No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rusty for this thread and for keeping it going!!!!

Comment

Not sure if I missed it, Rusty did you or your neighbor kill anything this year?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
        Not sure if I missed it, Rusty did you or your neighbor kill anything this year?
        I decided not to take any of the top end bucks.Candidly could have shot the biggest one out the window of the truck the only time I saw him all season but chose not to. Excepting him I thought all the rest of the really big ones were 4 or 5. Happy to give them another year. My neighbor didn't shoot any big ones either. Interestingly, his property was under water much of the summer and the quality on that part of the farm was way down. Another data point on the power of nutrition .

Comment

Well a great spring should jump start those deer with an extra year of age.. I have two that have lost their horns already so it wont be long until shed time. Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Comment

The YouTube channel sounds like a great idea! Let us know the name when you have it so we can subscribe.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              OK, I've been thinking of ways to keep this interesting as I tend to repeat the same general steps every year. So I got the younger generation in the family to set up a couple of youtube sites. My plan will be to video many of the steps we take as well as other farm activities . I'll try clips short enough and hopefully detail rich enough to tell a story. Also have some clips of deer from the season that may be entertaining.Any feedback will be appreciated.

In the mean time I have a friend that gave me a super sack of soy beans and a super sack of corn. We mixed the two and filled all the feeders last week. Even though the food plots are doing great I think there is value to helping the bucks recover from the rut and be available thru the harsh winter weather yet to come. I'll shift to protein pellets about antler drop but for now more interested in energy and fat.
              Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              The YouTube channel sounds like a great idea! Let us know the name when you have it so we can subscribe.
              I agree, I think its a great idea and would enjoy the videos.

Comment

Looking forward to your YouTube videos!

Comment

elgato, enjoy your thread. Personally I would like to see a few more pics of the bucks progression and the end result with the hunter/hunters. Also, most of your info is for larger properties. How about some micro/small/ hunting plots? Maybe a share with the group type "trade" secrets for those of us that don't have large plots or farming equipment.

Comment

Its rough out there. This 4 yr old is the same one from post 2161. Deep forked 2's with a great drop. We had pics of him all summer in a pea field about 3/4 mile from where this pic was taken. I filmed him at least a mile from where he was during the summer. He moves around a lot and apparently others take exception to him entering their turf.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Lets get ready to rumblllllllllllle!!!!!!!!

Comment

Rusty, how was your mexico season? I saw your big buck from last year at the taxidermy shop, before and after the mount was finished. He is simply one of the most impressive bucks I've ever been around. I'm so happy to have seen him in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                          Rusty, how was your mexico season? I saw your big buck from last year at the taxidermy shop, before and after the mount was finished. He is simply one of the most impressive bucks I've ever been around. I'm so happy to have seen him in person.
                          Thanks

Season in Mexico was tough. With only 3-5” rain January thru August quality was down. Then about 20” rain September October lit the ranch up with winter weeds. Hard to find anything. Also had one of the biggest mesquite bean crops ever which pulled bucks off pellets contributing to compromised quality. So we decided not to take any of the top end bucks.

Still nothing like hunting the brush country. I’m off to ranch this morning

Comment

Thanks

Season in Mexico was tough. With only 3-5” rain January thru August quality was down. Then about 20” rain September October lit the ranch up with winter weeds. Hard to find anything. Also had one of the biggest mesquite bean crops ever which pulled bucks off pellets contributing to compromised quality. So we decided not to take any of the top end bucks.

Still nothing like hunting the brush country. I’m off to ranch this morning
                            You still thinking dos cientos got taken out by a lion, or did you find him again? I know he went underground last year.

Looks like you have some great years ahead of you in Louisiana if you can avoid the floods.

Comment

First shed of the year 87 4/8" with 24 6/8" mass A 5 yr old I think
                              Attached Files

Comment

First shed of the year 87 4/8" with 24 6/8" mass A 5 yr old I think

Amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                X