Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
    Got drawn for the general season hunt too! But I got drawn for the Balcones Canyonlands NWR on the same weekend in december. Since im stuck between the two, which do yall recommend taking the tags on? Thanks!
    I love Balcones however I would choose lanwr. Use to hunt there every year before tpwd took over the draw process. It is also a tough hunt but in different ways. I hunted lanwr for the first time two years ago and loved it. Was easily the toughest hunt I've ever experienced...cant wait to do it again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
      I'm on the same hunt dates as you. Will be staying in Port Isabel.

I think so. Any recommendations? I need to square that away asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        The refuge volunteers may help after dark. They won't drive in during hunting hours. Like was said before...have a network of folks that can help if you get a big bull.

I shot a whitetail buck last year & it was a chore getting it to the truck(2 miles away). Bicycle with homemade cart really helped. Take game bags. I had to make 2 trips(500 yards) to get meat to bicycle.

good luck
        I think me and my 2 buddies ran into you, Huntindad. If so, you were on your second trip, shirtless and sweating up a storm! Congrats on the public land deer

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
          That’s as cheap as it gets. I have seen them anywhere from $150-$180 for a box of 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Wow, that has to be the most expensive round in the market that I have ever seen!!

I'm sure it also does the job very well..

Comment

Been lurking this forum for a few years. Figure i'd finally sign up.

I'll be out there 11/15 to 11/19 grinding it out with the other 200 wackos

Comment

welcome, good luck and maybe we'll see you down there! no shortage of wackos that week

Comment

11/15 -11/19 We will be there again this year. Try and find a AirBNB. If you are staying at Adolph Thomae you will have to drive around to the south side to get access. They do not let you enter form the camp ground side and they watch it closely. Actually they watch all the rules very closely.
                Clean all the corn kernels out of your truck and wear your orange vest and hat, do not just drape them over you backpack.
                We learned a lot last year.

Sill a great hunt.

Comment

Alright well I’m locked and loaded and will be there the first weekend for the October hunt. Already made my reservations at Adolph Thomae park! Super pumped and hope everyone has great luck!

Comment

Two questions...1. If you shoot a deer do you have to use your tag on your license or do they have permits they give you like on a TPWD draw hunt? 2. What is the cell service like while hunting on the refuge?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
                      Two questions...1. If you shoot a deer do you have to use your tag on your license or do they have permits they give you like on a TPWD draw hunt? 2. What is the cell service like while hunting on the refuge?
                      1. You have to use the tags on your license.
                      2. Depends who your service provider is for cell service. I have used ATT and Cricket and both work good. Can't speak for the other cell providers.

Comment

Originally posted by WRasco View Post
                        11/15 -11/19 We will be there again this year. Try and find a AirBNB. If you are staying at Adolph Thomae you will have to drive around to the south side to get access. They do not let you enter form the camp ground side and they watch it closely. Actually they watch all the rules very closely.
                        Clean all the corn kernels out of your truck and wear your orange vest and hat, do not just drape them over you backpack.
                        We learned a lot last year.

Sill a great hunt.
                        Second that! - I got ticketed last year b/c we were out after sunset during scouting day - I had explained to both officers that we got lost and I even called the refuge manager letting him know that we got back to our car late ... still got ticketed

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                          Second that! - I got ticketed last year b/c we were out after sunset during scouting day - I had explained to both officers that we got lost and I even called the refuge manager letting him know that we got back to our car late ... still got ticketed

You should have fought it in court

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                            The Federal Game Wardens out there are completely asinine jackazzes. At least the ones I've encountered. Present your permit, have parking slip in your truck. Discuss no more. Carry on about your trip. They are not going to be your friend. You have no obligation to speak to them past checking permits. They do not care about anything other than fulfilling their mere obligations to write citations even without solid factual evidence. Been there.

Oh, do not forget, they read this thread. Watch what you post on here...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck, skunked out this year.

Comment

Got drawn but fighting a shoulder injury (rotator cuff). Don’t know how I’ll be that far out. Considering a crossbow. Are they allowed?

Comment

Working...
                                X