Home inspector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home inspector

Alright so I’ve been a firefighter for 18 years, just completed my BAAS degree and am now embarking on another venture. I am starting school to become a property inspector. Any of y’all do this for a living? Primary employment or as a side gig? Let me know what y’all think about it as a means of income. I’d like to have this established so I can continue this when I retire in about 10-15 years.

I cant tell you how ****** I am at my recent home inspection
    The guy came in and dinged me for several things that he did not know how to operate... for instance rain sensor was tripped bc it had just rained so he put the irrigation system was in need of repair by tech..also he broke one of my tub handles from over tightening it..it busted the valve so deep the entire fixture had to be replaced. If it stops going you stop tightening you would think..but not this tool.
    Good luck and make sure you tread lightly when in other people's homes.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
      Alright so I’ve been a firefighter for 18 years, just completed my BAAS degree and am now embarking on another venture. I am starting school to become a property inspector. Any of y’all do this for a living? Primary employment or as a side gig? Let me know what y’all think about it as a means of income. I’d like to have this established so I can continue this when I retire in about 10-15 years.
      My wife and I, both Realtors, use one particular guy when our clients go under contract and during the option period. He did about 20 just for us last year, sure he has a lot more than just us, and he charges about $400+ for each property.

Probably a good gig for a FF because of shift work. As the other poster stated, there are some "tools" out there, I've ran into one or two, and will never use them again.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great input so far. My wife too is in real estate and we have purchased about 8 homes since we’ve been married... Having access to MLS is not always a good thing. I too have had some bad experiences with inspectors and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to embark on this journey. I look forward to hearing more from y’all on this.

Comment

You should contact Brad Lane in the Cedar Park fire marshal's office. I work with him and he was doing inspections before he got stuck in the FM office. I dont have his personal number but they should give it to you if you call up there

Comment

Ok cool thanks.. I’ve spoken to Matt Shapiro with Leander FD, he too is an inspector. I knew him when he was an ATCEMS medic. He’s been doing it a while and said he enjoyed it. I promoted to Captain in 2012 and haven’t done any projecting since. I’m excited about this and look forward to turning it into something I can retire with someday.

Comment

I’ve been inspecting homes for 15 years now. It can be a very good source of income if you put a little work into advertising. Sellers hate us and buyers usually love us. Just remember you don’t work for the seller, you don’t work for the realtor, you work for your client. Most people I see complain about us inspectors have no ideal that inspectors have a standard of practice they have to follow that is enforced by the state. Take AFCI breakers for example it doesn’t matter how old the home is, It is required by the state that the absence of AFCI be marked as deficient. My report typically says deficient but common for a home of this age. PM me if you have any questions.

Comment

@JRFAN, thanks for the contact, I’m sure I will have some questions. I’m going through AHIT, it was recommended to me by a couple fellas. It’s both on-line and 8 days in person. What schooling did you use?

Comment

I did it for a few years on the side . Not bad money

Comment

I went through Kaplan in Plano but did the correspondence course. Take the exam
                    Prep course and you will be fine.

Comment

Isn’t there a permit or some kind of expensive insurance you need to carry? I talked to a guy a few years back that did it on the side. Said he quit because something was high but I can’t remember what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My insurance is around 1500.00 a year and metrotex membership is 500.00 a year. Metrotex will get you your Supra key so you can access the properties.

Comment

Ya, there are costs associated with any business. If your not doing enough volume to justify paying less then 5k annually in any business, you probably should rethink your model and make adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                            Isn’t there a permit or some kind of expensive insurance you need to carry? I talked to a guy a few years back that did it on the side. Said he quit because something was high but I can’t remember what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            My best guess would be Errors and Omissions insurance.

Comment

I was going to do it in Colorado about 15 years ago and they had a 2000 hour apprenticeship attached to it to be licensed but nobody wanted to take me on because they didn't want the competition. They pay an apprentice as little as possible and drag out the 2000 hours for as long as possible to get cheap labor for as long as they can. Not sure what Texas has as far as requirements. Worth checking in to.

Comment

Working...
                              X