Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    Short answer is no raise at taxpayer expense. But there is no way the money is not already there.

I agree. A quick look at superintendent shows the average salary is over $140,000 with the highest being over $400k. Put a cap on super's at $125k and adjust the admin down from there (the same way teachers salaries are structured for experience, etc.). I bet that alone would cover the majority of the raises.

You could do the same for high school football coaches and cap it at $100k and and adjust down from there for assistants, etc. Then start looking at uniform costs (band, football, basketball, etc.). They don't need the same costing uniforms that colleges have.

Then there are the fancy cars the school pd drive and the list can go on forever.

The money is there without raising the property taxes.
    Okay, so you save $15m on the Supt's salary. How many teachers in the Pflugerville district? Multiply that number times $5m. How will that get funded? No way by cutting that much in expenses EVERY year.

Comment

No I’m not, because enough money is spent on sports to give teachers a pay raise but most of the alumni and certainly the board members are all about sports and less about education. No discussion about teacher pay raises is complete (or serious) without discussing wasted money.

Comment

I am not in favor of raising property taxes. The state of Texas has seen tremendous increases in tax assessed values during this real estate cycle and the amount of property tax collected has increased significantly. Not only have property values increased but taxing jurisdictions have also increased the tax rate so they are getting a bigger piece of a bigger pie. If throwing more money at education is the fix to the problem then we would have seen some dividends materialize already due to the tremendous increase in taxes flowing in but IMO there have not been any recognizable benefit displayed through a better Texas school system.

The whole system needs to be scrapped and started over. Throwing more money at the heaping pile of junk isn't the solution. There has to be a line drawn in the sand on property taxes because it is downright outrageous the amount of property taxes we pay in Texas.

My wife is a teacher. She along with everyone else knew the pay and benefits when they signed up. Its no secret. Texas has the best job market in the US for people seeking employment. With the level of dysfunction in Texas public schools, combined with the pay range, there is no reason to stay in a role as a teacher in the current job market IMO unless its your lifelong passion and a labor of love. If you're in it for the money then you made a wrong turn somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          No I’m not, because enough money is spent on sports to give teachers a pay raise but most of the alumni and certainly the board members are all about sports and less about education. No discussion about teacher pay raises is complete (or serious) without discussing wasted money.
          So you want to cut out all sports?

Have you ever reviewed your school district's budget to ferret out any waste?

Comment

No, I’m not in favor of increasing my taxes for teacher raises

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
              No, I’m not in favor of increasing my taxes for teacher raises
              So are you against the teacher raises?

Comment

I’d pay more if I knew it was going to teachers pay raises. I have paid more taxes every year but don’t think teachers have gotten any raises

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  Okay, so you save $15m on the Supt's salary. How many teachers in the Pflugerville district? Multiply that number times $5m. How will that get funded? No way by cutting that much in expenses EVERY year.
                  The Super's salary is a start or an example. The example also includes everyone that works in the admin building, coaches, etc. The whole system needs to be looked at statewide. How many $5k raises could be handed out for the cost of Allen's football stadium? 12,000. Or Pflugerville's for that matter? 5160. And then add the cost of busing players, band members etc. across town (a small town) for a home game instead of using the stadium adjacent to the school. PFISD just paid $50k an acre for the land for the last high school when every bit of land around there was selling for $30k an acre tops. The waste may not be much in smaller districts but it is ridiculous in the larger ones.

I see your point but at the same time the money is there within the govt system. It may be apples and oranges although I think it is a lot closer than that but it's like the old saying "How come you hear about social security running out but never hear about welfare running out of money". The list is endless that money can be found for until it is teacher's pay...

Comment

Originally posted by bauce302 View Post
                    Well go back to school and get your masters or phd and then put in your 10+ years so you can be at central office and get those big raises too! That attitude is like these kids that want everything, now, and free.
                    Ignorant. You have no idea what you are talking about and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      So are you against the teacher raises?
                      You are similar in mindset to the left

Comment

NO! I don't have kids and never will. I have paid enough school taxes already.

Comment

my property taxes go up every year anyway. Might as well give the teachers a raise!

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            The Super's salary is a start or an example. The example also includes everyone that works in the admin building, coaches, etc. The whole system needs to be looked at statewide. How many $5k raises could be handed out for the cost of Allen's football stadium? 12,000. Or Pflugerville's for that matter? 5160. And then add the cost of busing players, band members etc. across town (a small town) for a home game instead of using the stadium adjacent to the school. PFISD just paid $50k an acre for the land for the last high school when every bit of land around there was selling for $30k an acre tops. The waste may not be much in smaller districts but it is ridiculous in the larger ones.

I see your point but at the same time the money is there within the govt system. It may be apples and oranges although I think it is a lot closer than that but it's like the old saying "How come you hear about social security running out but never hear about welfare running out of money". The list is endless that money can be found for until it is teacher's pay...
                            Only the tip of the iceberg.

Administration, and politics are castrating the education system in this state. If those involved were willing to do their actual jobs, quit wasting money and resources, and put the actual education of our kids first....this could all be funded with minimal expense to the average taxpayer.

To say nothing of the misappropriation of lottery funds originally intended for education.

For the time being, yes I support raising property taxes for the purpose of raising teacher's salaries. They are going to raise them anyway, we might as well spend it wisely for once...

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              You are similar in mindset to the left
                              Yeah, I know. I am a flaming liberal snowflake and don't know what to do about it. For the life of me, I cannot think logically. That's just the way I am, and I hate myself for it!

Comment

I guess with only given an opportunity to either vote yes or no, I would have to go YES.

But I do think there area so many other ways to fund the teachers pay raises that do not include additional taxation, with some mentioned above.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X