No announcement yet.

Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people can make ethical kills at 900 yards time and time again with a rifle and then there are people who can make 50-yard ethical kills time and time again with a bow just because some people can't do it doesn't mean they have to hate everybody who can I can't make either one ethically but I have seen it done time and time again some people are just better than others don't hate

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. People wanna tell you that you shouldn't because they can't. I wouldn't dream of taking a shot like that, but that's because I haven't trained like that.

Comment

I hope one day I have the skill to take a animal at long ranges but till then I won’t even think about trying it. I enjoy watching videos of highly skilled hunters taking those shots, they use the best tools out there to get the job done. The animals in the videos are usually DRT or only make it a few yards before tumbling over.

Comment

I have no problem with someone shooting past 500 at a deer if they are capable. Heck, I’m guilty at gut shooting a deer at 100. I was a teenager and could shoot a lot better than that but I rushed a shot and that was the result. Ended up putting another round in him and finishing within 15 seconds though. And I’ve dabbled in the long range shooting as well shooting steel. Worse thing I could have done was shoot a deer at 605 yards. That was an expensive mistake because I immediately lost all interest in shooting deer with a rifle and since then I now own three top end bows... lol. I could have gone on a hunt of a lifetime with my rifle with what I’ve spent on archery in the last 3-4 years.... but, it’s hard to beat drawing back on a deer or elk at 20 yards! Which adds to the cost since this was my second year in a row to go to Colorado and kill an elk.

Oh well, I’m ruined now and stuck on archery... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Long range hunting?

I think as long as someone can cleanly, ethically and confidently make a good shot it is fine. The question by some is “is it hunting?” The answer is yes. Personally I don’t take very long shots at game, simply because I don’t have the skill set or confidence. Just because others have that skill set does not make me more of a hunter than they are. I think as sportsmen we get to caught up in battling one another and forget that we all play for the same team.

Last edited by huntindude; 10-10-2019, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Larkin trolling TBH again!!! Go home JT, you’re drunk!

Comment

I think a lot of long range hunting is logistics and perception.

There is a lot of difference in big western country (Montana, Wyoming) where their average shot range is longer than the longest shot we could take in East Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                  Larkin trolling TBH again!!! Go home JT, you’re drunk!

Lol You have seen how far I will shoot a bow. I am not questioning the ethic of shooting long range if that’s what it takes to kill an animal. I am questioning why you would purposely get a long *** way to shoot one when you could get closer.

Comment

The way I see if, if you are at a range that is well within your skill to make a hit at a distance where the animal can't move enough to make a difference in the shot before the bullet can hit then I'd consider that "ethical" even if not my thing.

Plenty of dudes shouldn't even be shooting at 50 yards, much less 500 and above and there are dudes who can make 800 yard shots better than I can shoot at 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                      Since this is “my thing”, I’ll bite.
                      I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
                      Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.
                      Well said, Sir.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Comment

I feel like the game and hunt area dictates a lot of long range hunting scenarios.
                        The other thing to remember is if they're on TV they're advertising the gear they're using and its capabilities in order to sell more of it so you're essentially just watching a commercial.
                        They probably wouldn't be able to sell as many custom 300 win mags with $4K scopes if they stalked within 120 yards to shoot because then we'd know we could already do that with granddaddies 30-06.
                        Seems most guides are gonna strive to give their hunters the opportunity they request.
                        As far as the hunters requesting it? Thats their call. I won't shoot a deer with my bow from more than 30yds but have no issue with shooting a deer from 600+yds. its just individual comfort level.

Comment

I wonder if you averaged 100 bowhunters 3 shots groups at 35 yards, and 100 long range shooters groups at 900 yards whos would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I wonder if you averaged 100 bowhunters 3 shots groups at 35 yards, and 100 long range shooters groups at 900 yards whos would be better.
                            IMO I don't think that would be apples-to-apples.
                            Now something like 35yds bow to 300yds rifle would be more comparable.
                            35 & 300 yards both seem just outside of average limits.
                            Obviously everyone's limitations are different though so it's hard to say.

Comment

1000 yards, 10 yards, rifle/bow, crossbow/compound/trad, same old tired debate. How ever someone chooses to hunt, if it's legal, have at it. The hunting community would be a much better one if everyone did what they wanted and minded their own business.

Comment

No one has answered the “why”? Because I can? Ego driven? What are the ramifications of being off by 3 mph on a crosswind estimation when shooting 800+ yards?

Comment

Working...
                                X