Question on Tig welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Tig welding.

I’m interested in getting a Tig set up for some projects.
    I found a Tig torch on FB that states that it will use the power from a stick machine, and just connect to Argon. No dedicated Tig power supply needed. I have an SA 200, and Miller 185 mig welder now.
    Anybody used one of these? Any issues? Will they work fairly well?
    Thanks in advance.

Most likely on carbon and stainless steel where you run DC current.

Comment

You can tig with your sa-200, just hook it up electrode negative (straight polarity). Yes you will need a bottle of argon and regulator also. You can tig carbon steel or ss.

Comment

As stated above; for aluminum you will need a high frequency AC power supply.

Comment

Just remember to reverse your leads and all will be good to go.

Comment

To do aluminum you will need an AC/DC machine and a high frequency out put. I use a Miller HF251 and it has served me well hooked to a Miller Shopmaster power source.

Comment

Originally posted by mbf View Post
              You can tig with your sa-200, just hook it up electrode negative (straight polarity). Yes you will need a bottle of argon and regulator also. You can tig carbon steel or ss.
              I didn’t fully understand your post until now. I was thinking that I could use my Arton a mix cylinder, and gauges,but after talking to a welder friend of mine, I now know that I’ll need a 100% Argon bottle and dedicated flow meter to make this work.
              Anybody got an Argon bottle they want to sell?

Comment

Update. I got an Argon bottle, and Flowmeter. I got it all set up yesterday afternoon, and had about an hour to mess with it. Ended up turning my welder way down to get a decent bead, but an unsure how to adjust it to match metal thickness, amperage and filler rod size. I’ve got a local welder friend that I’ll try to catch up with soon to see if he can look at my set up to make it work best.

Comment

Working...
                X