anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sotol View Post
    I see on the TPWD that anthrax is a reportable disease. Suspected cases must be reported to the Texas Animal Health C
    ommission.

What then???

Do they come check out every report?

How many of y'all have a "confirmed" case on your lease or land?

Just curious.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
    A lot of ranchers keep it hush hush. They know they have anthrax but don’t want to report/test/quarantine etc.

Comment

Has anyone heard of any anthrax cases between Uvalde and Eagle pass in or near Maverick county?

Comment

Flew a large ranch yesterday. Saw 22 deer on about 5k acres....open country too I bet we got a 90% count.

once I got halfway up 55 outside of rocksprings I stopped seeing deer on the side of the road. They were all over 41 and 377 and up 55 till that halfway point then nothing, and this was at 11:30 at night on fingernail moon that set about 12.

Comment

Most depressing thread of TBH history

Comment

Friend of mine on a Sonora lease did a herd count this weekend. The run he usually takes care of averages 90 deer. This year he counted 5.

Comment

From Maci Ledbetter with Spring Creek Outdoors,
              As many of you may already know, numerous ranches across Southwest Texas have recently been devastated by anthrax, with some ranches reporting up to 100% loss of their deer herds. Affected counties in Texas include Crockett, Edwards, Kinney, Maverick, Sutton, and Val Verde. Anthrax is a disease caused by a bacteria that occurs naturally in the soil and is capable of surviving dormant for many years. Anthrax outbreaks are typically the product of very wet springs followed by extremely hot and dry summers, and the outbreak typically subsides once cool weather arrives. This disease affects cattle, deer, swine, horses, dogs, exotic hoofstock, and humans. The bacteria releases spores, which can be picked up by growing grass, forbs, and browse plants, or simply remain in the soil. Once the spores are ingested via contaminated planets or inhaled from the soil while feeding, it generally takes 3-7 days for symptoms to develop, which is followed by death within 48 hours. Common signs of this disease are high fever, staggering, difficulty breathing, and the presence of dark, thick blood oozing from body openings such as the eyes, mouth, and particularly the anus, which is followed by sudden death. There are vaccines available for this disease, but they must be administered several weeks before the outbreak starts to be effective. Early spring is the recommended vaccination time. While anthrax is not contagious in the way that the flu or common cold are, extreme precautions should be taken when dealing with animals thought to have died from anthrax to prevent the spread of disease or infection of the person handing the carcass. Carcasses should be burned, though care must be taken in dry areas with high fire danger. Contact your local fire authorities before burning carcasses. Hunters are encouraged to wear rubber gloves when handling game and to wash their hands and cleaning areas thoroughly afterward. Fully cooked meat is considered safe to eat, but do not attempt to salvage meat or other parts from animals thought or known to have died from anthrax.

Spring Creek Outdoors will be giving presentations on the subject of anthrax, including deer restocking options, at the Lyssy and Eckel Feeds in Roosevelt, just west of Junction, on October 1st. There will be a mid-day presentation and an evening presentation, times to be announced at a later date.

Comment

^^^Good info thanks for sharing^^^

Comment

I know that they say there are vaccines available and the issue is how do you administer it to wildlife. Would it be possible to make a medicated feed that you could feed free choice out of a protein feeder?

Growing up we hunted this area from the time I was born til 18 years old and one of the ranches we got on had been hit a couple years before. It was a beautiful ranch but basically void of all deer life.

Comment

If a place is nearly wiped out and a person brought in a few deer with better genetics than the natives it could be a long term benefit...sort of.
                    If a deer is vaccinated for anthrax would he be immune forever or is it an annual thing?
                    With better genetics and almost no competition for forage you could do good til the next outbreak hits.

Just looking for a bright spot in this.

Comment

TPW should trap all the deer in the hoods of San Antonio and relocate them to these areas.

Comment

If a place is nearly wiped out and a person brought in a few deer with better genetics than the natives it could be a long term benefit...sort of.
                        If a deer is vaccinated for anthrax would he be immune forever or is it an annual thing?
                        With better genetics and almost no competition for forage you could do good til the next outbreak hits.

From what I have read the vaccine is something that is given to livestock annually, like every spring. But there is no oral vaccine, so you would I give it to a wild animal you would have to trap it, give it a shot then release it.

The ranch I hunt was appears to have been hit pretty hard but I feel pretty confident the deer will bounce back. I pulled my cards last weekend and the weird thing is it seemed like there was more deer activity away from the feeder than at the feeder. That is what my cameras showed anyway. One thing is for sure though they are not all dead and the ones that are left will have all they want.

Comment

Been a lurker for a while but thought I'd share a report from our ranch just north of Sonora. We are about 7 miles north of Sonora off 277. I went up last weekend and didn't see any dead deer. Didn't see a lot of deer but that's kind of usual for us this time of year with the day heat and also don't feed in the offseason. Saw some deer in the late evenings and early mornings, also saw several Axis. Saw a couple does with fawns. According to our rancher most of the area effected is south of I10. Hopefully we dodged a bullet. We did find 2 dead kid sheep. They were both dead near burned areas. So not sure if it was a result of anthrax or something else. I guess we will see once the feeders start.

Comment

It could be a very good thing if one had the money to do it. Purchase 20-30 bred doe, and 5-10 stocker bucks and within a few years you would have some really nice deer. The negative is, virtually no trophy hunting for 5 years or so. Or buy 20-30 sticker bucks that are 3 yrs old and have a shorter wait.

As for the vaccination, it needs to be annually distributed. You can get it put in protein. We have been doing it for years and feed it every spring just to be safe. We think we lost less than 10 deer this outbreak on 6000 acres. We have had this place for 12 years and this is the first outbreak. It had one not too long before we got it but the previous people didnt run livestock and fed the feed. We dont run livestock either. I think that is the best preventative you can do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                              It could be a very good thing if one had the money to do it. Purchase 20-30 bred doe, and 5-10 stocker bucks and within a few years you would have some really nice deer. The negative is, virtually no trophy hunting for 5 years or so. Or buy 20-30 sticker bucks that are 3 yrs old and have a shorter wait.

As for the vaccination, it needs to be annually distributed. You can get it put in protein. We have been doing it for years and feed it every spring just to be safe. We think we lost less than 10 deer this outbreak on 6000 acres. We have had this place for 12 years and this is the first outbreak. It had one not too long before we got it but the previous people didnt run livestock and fed the feed. We dont run livestock either. I think that is the best preventative you can do.

Where do you get your medicated protein? And it has a vaccine specific for Anthrax? I was under the impression there was no oral vaccine for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                                Where do you get your medicated protein? And it has a vaccine specific for Anthrax? I was under the impression there was no oral vaccine for it.
                                Yes. Lyssy and eckels makes it for us. But you have to get a prescription from a vet I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X