No announcement yet.

Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well they just called and said it’s the steering damper. Of course it’s on backorder and they can’t tell me when its gonna come in.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      IMO ford is just chasing the dragons tail with the death wobble
      Those hard heads could engineer a IFS eliminating the DW
      But that would mean admission of incompetence by ford engineers
      $75000+ for a new truck and no results
      IFS on a 3/4 ton and 1 ton is no bueno. Wait until you start having to replace worn parts. Those Tie Rods do not hold up under load in 4X4.

They do handle good, I will give you that.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
        Well they just called and said it’s the steering damper. Of course it’s on backorder and they can’t tell me when its gonna come in.

Option 1 - leave at Ford for weeks waiting for another known weak OEM stabilizer and be mad about it.

Option 2 - take it home and spend a couple hundred putting a good aftermarket dual stabilizer on and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
          IFS on a 3/4 ton and 1 ton is no bueno. Wait until you start having to replace worn parts. Those Tie Rods do not hold up under load in 4X4.

They do handle good, I will give you that.
          I've worn out several frontends in the last 3/4 million miles or so on them. Those parts are cheap, I replace with better stuff, and have a real front end shop do it, and none of my trucks have ever tried to kill me. I bet I've spent 4k on those parts and labor over that time....I'll take that trade all day.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Option 1 - leave at Ford for weeks waiting for another known weak OEM stabilizer and be mad about it.

Option 2 - take it home and spend a couple hundred putting a good aftermarket dual stabilizer on and be done with it.
            Option 1 is gonna be it. Sucks, but Im not gonna give them a reason in the future to say that Ive voided any kind of warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I've worn out several frontends in the last 3/4 million miles or so on them. Those parts are cheap, I replace with better stuff, and have a real front end shop do it, and none of my trucks have ever tried to kill me. I bet I've spent 4k on those parts and labor over that time....I'll take that trade all day.
              You've had better luck than me than. Had two chevy 3/4 ton with IFS suspension. Had a ton of problems. Way more than any of my Fords and Dodges with Solid front axles. I do all the work myself, so solid front axles are way easier to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                Option 1 is gonna be it. Sucks, but Im not gonna give them a reason in the future to say that Ive voided any kind of warranty.
                No reason why they should void your warranty because you changed your own shock out. I would order the Bilstein replacement one and give it to them for them to swap out or you can do it yourself. As I have mentioned before I think the issue is the track bar.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, since Dodge has the same “method” as Ford of how they do their front ends why do they not seem to have the huge number of issues that Ford does with death wobble. It is the same basic system but something is obviously different.

Chevy and GMC is different so I understand why they don’t have it.

Not trying to start a brand war at all, I sold my last Super Duty because of it, currently drive a Tundra, but will go back to a diesel once this Tundra pays off. Doing research I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, since Dodge has the same “method” as Ford of how they do their front ends why do they not seem to have the huge number of issues that Ford does with death wobble. It is the same basic system but something is obviously different.

Chevy and GMC is different so I understand why they don’t have it.

Not trying to start a brand war at all, I sold my last Super Duty because of it, currently drive a Tundra, but will go back to a diesel once this Tundra pays off. Doing research I guess.
                    The older Dodges use to have death wobbles. They've recalled a lot of trucks for the same issue. I know they re designed the sway bar end links as well as other components. I'm guessing they just had their engineers figure out the problem and that was that. When I drove the older dodges I would always replace the track bars and other components with aftermarket parts that were built stronger and better. Never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                      You've had better luck than me than. Had two chevy 3/4 ton with IFS suspension. Had a ton of problems. Way more than any of my Fords and Dodges with Solid front axles. I do all the work myself, so solid front axles are way easier to work on.
                      Same here. I was in 2" of mud (Something I never thought would require 4wd, but it did). Put in 4wd, let off the brake and eased onto the accelerator. Half shaft CV joint snapped almost immediately. Truck had maybe 5000 miles on it.

Comment

Just got my 2019 with 10,000 miles out of the shop. The steering feels a lot better....Hoping this will last. I was in contact with Ford Customer service, they were working on getting me a lease truck. Ford said if you have a truck that is under warranty, they will get you a lease ride at their expense until yours is fixed.

Comment

Dale, you got a recommendation for a GOOD front end shop in the North FW area?

I have never experienced DW in my 2017 F250, however I can feel the front end being somewhat looser over the last few months.

Would like to have it taken care of before I do possibly experience the DW...

Comment

I always used Fort Worth champion spring, just south of downtown on Henderson, I believe. Not super convenient, but they do awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I always used Fort Worth champion spring, just south of downtown on Henderson, I believe. Not super convenient, but they do awesome work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they do good solid work I have no problem with that location.

Appreciate the info

Comment

My boss has been fighting Ford for the past 3 month to get the wobble fixed. It’s fixed for about a week then comes back. This final time has been good so far. Been 2 weeks lol

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Working...
                                X