guide in New Mexico swears by them.
                              Ive seen the 2in Hypos work also but have seen a lack of penetration on 2 occasions on elk around 40 yds hit behind the shoulder(but we did recover both elk) out of bows producing more energy than mine so I steer clear of them for my 27.5 draw. I believe its due to the Hypos steep blade angle.

Comment

Shot a red stag at 58 yards with the exact same arrow weight and speed as you have. Was using a 100 gr spittfire and got a full pass through.

Comment

Working...
                                X