This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
    Emmitt had one of the greatest OLines of all time. He wasn’t the best RB of his generation. I bet we wouldn’t even be talking about him if he played for the Lions....

RB isn’t very important in today’s NFL. Remember, McFadden had 1000 yards behind the young OLine in Dallas. They can get a much cheaper replacement

Not sure what point you’re trying to make and McFadden isn’t even in the conversation. I guarantee you no matter where Emmitt played, we’d be talking about him. The statement was made that Emmitt wasn’t even the 3rd or 4th most important player on his team, which is totally inaccurate. I love all the expert opinions in this thread and I’m sure NFL teams aren’t blowing up your cell with job offers. I’ll just stick to the facts and what actually occurred. That can’t be argued with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Emmitt had one of the greatest OLines of all time. He wasn’t the best RB of his generation. I bet we wouldn’t even be talking about him if he played for the Lions....

RB isn’t very important in today’s NFL. Remember, McFadden had 1000 yards behind the young OLine in Dallas. They can get a much cheaper replacement
      I agree with 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle67 View Post
        Not sure what point you’re trying to make and McFadden isn’t even in the conversation. I guarantee you no matter where Emmitt played, we’d be talking about him. The statement was made that Emmitt wasn’t even the 3rd or 4th most important player on his team, which is totally inaccurate. I love all the expert opinions in this thread and I’m sure NFL teams aren’t blowing up your cell with job offers. I’ll just stick to the facts and what actually occurred. That can’t be argued with.

If you’re unsure of the point I’m making then maybe there’s no point in having a debate.

Point is, the OLine has a bigger impact on the strength of your running game than the RB himself. But, there are some exceptions in my opinion.

Basic philosophy in having strength in the trenches. It could be all the difference between having a guy run for 3.5 yards per carry to a guy getting 5 yards per carry.

I think there’s a common agreement here that while Zeke is the most talented of the 3 players in discussion, he would be the odd man out due to the cowboys strength on the OLine. Proof is in the pudding. McFadden, an average back in the NFL, rushes for 1000 yards behind your offensive line which wasn’t as good then as it is now.

There are much cheaper options for the Cowboys.

On the Emmitt topic, I watched every cowboys game I could then. I watched him destroy teams with the best OLine in the league. Maybe one of the best combined units of all time. He ran through holes 12’ wide.

I also watched Barry Sanders. There’s a huge difference in skill set between these two. If the players were to switch teams at that time, I don’t think we would be talking much about Emmitt. So you can go guarantee whatever you want, but like you have an opinion, so do I.

Comment

Not sure why peeps want to get away from Zeke so fast. He is not close to being a regular back. He can take it to the house on any play. No doubt he comes with a lot of baggage. Than again, the Boys are no strangers to that.

Dak is a decent, perhaps above average play maker on a team with a dominate running game. He has not shown any sign of standing out by playing as a prototypical QB. Dak seems like a well mannered, hard working young man. Both great qualities but as much as we like that, it will not help him throw the football very accurately.

Hope Dak has and can improved and that I am totally wrong about him not being able to developing into a solid passer. IMHO you just don't see that happen often at this level this far into a qb career. I say pay Zeke for three years and take Dak on as a tag player to see what he can do before you sign him to a long deal.

Comment

Heck, since the back does not matter and you can just plug any back in there then trade Zeke, you have Pollard and a couple other backs, everything will be fine.

Comment

If you’re unsure of the point I’m making then maybe there’s no point in having a debate.

Point is, the OLine has a bigger impact on the strength of your running game than the RB himself. But, there are some exceptions in my opinion.

Basic philosophy in having strength in the trenches. It could be all the difference between having a guy run for 3.5 yards per carry to a guy getting 5 yards per carry.

I think there’s a common agreement here that while Zeke is the most talented of the 3 players in discussion, he would be the odd man out due to the cowboys strength on the OLine. Proof is in the pudding. McFadden, an average back in the NFL, rushes for 1000 yards behind your offensive line which wasn’t as good then as it is now.

There are much cheaper options for the Cowboys.

On the Emmitt topic, I watched every cowboys game I could then. I watched him destroy teams with the best OLine in the league. Maybe one of the best combined units of all time. He ran through holes 12’ wide.

I also watched Barry Sanders. There’s a huge difference in skill set between these two. If the players were to switch teams at that time, I don’t think we would be talking much about Emmitt. So you can go guarantee whatever you want, but like you have an opinion, so do I.

Opinions based on what if’s and what could have possibly been if this was that way or that was this way, are what we here all the time. just like if a frog had wings. Obvious statements about the importance of offensive line strength don’t lend credence to your argument either. Sanders was a great all time back, never made an argument against that. Never mentioned him or Zeke or McFadden (btw, 1000 yard season is 60 yards a game average, not real exceptional) in my post. So your point doesn’t make any since in regards to my post that you quoted. It seems as though you want to make this a Barry vs Emmitt debate so I’ll indulge you and play along. These are the facts.

Emmitt had a great offensive line but not for his whole career. He leads the NFL in all time rushing yards. He’s got 1 league MVP same for Sanders.
              Emmitt 4 time NFL rushing leader same for Sanders.
              Emmitt is a 4 time TD leader Sanders had one. Emmitt has the most rushing TD’s in league history at 164. Sanders has 99 and is 9th in that. Emmitt is the 5th all time receptions leader in Cowboy history. Emmitt has a Super Bowl MVP Sanders 0.

Probably the biggest stat or comparison you can make is that Barry quit and Emmitt didn’t. If you want to be a considered an all time great, then don’t quit because you think your team is lousy. Emmitt had a great team early in his career but played on some pretty lousy teams with the Cowboys. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but like I stated early, I’ll base mine on the facts.

