No announcement yet.

Anyone built there own skiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a 12’ skiff/duck boat 10 years ago and still run it every year. Probably have 120 outings easy in it.

I didn’t not use Marine grade plywood. I have zero soft spots or delamination. My ply wood was very dry though. Sat in my exterior barn/garage for about a year.

My only complaint is weight, I over did it. Thinking about doing a build using either divinycell or klegecell, problem I have is just time.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      I built a 12’ skiff/duck boat 10 years ago and still run it every year. Probably have 120 outings easy in it.

I didn’t not use Marine grade plywood. I have zero soft spots or delamination. My ply wood was very dry though. Sat in my exterior barn/garage for about a year.

My only complaint is weight, I over did it. Thinking about doing a build using either divinycell or klegecell, problem I have is just time.
      Good info. I'd like to build out of divinycell for this first one but I'm afraid it would end up taking so long that I'll lose the interest of my crew.

Comment

I’ve made deer blinds out of divinycell, I’ve you where real technical you could vacuum bag it and cut down your build time to half.

Also build it bottom half and then top half

Comment

America's leading distributor of composite materials. We combine superior products and the industries' lowest prices with fast and accurate service.

This is where I buy all of my epoxy resins. Affordable and very high quality. Stay away from polyester resins. This is one of the kayaks I've built with their fiberglass and resins.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DarrellS; 04-16-2019, 07:00 AM.

Comment

I helped a buddy of mine when he started ultralightboatworks and we fished a couple tournaments out of that little boat. It was a pretty labor intensive operation and messy as hell but the first finished product wasn’t terrible and would run in spit. He now owns Sabine Skiffs in La Porte.

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              I helped a buddy of mine when he started ultralightboatworks and we fished a couple tournaments out of that little boat. It was a pretty labor intensive operation and messy as hell but the first finished product wasn’t terrible and would run in spit. He now owns Sabine Skiffs in La Porte.

Ha ha I know Brian too. I had to bring him some gas out in Sabine Lake one evening when he did not plan well. One of my box fans is still tinted red from him using it to ventilate a make shift paint booth as he was repainting his skiff in his garage.

He still owes me for that gas.

T

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
                http://www.uscomposites.com

This is where I buy all of my epoxy resins. Affordable and very high quality. Stay away from polyester resins. This is one of the kayaks I've built with their fiberglass and resins.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                Thanks for the info, that kayak looks incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                  Cool, I've talked to him a couple times on the phone, if I decide to buy a skiff instead of building, good possibility it will be one his.

Comment

wow. looks like one can get really deep into a build, for sure, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X