Engineers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ktjones View Post
    When I worked product design and firmware design at a large computer / server / storage / networking company in NW Houston awhile back, we referred to that type of engineer as a 'pancake and pizza' engineer. Slide the pancakes and pizza under the door. Never let them talk to a perspective customer! KJ
    Small world!

Comment

Experience is not always what its cracked up to be. I've known some that had 20 (or more) years of experience and some that had 1 year of experience 20 (or more) times.

Comment

Works both ways... You can have years and years of experience at doing things VERY wrong and get REALLY good at same as you can being very GOOD at doing things RIGHT...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
          Engineer's they can tell you how everything works but they can't work on everything.
          My father is a very successful Engineer from TI. That's why I am a Technician.

My Dad retired from TI and had a lot to do with them being where they are today. Smart man and a great dad. He led the design team for the LED read out. Tomahawk Guidance system, TI computers and their TI 84 calculates, he did it all. Holds a patent on the Aluminum retention maze and getter

Abstract
          Aluminum or aluminum foil is placed in communication with the interior of a cold cathode gas discharge display chamber to prevent undesirable quantities of mercury from entering the display chamber and to absorb undesirable O.sub.2 and H.sub.2 O which may evolve during the life of the display device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Inventors: Paine, Jr.; Rigaud B. (Dallas, TX), Peshock, Jr.; Michael (Richardson, TX)
          Assignee: Texas Instruments Incorporated (Dallas, TX)

Appl. No.: 05/459,819
          Filed: April 10, 1974
          When did your dad retire Rig? I hired in TI in '76 with the semiconductor division. I worked on the calculator and computer cases. I might have known him. I went to defense in '91.
          Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
          ^^^^^^^^^ This.. see this on a daily basis.... common sense was not on the learning schedule.. for some of them
          yeah y'all like it because you can send it down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
            When did your dad retire Rig? I hired in TI in '76 with the semiconductor division. I worked on the calculator and computer cases. I might have known him. I went to defense in '91.

yeah y'all like it because you can send it down here.
            I want to say he retired in 96. We worked at the main plant on 35 starting in 1963 then at the Sherman plant after that Lemon Ave then Lubbock and right before he retired back to 35. Do you remember a guy named Bill Bush we worked with my dad on and off on different projects. If you worked in the semiconductor division you knew him until we moved to Lubbock in 1979.
            Last edited by Texas Tracker; 06-13-2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

OP was funny. Some of the other guys....

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                I want to say he retired in 96. We worked at the main plant on 35 starting in 1963 then at the Sherman plant after that Lemon Ave then Lubbock and right before he retired back to 35. Do you remember a guy named Bill Bush we worked with my dad on and off on different projects. If you worked in the semiconductor division you knew him until we moved to Lubbock in 1979.
                I probably hadn't met them yet if you moved in '79. From '76 till '81 I was on graveyard. I hadn't met many folks yet. All my time was spent at the main plant on 75 and then down here to Lemmon in '91. There is a chance I met them but didn't know their names.

Comment

There's a big difference between educated and smart

Comment

A new engineer has proven he can learn but next he needs to realize he has a lot to learn. Like most, I thought I knew everything when I got out of college. Fortunately, some designers taught me otherwise. With about 10 years of experience, engineers begin to actually earn their pay. If they've had some good experience.

The least likely engineer to work out is the one that graduated top of his class. He or she has no experience with humility.

Comment

Working...
                    X