Comment

JJ needs to get a deal done now with Dak and Cooper.

IMO, hold the line with Zeke since Jerry has all the cards with him.

Comment

Opinions based on what if’s and what could have possibly been if this was that way or that was this way, are what we here all the time. just like if a frog had wings. Obvious statements about the importance of offensive line strength don’t lend credence to your argument either. Sanders was a great all time back, never made an argument against that. Never mentioned him or Zeke or McFadden (btw, 1000 yard season is 60 yards a game average, not real exceptional) in my post. So your point doesn’t make any since in regards to my post that you quoted. It seems as though you want to make this a Barry vs Emmitt debate so I’ll indulge you and play along. These are the facts.

Emmitt had a great offensive line but not for his whole career. He leads the NFL in all time rushing yards. He’s got 1 league MVP same for Sanders.
                  Emmitt 4 time NFL rushing leader same for Sanders.
                  Emmitt is a 4 time TD leader Sanders had one. Emmitt has the most rushing TD’s in league history at 164. Sanders has 99 and is 9th in that. Emmitt is the 5th all time receptions leader in Cowboy history. Emmitt has a Super Bowl MVP Sanders 0.

Probably the biggest stat or comparison you can make is that Barry quit and Emmitt didn’t. If you want to be a considered an all time great, then don’t quit because you think your team is lousy. Emmitt had a great team early in his career but played on some pretty lousy teams with the Cowboys. You’re certainly entitled to your opinion but like I stated early, I’ll base mine on the facts.

Facts are facts. You’re correct. I will not argue Emmitt vs Barry with you because we obviously have differing “opinions.”

The benchmark for a RB to have had a successful season seems to hinge on the 1000 yard mark. While it may not be that impressive to you, it’s the standard by which most grade.

This whole topic centers around if Zeke is worth the money he’s wanting. Each team weighs in on that based on the strength of the supporting cast. My point is, Dallas doesn’t need Zeke to have a successful season running the ball. They shouldn’t invest absurd amounts of money in him when his production over replacement is PROBABLY not significant.

Comment

Facts are facts. You’re correct. I will not argue Emmitt vs Barry with you because we obviously have differing “opinions.”

The benchmark for a RB to have had a successful season seems to hinge on the 1000 yard mark. While it may not be that impressive to you, it’s the standard by which most grade.

This whole topic centers around if Zeke is worth the money he’s wanting. Each team weighs in on that based on the strength of the supporting cast. My point is, Dallas doesn’t need Zeke to have a successful season running the ball. They shouldn’t invest absurd amounts of money in him when his production over replacement is PROBABLY not significant.

Actually 1,000 yards isn’t really a measuring stick. As said above it’s about 62 yards per game. Backs are measured more on how many 100 yard games they have so when you get a back rushing for 1,500+ yards a season then he’s elite. 62 a game is average.

No matter matter how dominate your line is a back has a split second to see the hole and then he needs the acceleration to hit it. A good o-line may get a huge push and allow any back to gain 4 yards every time they touch the ball, but a great back has the vision to see the holes, accelerate, hit them and turn the 4 yard gains into 20 yard gains.

I also hate comparing backs like Alfred Morris’s numbers against Zekes. How many times was the box stacked when he was in there? Or how many times did he pick up 8 yards on a draw play on 3rd and 15 against the dime? Reminds me of the year Troy Hambrick averaged like 6 yards a carry and everybody said we didn’t need Emmit anymore(although it was towards the end of his career) then Troy Hambrick got the starting job and averaged 3 yards per carry. It’s different when the focus is all on you and you’re the guy.

Man y’all are selling Elliot short. One thing that has been proven is that Dak is below average without Zeke and maybe average and just good enough with him.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                      Heck, since the back does not matter and you can just plug any back in there then trade Zeke, you have Pollard and a couple other backs, everything will be fine.

That’s exactly what I would do, except he has no value right now.

Comment

Mike and Troy made that thing work more than Emmit, IMO. Not just because of what they did on the field, but also because of the tone they set.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          That’s exactly what I would do, except he has no value right now.

Oh I think you are wrong on his value. It is really pretty simple, with an elite back you have to account for him every play, defenses load the box more on Zeke than anyone, you know why ? Because they don't think Dak can beat them with his arm, now if Dak improves ( which I believe he has ) the defense can choose to pick their poison, they stack the box Dak should be able to kill them on passing, they lay back and play zone, hello Zeke, he makes this offense period.

Comment

I'd sign a Zeke trade without blinking if it got close to a H.Walker type of deal, which is possible. Such a deal would automatically make Cowboys Super Bowl relevant for years & years & years.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                              I'd sign a Zeke trade without blinking if it got close to a H.Walker type of deal, which is possible. Such a deal would automatically make Cowboys Super Bowl relevant for years & years & years.
                              I would too but do we have a QB that can carry this team with his arm ? That is the 150M dollar question.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                                Oh I think you are wrong on his value. It is really pretty simple, with an elite back you have to account for him every play, defenses load the box more on Zeke than anyone, you know why ? Because they don't think Dak can beat them with his arm, now if Dak improves ( which I believe he has ) the defense can choose to pick their poison, they stack the box Dak should be able to kill them on passing, they lay back and play zone, hello Zeke, he makes this offense period.

I’m talking about trade value. He is supposedly under contract for two years, but he won’t show up for work unless he gets about a $70 million contract… That makes him worth almost nothing on the trade market. I think Pittsburgh got a third for Bell.

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                I’d sign a Zeke trade without blinking if it got close to a H.Walker type of deal, which is possible. Such a deal would automatically make Cowboys Super Bowl relevant for years & years & years.

Completely differnt NFL now, that stuff doesn’t happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X