Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
    I will handle this as nicely as possible. Having your first post be a request for a spot to hunt normally doesn’t go over very well. I will say checkout the maps and compare them with topo maps to pick a place to start looking. Only real way to find a good hunting spot is to put in the miles and check it out for yourself. Most here are happy to help with info regarding any other topic like tactics, things to bring, places to camp. However, most likely nobody is going to offer up spots they have scouted, worked hard for, and put a lot of miles in to find. I realize you are just asking for some help but I’m just trying to help you understand that this may not be the best manner in which to do it. If you have questions on specific areas like where to park, camp, or rules regarding certain areas feel free to ask those.
    Well said.

Comment

Was out scouting this weekend, we saw a couple of mule does and a single buck. It is really green and overgrown out there with all the rain, going to be a challenging archery season at the lake breaking trails, still can't wait though.

Anyone have a solution to keep Horse Flies away, they were killing us, we had good deet spray but it didn't touch the horse flies. We got out of the canyons as quickly as we could to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
        Was out scouting this weekend, we saw a couple of mule does and a single buck. It is really green and overgrown out there with all the rain, going to be a challenging archery season at the lake breaking trails, still can't wait though.

Anyone have a solution to keep Horse Flies away, they were killing us, we had good deet spray but it didn't touch the horse flies. We got out of the canyons as quickly as we could to avoid them.
        Permethrin seems to help but having found anything that works really well and can be sprayed on a human.

Comment

Heading out opening weekend, have a gameplan...Hoping for about 2' of snow but will settle for highs in the lower 90's lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Briggs View Post
            Heading out opening weekend, have a gameplan...Hoping for about 2' of snow but will settle for highs in the lower 90's lol
            It IS Texas... you might get both!

Comment

Will be out there solo, hope that it is nice and cool!

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                Will be out there solo, hope that it is nice and cool!
                Will be out there solo as well, looking forward to it. Shooting you a PM

Comment

chastings77, sent you a pm

Comment

Perfect new moon for the season opener!

Comment

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller here!

This fall will be my first hunting trip to LMNRA, and I’m mentoring a first time adult hunter on the trip as well. We have been planning this trip since last year, and I even drove up from Fort Worth back in May and spent a day scouting around and checking the place out.

My plan is to base camp in the Plum Creek area and do day hikes since there doesn’t appear to be any water sources around. Are there any water sources along the north side that would allow us to get a little further away from the truck/roads?

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can share, and I look forward to getting acquainted with y’all!

Comment

Welcome TGKIL, nearest back country water source will be the river or the lake.

The river is not the greatest and is difficult to get to, really grown up out there this year.

You won't see water in the lake until you get to Evans, from plum creek that is a trek.

Comment

chastings77,

That’s what I figured! When I went up there in May, I stopped at a few local bait shops asking around and even went over to Alibates and talked to a ranger, all of them told me to bring my own water. I typically pound water all day, so packing in +/- 2 gallons a day ain’t gonna work for me.

Oh well, truck camping it is!

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hooverfb, I can’t send PM’s yet, not enough posts!

Comment

Originally posted by TGKIL View Post
                              Hooverfb, I can’t send PM’s yet, not enough posts!
                              Ah okay. I cant quite remember what I said, but if you're going around the same time I can send ya my number in case you need help out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                                Ah okay. I cant quite remember what I said, but if you're going around the same time I can send ya my number in case you need help out there.
                                I plan to get there early Friday (11/22) morning to set up camp and then find a glassing spot for Saturday morning. Hunt Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, then head home Tuesday morning. We may stay and hunt Tuesday as well, but that is tbd.

Comment

Working...
                                X