S.h.n.f. 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
    I'm anxious too - only problem is trying to get time off from work and school. BTW, how many of you all use a climber vs hang-on? Just asking since I just tried my new Summit Viper SD climber - didn't feel as comfortable or stable as hang-on (I have the cheap Game Winner from Academy and the GW steps).

I use a millennium, M7 clamp on with a set of the Muddy Pro sticks. I have used both but prefer the rock solid feel of the clamp on vs the climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tree options are greatly increased for my lonewolf lock on and climbing sticks, but my viper climber is much more comfortable.

I grew up as an "all day" hunter. Walk in before daylight and out after daylight.

On the viper, once setup, I'll run a strap around the tree for bottom and top. This will increase the solid feel and make more stable. I also use a rope attached top and bottom, this is in case the bottom slips it doesn't get out of reach.

Comment

Nice time scouting the Sam yesterday, it’s dry but still looking good.

Comment

I dont like being in a tree. Try to use a natural blind on the ground during archery. Wouldn't dare do it during rifle season though.

Comment

This weekend I got the bright idea to go check out my spot that's perfect, nice and open edge habitat....in winter.

It's currently under about 6 feet of beautyberry bush... good thing I went now instead of trying to dig through that at 5am opening morning!

Angelina NF Plan B it is! Lol

Comment

It’s vey dry in some areas

Comment

Everything is dry except the air! Walk five steps into those woods right now and you will be drenched

Comment

It’s getting close. Good luck this year!

Comment

I'm super excited too - too bad I didn't get drawn for antlerless this year! I guess after bow season I'll hit up Big Thicket or DCNF

Comment

On a side note just curious - what time do y'all usually get to the trailhead? I usually try to be ready to go on the trailhead by around 4am (don't know if that's overkill)

Comment

I usually aim to get to the trailhead at a time that puts me up in the tree at least a half hour before shooting light. Lets the woods settle down. On a side note, anybody see any white oaks producing this year other than water/pin oak? I have been moseying around and not seen any with much of a crop. Most of the acorns I've seen have been stacked heavy in the reds.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                          I usually aim to get to the trailhead at a time that puts me up in the tree at least a half hour before shooting light. Lets the woods settle down. On a side note, anybody see any white oaks producing this year other than water/pin oak? I have been moseying around and not seen any with much of a crop. Most of the acorns I've seen have been stacked heavy in the reds.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
                          Only acorns I have seen on the dirt are unripe ones knocked out by the storms.

Comment

Originally posted by drogers6771 View Post
                            Only acorns I have seen on the dirt are unripe ones knocked out by the storms.
                            I've seen a few of the white oaks (the pin oaks I referred to) start to drop. They'll probably ramp up in the next week and a half or two weeks if I had to guess. The reds though, correct me if I'm wrong but they don't drop till a little later, like mid Oct.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Want to follow this one too

I’ll be hunting the Sam for my first time this year. Been 20+ yrs since I’ve tried public. Have some spots to check out hopefully after this rain stops. Kinda neutralized the spots I was planning to search for water though. I probably won’t hunt until late archery season, probably not at all in November then later December when most go back inside. Plan to see if I can get away from the crowd. Aim small

Comment

Working...
                                X