Debating Arrow Build for 77# Vertix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debating Arrow Build for 77# Vertix

I took a jump up in draw weight when I bought my Vertix. The bow pulls 77# on a scale, and my draw length is 27.5" I usually like arrows cut pretty close to that or an inch or so shorter. I have a treasure trove of 100gr heads, meaning I am mostly limited to insert/outsert options to control FOC.

My current arrows are undoubtedly weak: 27.5" Injexion 330 with Firenock Outserts (31gr). Surprisingly they shoot ok and from the limited amount I have shot them they will put a BH within 2" of my FP @ 20 yards which is as far as I have tried them. We got some bullet holes while paper tuning, and some minor (1/3") high tears.

Option 1: I'm looking at going to a 300 Axis with 50gr brass HIT. The only downside here is I have liked the ease of pulling from foam with my Injexions and they have been very durable; however, I've shot Axis for a long time in the past and they never let me down.

Option 2: 280 Injexion with the Easton Ti Half-out (yes I know its really an outser/pin system). The problem is when cut to ~27.5" these will be stiff.

I've put them both into OTA and the Axis is pretty much pure green, whereas the Injexion looks pretty stiff. They come in at similar weights and calculated speeds, with Injexions being very slightly heavier.

Thoughts, opinions?

Out of your 2 options I would go with the option 1.
    But if I were to go with option 1 just use the 75 grain insert and 100 grain heads.

But if it were me I would use goldtip xt hunter in 300 spine with 50 grain aluminum insert or 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. Another thing about the goldtip inserts is you can add or take away weights to the back of the inserts.
    I currently shoot xt hunters with 50 grain aluminum insert and 125 grain heads. So far the broadheads I have put on have same poi with field points.
    Hope this helps ya

Comment

I have some Axis 300. (27.25") with 75gr and 50gr inserts. Your welcome to shoot them to see if that's what you want to build or not.

Comment

Go to the axis or have muddyfuzzy build you some black eagles

Comment

Either option. But option 2 will let you play with more tip weight if you want.

Also they won’t be to stiff. You would need to be shooting 200 spine shafts before you would need to think about an shaft being to stiff. Even then as long as form is consistent, 200 spine would shoot great.

Comment

I'm with enewman, unless you are done experimenting, go with the Injexions.

I only say that because, you have a lot of 100gr heads NOW, you may want to play with some heavier heads down the road.

Plus it sounds like you already like them a little better.

No way they will be too stiff, again, like enewman said.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              I'm with enewman, unless you are done experimenting, go with the Injexions.

I only say that because, you have a lot of 100gr heads NOW, you may want to play with some heavier heads down the road.

Plus it sounds like you already like them a little better.

No way they will be too stiff, again, like enewman said.

It’s a good point that they give me room to experiment with 100+ heads with plenty of spine to play up on point size if I want. Should be a pretty flexible arrow where if I need weight I just jump up in points and end up with a better FOC anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Comment

I love my axis 300 they blow thru walls

Also just tried the gold tip velocity in 300 and having similar results while increased the foc

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  I love my axis 300 they blow thru walls

Also just tried the gold tip velocity in 300 and having similar results while increased the foc

Yeah I shot Axis 300 with 75 HITs last year and they definitely got the job done. But with 77# I’d need to duck to the 50 IMO. That 7# has really caused me to do some head scratching coming up with an arrow build.

Overall I guess at that DW it would probably be difficult to be too stiff in most arrows. The challenge is keeping speed where I want it in those heavier spines. I like hunting where 95% of the time I can leave my Fast Eddie on 20 and shoot almost any set at my lease out to 40 yards (double pin). Also like having enough travel on sight to sling some arrows @100 when at the range.

Comment

Any thoughts of the Black Eagle X Impact. They came out with some new outserts called FOCUS that look really amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X