Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wonder why Insurance is stupid expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't blame drug companies. I mean you can but all that will do is mean less cures/drugs in the future. If those companies didn't make a lot of money when they find a drug that works they would never get the speculative money to do all the trials to begin with.

And people with pre-existing conditions were screwed before this mess started with O care. And people needing million dollar procedures were rejected also before this mess. As harsh as it sounds there are limits.

The best we could do is go back to the way it was 10 years ago. Or at minimum make people accountable. No free insurance if you don't work. I swear everyone has an excuse to not work anymore. Go back to the Little House on the Prairie days. You can not work...you can be homeless.. It's America. But you won't get stuff for free. Imagine a world where we're each responsible for our own families. Forbid that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Nah! Us naysayers just got real lucky when Obamacrap first started. We really had no idea it would turn out bad. I mean has any sector been part taken over by government ever gone down hill?

See: Amtrak, USPS ETC

Comment

Just imagine govt healthcare!

Anyone for single payer needs to look into how these systems decide who gets treatment. It’s based on quality adjusted life years.
        If you are on the fence about government healthcare PLEASE look it up.

Boils down to: if the government doesn’t feel like they’ll get their investment (ie life saving treatments at times) back through you paying into the system after your treatment then said treatment can be denied, in many cases
        Last edited by JLivi1224; 01-14-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Can't blame drug companies. I mean you can but all that will do is mean less cures/drugs in the future. If those companies didn't make a lot of money when they find a drug that works they would never get the speculative money to do all the trials to begin with.

And people with pre-existing conditions were screwed before this mess started with O care. And people needing million dollar procedures were rejected also before this mess. As harsh as it sounds there are limits.

The best we could do is go back to the way it was 10 years ago. Or at minimum make people accountable. No free insurance if you don't work. I swear everyone has an excuse to not work anymore. Go back to the Little House on the Prairie days. You can not work...you can be homeless.. It's America. But you won't get stuff for free. Imagine a world where we're each responsible for our own families. Forbid that happen.
          Agree. And little House comment refers back to when we helped family and friends. Not the Government. Wish life was that simple. It could be but it is not as we all know. Good points. Wish more sources was there for rare diseases as only those big tickets which make drug companies richer are being investing in research. Who can blame. They are a business no matter how much we throw stones but right is right and wrong is wrong. Sad with all our technology and tax money going ???.
          And accountable: d## straight. This is the starting point. Even if it is just "I am sorry I need help" Thank You if you can! Simple appreciation and kindness with humbleness is worth a fortune in my book.

Comment

Clarify to above comment: drug companies are not clean.
            Some blame does go to drug companies. Research and it will melt your heart. Dangerous people exist in this business and do influence radically the paths of Medical folks business and Insurance and even Uncle Sam. I have researched and know as well as any to be careful what you read. It is a mess! Those who do the right thing and provide solutions, may God Bless.
            Drugs. Docs. Nurses. Leaders. Me and You. and Patients willing to do the right things. Can not help someone who refuses to help themselves!
            My family member did not get ill due to mistakes in life to clarify. But even if did, accountability applies either way on both sides of the field.
            River Rat 1 my intent is friendly and see your great points well. It is tough.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
              Just imagine govt healthcare!

Anyone for single payer needs to look into how these systems decide who gets treatment. It’s based on quality adjusted life years.
              If you are on the fence about government healthcare PLEASE look it up.

Boils down to: if the government doesn’t feel like they’ll get their investment (ie life saving treatments at times) back through you paying into the system after your treatment then said treatment can be denied, in many cases
              Then affirmative action healthcare will come into play. Oh how lovely that would be.

Only a small fraction of new drugs ever make it to market. And each try cost 10's of millions. It's more the governments fault for making the trials so costly. You know how much it costs just to apply for a new drug? And that fee is paid way before FDA panels approve or deny the drug.

Take away the money and please tell me who will find new cures and drugs. No way volunteer Dr's etc could even come 1/100th close to what the markets make possible.
              Last edited by RiverRat1; 01-14-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Google search on Darwin and insurance

Thought I would google search Darwin insurance
                Thought provoking on how to fix healthy insurance

P.s the democratic debate is on right now talking about health care

“”The Darwin Awards of the Insurance Industry
                Kevin Trokey on March 25, 2019
                I’m sure you’re familiar with the theories of Charles Darwin, but have you ever heard of the Darwin Awards? If not, you have to check them out. In a word, UNBELIEVABLE.

