Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
    I am only around 15' high at that stand. Four rapid rails in a Black Walnut tree. I take a picture of the stand next time I hunt there and post it.

Back when I lived in Ohio '78-81, Mature Black Walnut brought a premium price. Just say-n.

Comment

In... very cool thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Back when I lived in Ohio '78-81, Mature Black Walnut brought a premium price. Just say-n.
        All of my tree stands are in Black Walnuts. We have got a lot of 10" - 20"+. I would hate to have to get the loggers in here though. I told my wife if anything happens to me and she needs money there is a Black Walnut IRA account down in the crick bottom.[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I went back to the Pinch Point stand this morning. It was 20 degrees with some wind. My weather app said it feels like 10. I agree.

I only had a single doe for the morning, but my wife saw one of the big bucks in the bean field across the road. She was standing on our front porch when she took the pictures of the buck. I was right on the other side of the treeline in the Pinch Point stand when she took the pictures of the buck. I never saw him. He was on a hot doe so he is going to be hard to get unless the doe walks under my stand.

Comment

Be nice if you could get that one ! I’m enjoying this thread. My wife’s father was from Iowa, she has some kinfolks still living there.

Comment

Hunted up there 2 years ago during the first shotgun season. Never saw so many big deer in my life. Every tree, even telephone poles were rubbed up. Awesome and very cold experience!! Good luck

Comment

This is a good thread. I’m enjoying it very much

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Be nice if you could get that one ! I’m enjoying this thread. My wife’s father was from Iowa, she has some kinfolks still living there.
                  We love it up here. It's like going back in time. Our county is the home to one of the largest Amish communities in Iowa. All the businesses in Bloomfield have a hitching post.

I was in the local hardware store yesterday. It's called Hamilton Produce. They don't have a ounce of produce but if you need a wheel bearing for a 1951 Farmall M they will ask you "How many do you need?" I needed a 14" peice of 1 1/2" square tube and two 1' prices of 1 1/2" angle iron. They cut everything to length and drilled 8 holes in the angle iron for me. You can get anything from Carhartt clothing, to plumbing and electrical supplies, to propane...but no produce.[emoji846]

Comment

Here today....gone tomorrow. My neighbor cut the bean field the evening where my wife saw the big buck this morning. I was in a tree stand just on the other side of the tree line. I wouldn't be surprised if the deer are not back in there tomorrow. After beans are cut there are a lot left on the ground.

I got down and moved to the Terrace stand behind our house. I had some Jinx'em doe in estrous fresh 100% urine on a drag rag. This young 8 came right to it. This is the 9th eight point I have had right under my tree stand. I have only had one look at me and he didn't know what I was and did not spook. I just need a shooter that close.

Comment

It's gonna happen for ya! I just don't know when.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        It's gonna happen for ya! I just don't know when.
                        I have got till early December on this first part of bow season. Then there is two firearms seasons, then on December 23 bow season opens back up for 3 weeks. Sooner or later I will get a chance at a good one. Thru this morning I have seen 25 bucks. I have had 8 or 9 right under my stand. I haven't drawn back on one yet. Just enjoy being out here and hunting. I have a .450 Bushmaster that I will pull out during firearms if necessary.[emoji846]

Oh BTW.....it's 16 degrees this morning.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-08-2019, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Cold!

Comment

I just rattled a shooter in from about 300 yards to 18 yards. Had kind a a tough shot angle but I am pretty sure I saw him crash. I am got to look now.

Comment

I just rattled a shooter in from about 300 yards to 18 yards. Had kind a a tough shot angle but I am pretty sure I saw him crash. I am got to look now.

Comment

Heck yea! Good luck on recovery!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X