Ambergris Caye, Belize...looking for feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ambergris Caye, Belize...looking for feedback

I’m taking the family (wife & daughters) and my mom to Ambergris Caye in August. I’m looking for recommendations, do’s, dont’s, and anything that might be helpful. I prefer VRBO over a resort setting, so we’re looking at a private condo south of town (2 miles).

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

We just went last month. We stayed at two places on the mainland for 2 nights each then three nights in Ambergis. We stayed at a condo north of town where it was a little quitter. There is a place called the Dive Bar that is owned by a Texan that was nice to hang out at. Crocs is a good place to eat as is the Truck Stop. I’d suggest snapper fishing if you can. It was fun and they cook some of your fish after you are done catching. Snorkeling with a charter is also recommended. I’m sure I’ll think of other stuff to post.

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks for the comments

Comment

I went with some friend a few years ago. We stayed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The only ATM on the island that will take your card is the one at the bank by the airport.

Comment

Check out Tranquility Bay, it’s off by itself, about 10 separate cabanas right on the beach. We had a 2 story cabana to ourselves for $99 a night. Was worried because the only place to eat was the restaurant at the resort. Food was excellent. Restaurant was out on the water with a doc out front. At night tons of fish would come in under the lights. We caught bonefish, tarpon, and snapper at night. One night I caught about a snapper around 20 lbs.
            Bartender at the restaurant threw it on ice for us and we had the best fish tacos ever the next few days. Great place if you want to just get away from it all. Stayed there 4 nights then to Caye Caulker for 4 nights. More action and place to eat. Cool bar called the split. Also got a guide there and caught several 20+lb permit. Can’t wait to go back.

Comment

If your family likes diving the snorkeling is not bad.

Comment

My Wife and I have been to Ambergris Caye....San Pedro a few times. A buddy of mine has a place on the south side so we stay there now. Rent a golf cart. Elvi’s Kitchen in town is good. Mahogany Bay ( Hilton properties ) has a few good restaurants on the south side of town. There is also a good breakfast place on the south side of town...The Baker. I think the owner and his Wife are from Australia. Ate there several mornings. Cozy Coconut (south ) had good food. Kind of an open bar setting by the beach. Ate there twice. Pier 366 is a little pricier. Food was good. Chicken and rice is good just about anywhere. Go to Caye Caulker and walk around. Like someone else mentioned.....Tranquility. Very secluded on the north side. We paid a kid to go out to the reef and catch fish for us. Bought some shrimp and had a Lady cook the food up for us on two different nights. Very good. Snorkeling guides, fishing guides, etc. make sure you have a GoPro or two for underwater video and photos. My kids want to go back on our next trip down there.

Comment

If you like trash and plastic everywhere you'll have a good time

Comment

We were there in January, stayed at Grand Caribe. Did flats fishing and scuba. Didn't get to some of the more popular spots but walked to a few cool bars down the beach. Everyone we met was very nice. Are you taking the flight to Ambergris from San Pedro or the water taxi?

Comment

I’ve got a good not-to-do story. My wife and I were staying there north of SP with my brother and his wife. The girls wanted to shop so my brother and I found a bar to watch the stuff etc. We order a drink and get it paid for by someone. The next round was “paid for by your friend too” but we refused and paid for both. When our “friend” showed up seeing my Jeppesen bag (which had food for dinner in it) asked if I was a pilot. Maybe he asked if I was THE pilot, I don’t know. I saw him see the bag and thought he wanted to make conversation. I said I was. He did not want friendly banter and demanded I was HIS pilot and things were “ready to go”. Long story short...... (you wanted feedback). If you are a pilot, never claim to be.... At a bar..... in Central America. Good news, we left commercial 2 days later as scheduled and had a wonderful time. Just got scared. Hope y’all have a good trip.
                      Serious advice, if you like travel outside the box, boat in from BC and fly back. If you want to just get there and chill, fly in and back to BC. Oh, and x2 on the golf cart! Bring bug spray. Have fun!
                      Last edited by rbsears; 05-19-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X