Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
    I think we hunted the same week last year, I was in unit 1 as well. Mind if I pm about the hunt?
    Don't mind at all. Be glad to talk with ya...

Comment

I was drawn for the 11/1-11/5 hunt. Ready to roll!

Comment

Do most people go after the Whitetails or is everyone after the Nilgai?

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
          I will be after both.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
            A lot more WT seem to be killed every year but nilgai seem to be the main draw for the place. It definitely was for me.

The rangers there I dealt with are professional enough, some of the rules are a bit silly but then again they get a bunch of DAs through there every year so I don't know where the balance is there... but they've been friendly and helpful enough to me. But like Navy Chief said, they aren't there to be your friend. Don't be a DA, follow the rules even if they are dumb, make sure you pass the attitude test and you'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
              For the guys that are hunting 11/15-11/19........how many days are y’all planning to hunt? I keep hearing that this a tough hunt and a lot of people give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Stick it out the full hunt!

Comment

does anyone feel more inclined to shoot expandables on account of the wind down there? last time i was there it was quite windy almost every day.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                  does anyone feel more inclined to shoot expandables on account of the wind down there? last time i was there it was quite windy almost every day.
                  On a nilgai? No way, unless I was shooting an xbow

Comment

Ideally, but whatever moves on four legs... will have to make sure the boys lay off the spotted cats tho...

we'll have both compound and crossbows in our party. Curious, why would you treat them differently? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                      Ideally, but whatever moves on four legs... will have to make sure the boys lay off the spotted cats tho...

we'll have both compound and crossbows in our party. Curious, why would you treat them differently? thanks.
                      Nilgai are dense animals, a compound is going to have a lot less energy to push an expandable through one vs an xbow. I personally would only use a sharp cut on contact fixed blade on a tank like a nilgai.

Yeah, you will be buried real deep under the jail if you shoot an ocelot, and deservedly so. Weird enough some of the Bobcats have long tails down there too, I spotted one I could have sworn was an ocelot until we got closer too it. The tail was super long but it was a bobcat.
                      If I recall correctly bobcat are off the list for shooting as well down there because of that reason

Comment

Fixed blade broadhead for me on Nilgai.

Also I hunt 2 hours north of that area and Bobcats are strictly off the animals we hunt. Lease owner doesn’t want any mistakes made given the Ocelot population there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                          Lease owner doesn’t want any mistakes made given the Ocelot population there.
                          Good man!

Comment

Can any of you veterans clarify something for me?

Reading the brochure that came with my permit, it states: "Field Dressing- Harvested big game must be field dressed before removal from the hunt unit. You may quarter your game."

On the third page of the brochure it states: "Cattle Fever Tick Rules- Hunters must place a tarp on their vehicle to eliminate contact with a deer or nilgai carcass. Hunters must skin deer and nilgai before leaving the refuge. A designated skinning station is provided."

My question is, if I quarter a deer or nilgai in the field and place the quarters and cuts in game bags, is a tarp still required for my truck bed? Also, am I required to bring any of the hide to the ranger station, or can I leave it all in the field? I euro mount all of my game, so would it be legal for me to skin the skull and leave that hide in the field as well, or do I have to bring the head in with the hide still on it?

I assume they will clear all of this up at the orientation, but I don't want to worry about for several months if I don't have to!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

They will clear this up for you. If you quarter the animal, they want you to bring back some of the hide so they can check.

Only the hide can not come in contact with your vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                                They will clear this up for you. If you quarter the animal, they want you to bring back some of the hide so they can check.

Only the hide can not come in contact with your vehicle
                                Yep, make sure you ask and get the ranger's name, the rules can be different depending on who you talk to but the general consensus is that you need to bring as much hide back as you can.

I'd still throw it all on a tarp too just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X