No announcement yet.

Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No on raising property taxes, better yet eliminate them. I'd rather see a state sales tax increase so that all Texans, legal or otherwise can pay to educate our kids. My problem is that they don't get raises large enough to keep up with inflation yet they always seem to have enough to give the administrator's large raises.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
      I drive a school bus and have been at my current ISD for just over 5 years now. My route is inner city kids that range from 4 years old to 18. I work 5 1/2 hours each day and after deductions, my take home pay is only $670. Yep, $670 a month take home pay. Would any of you drive a 77 passenger bus for 5 1/2 hours a day with your back to these kids the entire time for $670 a month?

Luckily for me, I don’t drive a school bus for the money. I worked my butt off for 20 years so I’m in a financial position where I don’t have to work anymore. My job is a school bus driver because I have a heart to serve while being a good Christian roll model for these kids. The only problem is people like me are hard to find. There are several people where I work that their bus driving income is there only source of income. Due to the low pay, it is incredibly difficult to get people to drive a school bus. That is why EVERYWHERE you go you see signs saying “Now hiring school bus drivers”.

So what kind of person do you want driving your kids to school?
      There’s some perspective. No kidding about the bus drivers needed signs, they’re everywhere around here.

God bless

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boger View Post
        Problem is that teachers are not payed on a performance based scale. Plain and simple. NO raises for the deadwood and more money for the ones that earn it. Oh wait.. that’s too simple.
        You can't pay on a performance based scale IMO. Im torn on the raise... they get a lot of time off, they knew what it paid going into it, my property taxes are crazy..

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
          You can't pay on a performance based scale IMO. Im torn on the raise... they get a lot of time off, they knew what it paid going into it, my property taxes are crazy..
          Not as much time off as you would think. It comes to be about equal between any other job where you can take off almost anytime. I know a lot of teachers who have a hard time taking off during the school year. And during summer it’s in service and training.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
            Not as much time off as you would think. It comes to be about equal between any other job where you can take off almost anytime. I know a lot of teachers who have a hard time taking off during the school year. And during summer it’s in service and training.
            Well if you work a 40 hour job ( im not saying they don’t work some more hours) with 4 weeks paid vacation and 8 paid holidays it comes out to 232 days worked, a teacher is contracted to work 185 days a year with 13.5 days paid sick/ personal leave so if you took all those days it’s 171.5 days worked which is 60.5 less days, and in a 5 day work week would be roughly 12 weeks less work than the 40 hour/week job. So if you take 50k a year divided by the 171.5 days worked it comes to $291.5/day worked. If you take $291.5 and multiply times 232 it comes out to 67,628.. so they don’t make that much per year but by the day they make a lot more than what people consider.. and that’s comparing it to a job that gets 4 weeks vacation and 8 paid holidays..

Comment

You do know that teachers are not paid for all that time off..right?

Comment

No to both, I know a good amount of teachers some being family and considering the time off versus pay it works out and they don’t complain. Now they do complain about some of the kids / parents they have to deal with but no matter what profession your in you gotta deal with folks you don’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would be fine with teachers being exempt from property taxes

Comment

What is the difference in responsibilities between a 3rd grade teacher that has taught for 8 years versus 18 years?

$55k is not an insignificant amount of money, especially for entry level. Is that amount average?

Giving blanket raises just because seems illogical.

Do not raise my taxes. Do not give blanket raises.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                      What is the difference in responsibilities between a 3rd grade teacher that has taught for 8 years versus 18 years?

$55k is not an insignificant amount of money, especially for entry level. Is that amount average?

Giving blanket raises just because seems illogical.

Do not raise my taxes. Do not give blanket raises.
                      The responsibilities between now and 10yrs ago for teachers is not even close. More testing, more training, more hours, less discipline, etc.....

Comment

Its not an education , property tax thing. All of this could be solved if the state would stop the wasteful spending. Every single state agency is top heavy not just in the Education field. TxDot, DPS , DMV, TDCJ, DSHS, TPWD, TWDB , TRC ect….. are all extremely top heavy. Dishing out huge 6-10 thousand dollar a year raises for directors, creating positions at that same pay grade, and then coming back and asking the state to fund more money for front line staff is crazy. "That's the **** problem" . You can go online and see what every state employee makes , its public knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                          No need to raise property taxes to fund teachers. My wife is a teacher and I am against it. We make decent money and live within our means. The problem is with the wasteful admin. My cousin teaches at Klein and loves his job Makes good money. However, they have 21 assistance principals on campus. There is no need for that. Also, just because they make more does not mean they will be better teachers or the kids will learn more.

And kill all the teacher in service days for cry'n out loud. You could finish the school year 2-3 weeks sooner and be able to cut back on building utility bills.............

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            You do know that teachers are not paid for all that time off..right?
                            No? You mean the personal/sick days or what?

Comment

No? You mean the personal/sick days or what?
                              Summer break, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring break.

Comment

Well if you work a 40 hour job ( im not saying they don’t work some more hours) with 4 weeks paid vacation and 8 paid holidays it comes out to 232 days worked, a teacher is contracted to work 185 days a year with 13.5 days paid sick/ personal leave so if you took all those days it’s 171.5 days worked which is 60.5 less days, and in a 5 day work week would be roughly 12 weeks less work than the 40 hour/week job. So if you take 50k a year divided by the 171.5 days worked it comes to $291.5/day worked. If you take $291.5 and multiply times 232 it comes out to 67,628.. so they don’t make that much per year but by the day they make a lot more than what people consider.. and that’s comparing it to a job that gets 4 weeks vacation and 8 paid holidays..
                                I get where your coming from when you lay it all out like that, this very close to what my wife makes. I never looked at it like that since she has her paychecks spread out over 12 months. I think it’s a great salary and we have no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                X