Where to find pork fat (north FtW area)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find pork fat (north FtW area)

Anyone have a good outlet for pork fat or trimmings in the north Fort Worth / Watauga / Keller area?

I prefer to butcher my own deer. The past few years I've put all of my grinding meat into bacon burger. However, my daughters are clamoring for breakfast sausage the way my dad used to make it. The last time I made it I was living in Brown County. 2 years ago I snooped around in north Forth Worth area and didn't find any before time was running out to get my meat in the freezer.
    Last edited by Djhester; 01-07-2020, 04:36 PM. Reason: minor typo

You can buy 5# packages of bacon ends and pieces at most grocery stores. They grind up easy

Comment

Why not get beef fat that is trimmed off at a butcher that they typically throw away?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
        Why not get beef fat that is trimmed off at a butcher that they typically throw away?
        In the past, I'd been able to find pork fat that the butcher was throwing away and pick it up for free. I found 1 butcher who was willing to work with me up here a couple years ago. I figured with all the TBHer's on here someone may save me a lot of phone calls or miles.

I'm thinking the bacon ends may be a good plan if they aren't outrageously priced.

Comment

Not sure about that area, but in the Tyler area all grocery stores will save trimmings for you. The most I've paid is $2.99 a pound... I think. Most of the time it's $1.99 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
            Not sure about that area, but in the Tyler area all grocery stores will save trimmings for you. The most I've paid is $2.99 a pound... I think. Most of the time it's $1.99 or less.
            Thanks.

When I dealt with this a couple years ago, most of the stores told me that they didn't actually cut up their own pork. For instance, all of the Albertson's in the area had it trimmed in one store. The butcher there said he'd save it for me, then was out with the flu when I went by to pick it up a couple days later. The other employees had thrown it out. I plan to try there again on the way home from work.

Comment

I’ve got a bunch of beef fat if anyone wants some. It sure is pretty. I just got too much. Tastes awesome with ground venison

Comment

If you end up using the bacon ends and pieces make sure you don't use premix seasoning, it will be too salty.

Comment

Albertsons cuts their own. Been able to pick it up cheap there.

Comment

Give Old Plantation Meats in Springtown a call call.
                    They butcher meat there and probably have what you are looking for.

Comment

Billy Bob's on a Friday night has plenty of it.

Comment

I used to get it free at Old Town meat market, but it's been a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Billy Bob's on a Friday night has plenty of it.

Most accurate location in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Albertsons came through for me. Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Djhester View Post
                              Albertsons came through for me. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X