DIY Mailbox post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Mailbox post

Well we had a college kid running from the cops drive through our front yard and run over our mailbox so I thought what a time for a new fun project
    Attached Files

Looks good

Comment

I had the same thing happen a few years back. I decided on 3/4" steel plate welded on a piece of 6" pipe placed four feet in the ground. Then found a heavy duty steel mailbox. Still waiting for someone to hit this one.

Comment

I made these for my house and the neighbors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mailbox16.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	24564693

Comment

Originally posted by axisguy View Post
          I had the same thing happen a few years back. I decided on 3/4" steel plate welded on a piece of 6" pipe placed four feet in the ground. Then found a heavy duty steel mailbox. Still waiting for someone to hit this one.
          You know it’s possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Let’s hope in that case your mailbox doesn’t cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin4D View Post
            You know it’s possible that someone could unintentionally hit your mailbox. Like an accident. Let’s hope in that case your mailbox doesn’t cause way more damage to their car than a normal one would. Or HURT SOMEONE in the car. But by all means, patiently wait for someone to hit your bad*** mailbox.
            Doesn’t matter what I build my mailbox out of. It’s in no way, shape or form my fault if someone else runs into it, regardless of how much damage occurs. By your logic the state should be responsible for someone hitting a concrete overpass piling, the power company liable when someone hits a telephone pole and the rape victim is at fault for dressing slutty

Comment

What kind of ***** backwards logic is this? Its HIS property he can build it however he seems fit. Intentionally or unintentionally it shouldn't be hit at all. This is the problem with society right here. Let's blame the innocent person who's property got destroyed for the extra damage it did to a car that wasn't supposed to run into it in the first place...

Also accidents are ALWAYS someone's fault so if it gets hit then SOMEONE else is at fault whether directly or indirectly and no it's not the person who owns the mailboxes fault in any way shape or form.

Comment

They will hold up; I made one like that 16 years ago for our lake house at PK... it's still doing it's job. Haven't had anyone run it over yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
                  Doesn’t matter what I build my mailbox out of. It’s in no way, shape or form my fault if someone else runs into it, regardless of how much damage occurs. By your logic the state should be responsible for someone hitting a concrete overpass piling, the power company liable when someone hits a telephone pole and the rape victim is at fault for dressing slutty
                  Actually smart guy, it does matter what you build a mailbox out of. Straight from the USPS website:

Installing the Post

The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
                  Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
                  Bury your post no more than 24” deep.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                    What kind of ***** backwards logic is this? Its HIS property he can build it however he seems fit. Intentionally or unintentionally it shouldn't be hit at all. This is the problem with society right here. Let's blame the innocent person who's property got destroyed for the extra damage it did to a car that wasn't supposed to run into it in the first place...

Also accidents are ALWAYS someone's fault so if it gets hit then SOMEONE else is at fault whether directly or indirectly and no it's not the person who owns the mailboxes fault in any way shape or form.
                    Backwards logic? I don’t think so..yours Is and his might be.
                    He said he built the mailbox the way he did, and is anticipating the result if a car hit it. Whether he wants satisfaction of knowing if the mailbox will hold up or the car will sustain a lot of damage I don’t know.

How about a story to prove my logic is not backwards. I totalled a truck when I ran off the road and hit someone’s pipe fence bracing. I wasn’t mad at them and did not blame them for it. It was necessary for them to have that pipe fence bracing. It’s not necessary to have a mailbox built that way and it’s not suggested by the Federal Highway Administration either.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                      I made these for my house and the neighbors.

[ATTACH]939708[/ATTACH]
                      Great job!

Comment

Actually smart guy, it does matter what you build a mailbox out of. Straight from the USPS website:

Installing the Post

The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).

That is only a "recommendation". I do not see in any way where it states a liability issue if someone were to run into my mailbox on my property. I do see where it would be in the interest of safety for vehicle passengers as a wooden post would give way much easier reducing the possibility for injury to anyone in a vehicle. But dose not place the blame of the mailbox owner for damages.

But then, I'm not a Texas attorney or practice law in any way or form, except on special occasion when representing my self. And even then I still sometimes use "legal counsel" for direction. Course I do believe I can sue or be sued for/by anybody for anything in this state (according to my studies and legal counsel).

I do highly suggest you consult with a Texas attorney on the matter. And not give "legal advice" over the internet, unless your a licensed legal attorney. Just a suggestion.
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-30-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Nice work Jason!

Comment

Installing the Post

Dang,according to your information everyone in our subdivision has a deadly mailbox! All the mailbox's the home builders built are brick are stone.Kind of makes me wonder why out of the hundreds of home's built with these mailboxes not one home inspector caught these death traps!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              That is only a "recommendation". I do not see in any way where it states a liability issue if someone were to run into my mailbox on my property. I do see where it would be in the interest of safety for vehicle passengers as a wooden post would give way much easier reducing the possibility for injury to anyone in a vehicle. But dose not place the blame of the mailbox owner for damages.

But then, I'm not a Texas attorney or practice law in any way or form, except on special occasion when representing my self. And even then I still sometimes use "legal counsel" for direction. Course I do believe I can sue or be sued for/by anybody for anything in this state (according to my studies and legal counsel).

I do highly suggest you consult with a Texas attorney on the matter. And not give "legal advice" over the internet, unless your a licensed legal attorney. Just a suggestion.
                              Yes they recommend not building out of potentially dangerous supports like heavy metal pipes. You know, like common sense, which was the point of my original post.

I interpreted Axisguys post that he built his mailbox the way he did, in disregard to what could potentially happen to the other party involved. Im sure that is not the case, I apologize, but I still stand by my thoughts that it’s not a good idea. That’s all I’m trying to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X