Anyone built there own skiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone built there own skiff?

My boys and I are thinking to build a skiff this summer, anyone on here done that? We initially were going to build a conchfish off of plans from Chris Morejohn, he designed and built the hells bay whip ray, which I've always wanted. Lately however we've been thinking the 18 Laguna Madre from bateau.com because it will be easier for our first build.

Interested to hear thoughts and experiences, we have a couple more projects to finish before we get serious but intend to build it in the garage at our bayhouse in Rockport.

I have a friend that did and your garage will be a mess and have materials blown everywhere.

Comment

Seems like a member did a build along in the diy section, if you havent already found it.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        I have a friend that did and your garage will be a mess and have materials blown everywhere.
        Its a large detached garage with no vehicles in it, Momma doesn't have to go out there so I'm not really worried about a mess

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
          Seems like a member did a build along in the diy section, if you havent already found it.
          Thanks I'll check it out.

Comment

I've not built a skiff, but I have built a drift boat, stitch and glue style, with fiberglass over marine grade plywood. I currently have a second one underway in my own garage. The Bateau boats look really solid.

I will say this, take all the warnings about epoxy sensitivity/fiberglass dust seriously, and expect it to take a year to finish the boat. It might take longer than that, but don't underestimate the effort!

Home Depot carries respirators from 3M, and you can get some very good filters for chemical work, and for sanding/grinding fiberglass. Those are an absolute must.

Comment

I just saw that they carry kits for some of the boats with plywood already cut to shape. That would save you a lot of time, and I'd highly recommend buying a full kit. Don't be dumb like me, with a two year boat project on your hands!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                I just saw that they carry kits for some of the boats with plywood already cut to shape. That would save you a lot of time, and I'd highly recommend buying a full kit. Don't be dumb like me, with a two year boat project on your hands!
                Thanks for the info, I am definitely thinking to buy the whole kit.

Comment

I have done it and built another for a friend. Search my user name on the bateau forum to find my build thread. I took the GF-16 plans and modified them a good bit, even added a tunnel against Jacques's recommendations. It does everything I need it to and I even used it in the streets of Port Arthur as Harvey was passing through.

I would not recommend buying the precut plywood kit as the measuring and cutting are good things you should work on with your kids. Definitely buy the epoxy and fiberglass kit from them though, and buy a couple of extra gallons of epoxy and the quick fair.
                  Doing it over the summer would be difficult but it depends on how much your kids could get done while you are at work during the day and what level of finish you desire. Building the boat is not that hard, but making it look good takes time.

If you are close to Houston there is a place that sells good quality marine plywood. Meranti and Okume

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                    I have done it and built another for a friend. Search my user name on the bateau forum to find my build thread. I took the GF-16 plans and modified them a good bit, even added a tunnel against Jacques's recommendations. It does everything I need it to and I even used it in the streets of Port Arthur as Harvey was passing through.

I would not recommend buying the precut plywood kit as the measuring and cutting are good things you should work on with your kids. Definitely buy the epoxy and fiberglass kit from them though, and buy a couple of extra gallons of epoxy and the quick fair.
                    Doing it over the summer would be difficult but it depends on how much your kids could get done while you are at work during the day and what level of finish you desire. Building the boat is not that hard, but making it look good takes time.

If you are close to Houston there is a place that sells good quality marine plywood. Meranti and Okume

Tim
                    Thanks for all the info Tim, I'll check out your build today. My boys are 18,22, and 24 and pretty handy, their skill level is much higher than mine, especially with fiberglass. We'll probably buy the pre-cut kit just to save some time on this first build.

Comment

Where in Houston sells marine plywood? I ordered mine online from Ohio.

Comment

My uncle built two back in the old days. Like minny versions of barges going up and down the Arroyo Colorado. Flat bottom out of plywood. He used them to fish and run ribbon lines in the flats. Since there wasn't much room he used ice chests to sit on, remember everyone making fun of that. If he broke down he had to push it to the intercoastal to get a tow. There weren't any other boats around to get into the flats. When we would fish the shallows, he would sit on the bow and walk the boat around. Dargel later came out with a two man skiff alot like the ones he made.

Comment

I'm planning to one of these winters, but haven't yet. When y'all do, start us a follow along thread.

Sent from somewhere

Comment

My brother did an XF 20 with a tunnel and put a merc 115 on it.

Said it was a cool labor intensive project, but he would never do another. He has a huge shop he built it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
                              My uncle built two back in the old days. Like minny versions of barges going up and down the Arroyo Colorado. Flat bottom out of plywood. He used them to fish and run ribbon lines in the flats. Since there wasn't much room he used ice chests to sit on, remember everyone making fun of that. If he broke down he had to push it to the intercoastal to get a tow. There weren't any other boats around to get into the flats. When we would fish the shallows, he would sit on the bow and walk the boat around. Dargel later came out with a two man skiff alot like the ones he made.
                              Cool story and great memories I bet! Did he glass the plywood or just paint it?

Comment

Working...
                              X