No announcement yet.

Investing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statistically 85% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500 over a 10 year period. Over a 15 year period, 92% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500.

I tried trading stocks on my own and it didn’t go well. I started making a lot more money when I started index investing and I don’t need a financial advisor to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by hilltop101 View Post
      Statistically 85% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500 over a 10 year period. Over a 15 year period, 92% of actively managed funds will underperform the S&P 500.

I tried trading stocks on my own and it didn’t go well. I started making a lot more money when I started index investing and I don’t need a financial advisor to do it.
      ^^
      If you're willing to spend a little time learning. It is all too easy to set up a portfolio of 2 or 3 index funds depending on desired AA.. Personally I'd rather my money keep working for me and not have an "advisor" and his company skim away at it. Edward Jones is horrible!

Comment

Originally posted by ntxshooter View Post
        ^^
        If you're willing to spend a little time learning. It is all too easy to set up a portfolio of 2 or 3 index funds depending on desired AA.. Personally I'd rather my money keep working for me and not have an "advisor" and his company skim away at it. Edward Jones is horrible!
        I understand totally on studying investing and managing your own money. As the old saying goes nobody will take care of your money like yourself. A very true statement but people take care of their money in their own way. Some with a Financial Advisor some without, as in most cases opinions vary widely. As stated in your case above, I did the same for around 20 years plus in my career. But now I chose to use a Financial advisor because I find it much less stressful and pay them to worry about it. There are times in this last 10 year plus bull market run I would have sold thinking things had peaked. But instead I held with my FA advice and have done Ok in a very well diversified portfolio. That being said a person with a FA should keep a close eye on his/her investments, understand them and perform a health check along with their trusted FA. Sorry for the lengthy statement but I wanted to try and give a clear explanation for FA (in my specific case).

To clarify I am not and was not a FA isn’t the past. I am just a simple minded country boy that moved to the city, worked there a few decades, moved back to the country and want to spend my remaining years in the slow lane.
        Last edited by tps7742; 08-03-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ntxshooter View Post
          ^^
          Check out www.bogleheads.org for some supporting evidence

Comment

Go set you up a vanguard account. I own VTSAX and it’s at 0.04% expense ratio. I’m up 7.2% so far in 19 it says. 11.2 from when I transferred over in mid 18.

I think that’s pretty good

Comment

^^^Vanguard is where I have an IRA & some of the lowest expense ratio funds that perform well.

Comment

You're doing it wrong. I've made 20% the last two years buying and holding. Invest in some indexes, leave it alone.

Comment

Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals (ARWR). Only stock I own. Lowest price I bought at was $1.50. Highest I have bought was at $25.00. It is just getting started. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Will be $1000 in five years - conservatively (barring an economic collapse). I have millions in it. Do your own due diligence. Feel free to ask me questions.
                  Last edited by AZ&F'sDaddy; 08-04-2019, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I had a way-to-long reply typed up. I deleted it and will leave with this:

McDonalds
                    Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 08-04-2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
                      Arrowhead Pharmaceuticals (ARWR). Only stock I own. Lowest price I bought at was $1.50. Highest I have bought was at $25.00. It is just getting started. Once in a lifetime opportunity. Will be $1000 in five years - conservatively (barring an economic collapse). I have millions in it. Do your own due diligence. Feel free to ask me questions.
                      I saw your post after I had already spend way too much time on my McDonalds diatribe. For grins, I did a five year comparison on ARWR to McD. How wild is THIS?!??!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	McD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	24587842

Comment

Go look at what the S&P 500 has returned over the past 2 years. There is no reason your portfolio shouldn't be very close to that. Buy index funds, whether it be the S&P 500 or the total stock market funds or a mix of both and tossing in a total bond market fund to round it out. Set your asset allocation and pump 20% of your income into it. Retire a millionaire. Investing is incredibly simple, but not always easy to stay the course.

Oh and if you haven't heard of www.Bogleheads.or, do yourself a favor and check it out. Much better place to ask for investing advice but beware you will get the hard truth from those folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          Ramit Sethi and Dave Ramsey both have great investing advice, be in it for the long term.

The data seems to show that VERY few people every really succeed at timing the market so investing the majority of your cash for the long term and keeping some "play money" for volatile investments for things like crypto and looking for the "next best thing" stocks.

I really like Ramit's advice on how stupid it is to put all your eggs in the crypto basket...
                          I disagree here. Dave Ramsey preaches front loaded mutual funds where you're paying 5% before any work is done on the part of the advisor. He is great for saving, getting out of debt and managing money, but I wouldn't pass along his investment strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                            I saw your post after I had already spend way too much time on my McDonalds diatribe. For grins, I did a five year comparison on ARWR to McD. How wild is THIS?!??!?

[ATTACH]966676[/ATTACH]
                            That's interesting. Coincidence; but interesting. The next five-year charts for the two will not compare.
                            Don't take investment advice from an anonymous poster on the internet. Do your own due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              Our very own Burnadell is with Edward Jones out of Longview
                              Did not know this. Good to know.

Comment

Www.Betterment.com. You won’t regret it.

Comment

Working...
                                X