Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    Are teachers not required to student teach anymore? Honest question, IDK. But if so they should have an idea of what is going on.

Also, anyone who takes a job without knowing all the details of pay, benefits, etc., kinda deserves what they get.

If the school system is broke, and i believe it is, why should the tax payer ever consider paying more? Seems foolish, to pay more into a broken system. Fix the brokenness and then ask for more money if it is needed.

That is a reply to 2 people :-)
    So at 21 or 22 years old you knew everything about your job when you took it? Not buying it. That's the point, its changed in the last 10, 15, 30 yrs....30yrs ago teachers could enforce corporal punishment. Now they go to jail. Pretty drastic!!

Comment

Yes

Rarely, but you should know what is expected of you and what to expect of an employer before taking a job

And I would be the worlds worst salesman, it would go like this, "there are some widgets, if you want them buy them, if not I don't really care"
      Why pay income tax? Surely you realize it's a broken system, right

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        Student teachers here at Tech work with teachers the full year they are in school at Tech, but not sure if anything is told about anything above pay such as insurance unless that comes from the teacher they are under.

Agreed on the broken system and not paying any more into it, but do you have a better solution?

Just a question to you, will you get a pay raise next year or not and will it be more than the $200 I will get which will be spent on student needs like mine will?
        If i get a pay raise it will be entirely up to me as i work for myself. If i do make more money I will probably not spend it on school kids though haha.

I got a question for you, as a taxpayer if i send my kids to a private school, or home school, should i be given a tax break since i am not using government resources to educate my kids and am paying for their education entirely out of my pocket?

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
          So at 21 or 22 years old you knew everything about your job when you took it? Not buying it. That's the point, its changed in the last 10, 15, 30 yrs....30yrs ago teachers could enforce corporal punishment. Now they go to jail. Pretty drastic!!
          I dang sure knew pay, benefits, vacation etc. I also knew if i didn't like it i could, and did go find another one

Comment

Why pay income tax? Surely you realize it's a broken system, right
            I %100 do, and if it was not for the threat of jail, i would pay a % based on infrastructure and that is about it. But, that jail stuff.... haha

Comment

If i get a pay raise it will be entirely up to me as i work for myself. If i do make more money I will probably not spend it on school kids though haha.

I got a question for you, as a taxpayer if i send my kids to a private school, or home school, should i be given a tax break since i am not using government resources to educate my kids and am paying for their education entirely out of my pocket?
              Home schooled probably, but private school maybe not. I would have to do some research on that question.

Comment

I dang sure knew pay, benefits, vacation etc. I also knew if i didn't like it i could, and did go find another one
                Nobody is arguing that. The point is they deserve a raise because the requirements, responsibilities, circumstances, etc have changed since they signed up. This isn't hard to comprehend.

Comment

Nobody is arguing that. The point is they deserve a raise because the requirements, responsibilities, circumstances, etc have changed since they signed up. This isn't hard to comprehend.
                  They can also move to a new profession just like everyone else

Comment

I %100 do, and if it was not for the threat of jail, i would pay a % based on infrastructure and that is about it. But, that jail stuff.... haha
                    So you are threatened by your govt? Foreclosure/reposession doesn't concern you?

We can go on and on. I'm agreeing to disagree at this point and hoping some folks can prioritize what's important.

Comment

And once again, is that what you want for our youth/future?

Comment

I hear people complain all the time about raising taxes...but a lot of those same people will vote for a bond election to build a 60 to 100 million football stadium. I love all high school sports, but I just don’t see the need to build these kind of facilities. My wife is a teacher, she doesn’t complain about her pay, she complains more about the state taking teachers ability to teach away, because they want you to teach to the star test, which is a crock of bullturds.

Comment

I vote no on all bond elections as a matter of principle, but about %80-90 of the people vote against me and pass the **** things all the time, drives me up the wall.

Comment

OK. With a degree in Health & Physical Education with a minor in Biology and being in my prime (not 65 like I am) shat would you suggest going into as a career without loosing income to go back to school for another career.
                            You make it sound so simple to change careers. I have done it 4 times in my 65 years and it was not easy and in some situations not profitable in the long run. You seem to know how easy it is to change careers so let us in on your secret.

Comment

And once again, is that what you want for our youth/future?
                              I think we will have to agree to disagree too, because when society is dependent on schools and not family to teach our youth it is probably too late anyway. And i am talking more than teaching the three Rs, i mean morals, ethics, etc.

What i would like for our youth, is for their parents take responsibility for them. As it stands now many parents seem to think the school system is there to raise their kids, and the school system seems to have decided to try to take on that role, apparently willing and not begrudgingly. That is a huge part of the problem with schools, they are not parents, but by trying to play that role we have gotten where we are now. I really do not want to perpetuate this system, as i think it is quite possibly the worst thing we can do for the youth/future. Not necessarily the teacher's fault (possibly not at all the teachers fault), but it is the system we would be supporting by putting more money into it.

But anyway, i am sure a raise will get voted in, cause "its for the children" always works, even when the children are actually getting screwed in the long run.

Have a good one

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                OK. With a degree in Health & Physical Education with a minor in Biology and being in my prime (not 65 like I am) shat would you suggest going into as a career without loosing income to go back to school for another career.
                                You make it sound so simple to change careers. I have done it 4 times in my 65 years and it was not easy and in some situations not profitable in the long run. You seem to know how easy it is to change careers so let us in on your secret.
                                Never said it was easy, but if a situation is untenable you gotta do what you gotta do. If being a teacher pays you the most you can get with your degree, maybe the free market has decided that is what being a teacher is worth, and it sounds like you might be getting the most that your degree is worth. Please note that none of that is said in a crappy manner, just straight forward

Comment

Working...
                                X