anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    Up to 90 found dead on our place, few fresh ones including a mature 150s recently found. My stomach hurts

Where are you hunting at out west?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Up to 90 found dead on our place, few fresh ones including a mature 150s recently found. My stomach hurts
      Can you please pin point your location?

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
        Can you please pin point your location?

I’ve shared it a Few times. We are on a 20k plus acre low fence ranch 15 miles north west of Bracketville. We’re not far from Kickapoo cavern. Ranch starts around 3008/2523 and goes deep for miles.

We’ve found 90 dead, I am estimating 300 plus or 20-25% of our population gone. We’ve found big axis, aoudad and lots of WT. We are finding about 1.6 bucks to does right now and all the does have dead fawns close by. Some parts of the ranch are getting hit way harder then others. One hunter has lost all 3 of his mature trophies he’s waited years to hunt. It has Slowed down but I fear it’s not over. Lots of TBHers on our lease. Corn and protein is piling up at feeders and it seems deer are avoiding feed pens. Praying it ends

Last edited by James; 08-07-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Is anyone rally going to burn a deer carcass?
          If it died from anthrax I don't want to get close to it.
          For every one you find there are several you won't find.
          If you go burning something out west you might start a huge brushfire.

If there were enough spores to infect that deer even burning it won't take care of the original source.

I think just leave them laying where they are.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve shared it a Few times. We are on a 20k plus acre low fence ranch 15 miles north west of Bracketville. We’re not far from Kickapoo cavern. Ranch starts around 3008/2523 and goes deep for miles.

We’ve found 90 dead, I am estimating 300 plus or 20-25% of our population gone. We’ve found big axis, aoudad and lots of WT. We are finding about 1.6 bucks to does right now and all the does have dead fawns close by. Some parts of the ranch are getting hit way harder then others. One hunter has lost all 3 of his mature trophies he’s waited years to hunt. It has Slowed down but I fear it’s not over. Lots of TBHers on our lease. Corn and protein is piling up at feeders and it seems deer are avoiding feed pens. Praying it ends

I'm curious on how you are determining your estimated total dead loss?

Comment

So, if this is over soon how do you feel about shooting and eating what survives this year..any reservations??

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                I'm curious on how you are determining your estimated total dead loss?
                It is just our guess from spending almost everyday searching for bodies, spending years and years on the ranch, trail cameras, observations. It may be way more and probably will not know how bad it is until cool weather and deer season.

Comment

I was down in Brackettville last weekend. So far we have not found any dead or have seemed to have lost any on our place. It has gotten really dry in the last month and the deer are hitting the protein feeders hard. Trying to keep them full to minimize them eating other sources that might be contaminated.
                  Did talk to a high fence place that has lost over 300k in exotics so far. I won't go into detail on how they are burning the dead. You have to really feel for those ranches.
                  The one interesting thing I learned is you don't want to keep a head/antlers of an animal that has died from it. You are ok with sheds but I might think twice about a dead skull I find in the future. Not sure if there is a time period on this.
                  The herds will come back but you have to really feel for the guys that have been managing a property and putting the work in to let their animals reach a harvesting age to find out a large portion is wiped out. Also the uncertainty of not know if this will last all the way to September or not.

Comment

Got cards pulled yesterday, 3 small bucks and 5 does total on camera at both my set ups. Normally have 15-25 deer per spot. Corn is piling up on the ground which hasn’t happed ever since I’ve been on this lease. Don’t know if there will be much of a season.

Comment

Any reports out of Comstock or down 1024?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lease member headed to Ozona this weekend and pulling my cards. I'll post update on what he reports and what I see on the cards.

Comment

My business partner has a little over 1k acres off of Aldwell Rd. south of Sonora. High fenced place and he's wiped out.

Finding tons of dead wt, axis, black buck and fallow. Feeders aren't getting hit, the corn is piled up, cotton seed and minerals are untouched. No wt seen during daylight or night while spotlighting. A few exotics seen here and there. He's been down there 4 days and he said it's a ghost town and smells rotten.

It's a bad deal for everyone.
                          Last edited by chongo; 08-09-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
                            Lease member headed to Ozona this weekend and pulling my cards. I'll post update on what he reports and what I see on the cards.
                            Good luck

Comment

Just talked to an Ole Boy who hunts the same ranch but different pasture and they counted 37 dead wt driving the road... Evidently the LO isn't letting the lease members know the severity. Hope my reports are not as grave as what I'm hearing... Sad

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
                                Just talked to an Ole Boy who hunts the same ranch but different pasture and they counted 37 dead wt driving the road... Evidently the LO isn't letting the lease members know the severity. Hope my reports are not as grave as what I'm hearing... Sad

Where are you hunting exactly out in the area ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X