No announcement yet.

What the word on Christensen Arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had a handful of full customs that shoot lights out. Ranging from $2400-4700. I’ve shot A Ridgeline. It shot ok, but nothing special. I’ve shot 6 different Seekins Havaks so far, and everyone shot as well as any of my customs. I regularly stretch my Havak out with excellent results. I considered a Ridgeline for a bit, but couldn’t pull the trigger. Too many questionable experiences, and my own didn’t exactly wow me. This time last year if you asked me would I own a rifle other than a full custom I’d have laughed in your face. I’m currently looking to pick up another Havak.

Comment

looking at a SPR in 300 PRC, little over $2,000. leaves me $2,000 for scope

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
        These days I can justify either a $500 mess-around gun, or a full custom APR. Everything in between feels like a waste of money. It isn't just right, and it's too expensive not to be.
        Exactly.

Comment

Different strokes, for different folks. As a gun owner, hunter, and a person that has experienced the entire cycle of maturing through $300 packaged out of the box rifles to custom rifles, I find it to be solid advice to skip the first 30 years of poor decisions. Not to say that an out of the box purchase is a bad financial decision. BUT it’s a gamble with precision. However precision is only part of it. I occasionally will grab a stock out of the box rifle from the safe and knock the dust off. I quickly realize at moderate distance the comfort is hindering precision as much as the rifle is. If I was to start all over with the same experiences I have now, I would ever purchase an out of the box gun. I would pick 4-5 platforms that range from bench guns (range fun), mountain (lightweight), and calibers (various game) and build a rifle in each.

There is a saying, “be careful for the guy with only rifle” for a reason, so I would attempt to stay within this mindset. I’m far from that today, with dozens of rifles that will never be fired by me ever again.

I also understand the idea of piecing together build and hand selecting each component, sourcing out the best deal for each, and then having a builder assemble. I’m just personally not that guy, I’m ok with the gun maker making some money off me because I’m going to want to talk about every component. In addition, if something fails, and I provided the parts the warranty is somewhat wonky. Purely my preference, and I’m not going to build 50 custom rifles. If I was, I would be MUCH more price conscious. In summary, I would find a builder you like, and build a rifle that fits your needs.

Contrary to all of this- I recently (2 or so years ago) purchased a RPR in a .308, and it was ok for an out of the box rifle. At 100 yards it was 1 hole, and 6 it would open up, a little. I had a bartlein barrel put on it in a CM, and it shoots as well as a $5,000 custom rifle. It didn’t at first, but with some love, it’s a 1,000 yard gun.

Comment

I've purchased 3 Christensen rifles

300NM MPR- This thing is a tack driver with the ABM ammo. 1/2 MOA rifle.

6.5 PRC MPR - Very accurate as well. .75 MOA average though probably more due to me than rifle

300 WM Ridgeline - very picky on ammo. I tried 5 different brands before trying some Berger factory loaded 215gr ammo and it loves that. 1/2 MOA.

I know some have reported issues with their Christensens. I think some of that is that the ones happy with their rifles don't go posting about it. But I do also think Christensen has shown some customer service failures when people have had issues.

One other thing, the actions on the Christensen are not as smooth as you would expect at this price point. My $550 Tikka T3x 300 WSM is much smoother, as is my TAC A1. The Christensen is rumored to do better after some use but I haven't sat and cycled the bolt like others have just to try and smooth it out.

Comment

Mine shoot's pretty awesome. I have no issues with it.

Comment

Picked up a Mesa 6.5 PRC two weeks ago and love it! It shoots better than I can and really looking forward to getting it out to 600. Great trigger, and action for a stock rifle.

Comment

Working...
                X