No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone want to split the cost of an Airbnb or rental house instead of a hotel? It’ll be my wife and myself. We will likely prep some of our meals ahead of time so it doesn’t take all night to cook when we get in. Just thinking it would be nice to not worry too much about your stuff and possibly have more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've gotten the dreaded "Pending 2nd draw" - have any of you won on the 2nd drawing?

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
        I've gotten the dreaded "Pending 2nd draw" - have any of you won on the 2nd drawing?
        I drew an East Lake Rifle tag last year on Pending 2nd, it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
          Just found the actual website for it. Looks like we have mandatory orientation on the day before at 9:00 am per this page.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Laguna_At...s/hunting.html
          I put a call into the hunt coordinator(vmail full) to see if they'd allow you to do the orientation at a different time like they did in '17.
          Anyone heard if we'll be able to learn about the Ocelot again at a more convenient time or just before we go out?

Comment

Originally posted by Towboater View Post
            I just spoke with park personnel about this and they stated they will be allowing ebikes on the refuge but they havent finalized anything about using them during the hunts yet. They asked to call back in about a week and they should know by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
              I just spoke with park personnel about this and they stated they will be allowing ebikes on the refuge but they havent finalized anything about using them during the hunts yet. They asked to call back in about a week and they should know by then.
              Thanks for screwing with my wallet...

Comment

I'll get one if they allow it, but a big part of me hopes ebikes are not allowed.

If refuge wants to make beneficial changes for hunters they can first start by allowing limbs to be trimmed to allow for better shooting lanes/ethical shots. If they can prescribe burn thousands of acres, they should have more conflicts with hunters trimming limbs. They can allow/approve use of game cameras, hopefully increasing hunter success rate. Thats the whole reason for having the hunt.
                Also, they need to have early orientation prior to scout dates, for early arrivals and another orientation later in the day on set up day for those whom must travel long distances considering the location of the NWR. 9am, I doubt they have many folks make that time and I forecast alot of hunters needing alternate orientation time.

Lastly, they need to reward success hunters with automatic permits the following year for harvesting hogs/deer/nilgai.

If they want successful hunts, thats the way to keep successful hunters returning.

LANWR is very difficult and not for weak hearted hunters.

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

I already found one! [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                  I'll get one if they allow it, but a big part of me hopes ebikes are not allowed.

If refuge wants to make beneficial changes for hunters they can first start by allowing limbs to be trimmed to allow for better shooting lanes/ethical shots. If they can prescribe burn thousands of acres, they should have more conflicts with hunters trimming limbs. They can allow/approve use of game cameras, hopefully increasing hunter success rate. Thats the whole reason for having the hunt.
                  Also, they need to have early orientation prior to scout dates, for early arrivals and another orientation later in the day on set up day for those whom must travel long distances considering the location of the NWR. 9am, I doubt they have many folks make that time and I forecast alot of hunters needing alternate orientation time.

Lastly, they need to reward success hunters with automatic permits the following year for harvesting hogs/deer/nilgai.

If they want successful hunts, thats the way to keep successful hunters returning.

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

I’m with you. If they decide to allow it, whatever, but I hope they don’t as it takes away from the ruggedness of the place.

Comment

Yahoo. Drawn for 1st bow hunt. October 25-29. First time.
                    Could a couple of you Atascosa vets let me know what to expect down there.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post

Off my stand....

Back to ebikes!

x2. Not a big fan of ebikes. I would also like to see a golden ticket like they do for Hagerman for doe, but for nilgai, which they seem to want to get rid of. I also think, they could open up more of the units and maybe hold separate drawings on where you are hunting. It would cut down on 1, 6, and 8 getting overrun.
                      I'll be there the last archery hunt, regardless.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of ebikes either - other than the physically disabled - I don't see the benefit in buying one - if a person isn't able to bike than it's probably time to get on a bike and start losing weight. Anyway, do any of yall know when the 2nd drawing happens?

I was there last year and the impression I got from the staff is it's almost like the refuge doesn't like dealing with allowing hunters - I'm curious to know how much money is actually spent on keeping those 17 or so Ocelots going

Comment

Dont know if it will be this season , what are they talking about when they say expanding method of taking big game?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
                            Dont know if it will be this season , what are they talking about when they say expanding method of taking big game?

https://www.fws.gov/home/feature/201...Narratives.pdf
                            I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                              It would cut down on 1, 6, and 8 getting overrun.
                              Ebikes will do the same thing as they will allow hunters to go in further than they normally would. I am 50 years old and not in the best shape (I know that's my fault) but also have not so great knees from crawling thru burning buildings for more than twenty years. My ebike is more of a peddle assisted thing rather than just running off the battery. It definitely lets me get deeper into the woods than I would be able to hiking or with a regular bike.

Comment

Originally posted by no1hogkiller View Post
                                Yahoo. Drawn for 1st bow hunt. October 25-29. First time.
                                Could a couple of you Atascosa vets let me know what to expect down there.
                                Expect the hardest thing you could imagine. Hot, insects, snakes, bike tire flats, super shady animals and mostly super dumb hunters that can ruin a hunt instantly

Comment

Working...
                                X