5.7 Hemi problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.7 Hemi problems

So I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman (Mossy Oak Edition) that I bought brand new 7 years ago. It just turned 100k a month ago. I’ve had it at 90mph once. That’s it.

Couple of weeks ago, my motor developed a “ticking” sound. I dismissed as the exhaust manifold bolts broken. The sound got louder, so much so, I could hear it while driving.

I took it in to the dealer and off the bat, they said it was the infamous Hemi Rick, affecting gen 2 and 3 hemi engines. That tick is the result of stuck lifters that grind against the camshaft.

This issue is so big, there’s a 10 month, 10,000 order backlog to fix the problem.

From YouTube vids, I saw HEMI’s ranging from new with 400 miles to 64k miles having this issue.

My father in law has a 2004 Ram hemi with 280k miles and zero issues.

I spoke with a local garage and they’ve seen this issue a million times. The manager said they’ve put Hellcat lifters, springs, and cams in the engine, adding a Diablo tuner to delete the MDS. He said it really improves the performance of the Hemi, but at a price tag of $5.5k. I was gonna sell it to KBB for $12k like it is. That was there offer. I was gonna put that money on a new truck, but I’ve had mine paid off for the last three years.

I decided to bite the bullet and go with the Hellcat upgrade until my buddy asked how much a new engine sold for.

Did a little research and found a company out of Michigan, Gearhead Engines, that sell remanufactured, not rebuilt, engines.

I switched gears and ordered a “new”, remanufactured engine with the installation kit and a 7 year/100,000 mile no-fault warranty from $3800 shipped. The shop is charging me $1,000 for motor swap. So I’ll be getting out of this thing a couple 100 bucks less than it was to just replace the lifters and cams.

Ordered the engine Tuesday and it will arrive at the shop tomorrow.

I’ll keep y’all posted on how this thing goes. Attached is a pic of what I was facing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man that sucks...I was going to make a Dodge joke but that is a catastrophic failure. Was it running and driving despite the damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      Man that sucks...I was going to make a Dodge joke but that is a catastrophic failure. Was it running and driving despite the damage?

Yeah. Hadn’t gotten to the point where it was throwing codes, but it was only a matter of time. Guys with similar problems were experiencing cylinder firing problems.

Comment

I sold my '06 MegaCab with the 5.7 and 206k miles on it to the first guy who came and looked at it and drove it. He was amazed that it didn't have the "Hemi tick" and was happy as can be when he came by for the title a few weeks later. I've heard of it, but haven't known a single owner who has dealt with it

Glad you found the reman engine for your truck

Comment

Well that really sucks. So is that the results of not enough lubrication or crappy chinese metal?

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
            Well that really sucks. So is that the results of not enough lubrication or crappy chinese metal?

**** poor design coupled with poor quality metals. The MDS seems to be the epicenter for this issue.

Comment

I have an '05 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 with almost 250k on her. She's still going strong mechanically and has had very little problems since I bought her new almost 14 years ago, but is starting to wear out on the interior. I've been seriously considering upgrading but after reading this I think I'll stay put until she gives me a solid reason to sell her.

Comment

My wife's 2012 5.7 did the same thing. Small tick at first and they said hemi tick as well. Well later it progressed and took it back in and they said it needed new cams and lifters. Luckily I paid extra for the lifetime maxcare warranty and they replaced them for $100.00 deductible. All good now.

Comment

Sounds to me like Dodge needs to issue a recall and fix it. Otherwise a class action lawsuit should be filed. Just sayin.

Doug

Comment

You might as well upgrade!!!!
                    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 6.2 Hellcat Crate Engine Mopar RESTOMOD HOTROD Dodge Plymouth 68303089AA at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

They won’t recall due to it not being a safety issue

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                        **** poor design coupled with poor quality metals. The MDS seems to be the epicenter for this issue.

Chevy has the same issue with their DOD system. It eats up lifters/cams and those shavings tear everything else up.

That wear is crazy on the cam. My buddy got his taken care of under warranty with the same issue but he didn't get any pictures of the damage.

Comment

What is the difference between remanufactured and rebuilt??

Comment

100k on a 7 year old truck isnt many miles. Totally unacceptable IMO.

Comment

So I have a ‘12 with 140k miles. I get the tick pretty loud when I first start it but it quiets down, which I assume is once it pumps oil back up into the lifters? Hasn’t thrown any codes or caused performance issues so I haven’t worried much about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X