A Google search for the awards returns a link to the website along with the briefest explanation of what they are about: “Chlorinating the gene pool.” With that temptation, how in the world could you resist clicking through?! Once clicked, the spirit of the awards becomes even more apparent, “We commemorate those who improve our gene pool--by removing themselves from it in the most spectacular way possible.”

The sometimes fatal endings aside, the stories are the type that make you shake your head in disbelief and feel better, oh-so-much-better, about your own life decisions. One story tells of a young man who, while relieving himself in the woods, decided it might be a good idea to take a selfie with an injured bear he encountered. Spoiler alert – this was not a good idea, AT ALL. Or another young man who, at the end of a booze cruise, decided to do handstands on the rail of the boat. Makes me think of my brother who has always said he hopes his last words are, “Hey, watch this!”

Clearly, these awards are a nod to Charles Darwin, who famously observed that the natural selection of the species would be the result of the survival of the fittest. But remember, the fittest among us aren’t necessarily the biggest or the strongest, they’re those who are most adaptable to change.””

Comment

Medical bills are reported to be the number one cause of U.S. bankruptcies.

Comment

Take care of ones self! Pay the price if you do not. (I do not like that one!) Help those who it is realistic to do so and without judgement. Learn, set examples and be wise to share tips of right and wrong (I do not like that one either). Accept what comes our way when we do what we can and it does not work. We have a full blown right to say NO in many situations. So does the Medical world whether right or wrong. Do not condemn yourself if you could not help or even chose not too. Life is too short. I am just a learner.
                    Man this thread got intense! Good. some need to read this stuff. And Million Bucks. Nope. No path to any answer there and screwed, yep. It is what it is!
                    Darwin, what do we do? I was born in Sinton by the way Pilar. Do not see that big city mentioned much.

Comment

Trump would have fixed some of this if the democrats would quit trying to get him out of office

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        Trump would have fixed some of this if the democrats would quit trying to get him out of office
                        Key word some to fix this someone is going to get alienated or start crying”’ hey what about us “ it’s going to take some very unpleasant divisive action
                        Like saying you smoked 3 packs a day and got COPD , lung cancer = tough luck should have spent your cig money better
                        Or you are a alcoholic and have cirrhosis or kidney, liver cancer = tough
                        AIDS = tough
                        Drug addiction hepatitis C = tough
                        Abortion laws are going to have to change, better prenatal genetic testing , forced sterilization for mentally ill ( bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ect) nip that genetic stuff in the bud
                        Fixing this headache is going to hurt some feelings
                        “ you can please some of the people, but not all of the people “

P.s big pet peeve gastric bypass paid by insurance “ drink 12 Dr Pepper and eat 6 burger and fries a day help me insurance company or I will die = tough cookie
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-14-2020, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          No insurance?
                          No have “good insurance”...the total bill to insurance was close to 700 actually

Our part was about 12k...I’ve dealt with a few different billers and have got an average of 40 percent to pay off those

The rest was lumped into one bill (thank God) and I pay it monthly

I had cancer 4 years ago and my part was about 10k. The CT and MRI’s get expensive quick

But like I said the Texas Children’s was like Lambo Mercedes Bentley care for Tha Boy and mine was Methodist/Baylor and was like Cadillac Lincoln El Camino care (still great but not TCH level)

Comment

4 hour heart surgery on a newborn $280,000
                            30 days in NICU $800,000
                            Followed by a second heart surgery and 2 weeks in the PICU....
                            I hear ya, insane!

Comment

Too many profit centers within our medical system and all of them want to make the most off of you when you are most vulnerable. The Democrats are pushing that other 1st world countries are getting better results than us at 1/4 the cost. Medicare part D was a grand slam for the lobbyist. Republicans need to get some traction on this issue or they are going to lose seats. I'm and independent and willing to vote for either party that comes up with real solutions to our health care issues. so far I have seen no real solutions. Maybe both parties should quit relying on lobbyist to formulate their legislation.
                              Last edited by PlanoDano; 01-15-2020, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Another thing that bugs me: Good Rx, and prescriptions!!! Why can't prescriptions just have the same cost? Sir your order is $769, we'll ma'm let me show you this coupon I found for free online while in line (huge line) at your pharmacy. "Oh why didn't you say something, ok your new total is $4.37.

Ridiculous games

Comment

Working...
                                X