Roundup (glyphosate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonW View Post
    Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Selective breeding - i.e. the old fashioned way. And now those techniques can't keep up with exploding population growth. So we figured out how to cut out the middleman & get results faster - it's the American way. For better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by beefiedoubleoh View Post
      Selective breeding - i.e. the old fashioned way. And now those techniques can't keep up with exploding population growth. So we figured out how to cut out the middleman & get results faster - it's the American way. For better or worse.
      You obviously have no plant breeding knowledge. Selective breeding is sill a mainstay. Traits are integressed after breeding occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        So what are you using for weed control on a no till operation?

Oh yeah... herbicide
        If you are genuinely interested you can go to my thread “ a year in the life of a farm “. I use crops to create deep thatch that I drill in to. The thatch suppresses weeds while the new cultivars get started. I plant thick multi specie crops that crowd out most weeds. I haven’t used synthetic fertilizers in years as the crops create the fertility. Yes. I do occasionally use gly but sparingly I merely am copying what many large scale farmers are successfully doing now.

I like this dialogue and the expected passion on both sides. The facts are that large scale farming utilizing new techniques that minimize or eliminate poisons Are in practice today in the u s and are highly profitable all whilst improving soil and ecology

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          If you are genuinely interested you can go to my thread “ a year in the life of a farm “. I use crops to create deep thatch that I drill in to. The thatch suppresses weeds while the new cultivars get started. I plant thick multi specie crops that crowd out most weeds. I haven’t used synthetic fertilizers in years as the crops create the fertility. Yes. I do occasionally use gly but sparingly I merely am copying what many large scale farmers are successfully doing now.

I like this dialogue and the expected passion on both sides. The facts are that large scale farming utilizing new techniques that minimize or eliminate poisons Are in practice today in the u s and are highly profitable all whilst improving soil and ecology
          How are you terminating the cover crop?

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
            First, a lot more people died of starvation. Gmo's have saved millions of people. Norman Borlaug is credited with literally saving a billion lives. With a b. Because of gmo's. Second, people keep having babies. The population has grown nearly exponentially over the last 50 years. It's not stopping. If you think 50's agriculture can support that, pull your head out of the sand. Going back to 50 bushel corn isn't going to help anyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Like I said, it would take a culture change. We would have to sacrifice some convenience and spend a little more of our income on food.

We've created this monster and driven small farmers out of business in favor of monstrous factory farming operations. Who would have thought that our largest pork producer would be owned by the Chinese and receiving bailout money from our government? The fact that so few control such a large portion of our food production is alarming at the very least.

If the vast majority of our food wasn't processed on the level it is we wouldn't rely on corn as much as we do-not to mention ethanol. But as long as we feed our kids high-fructose corn syrup by the cup full in the name of flavor and convenience, we're to blame-not starving people. Which is more common now-hunger or obesity?

Our modern production model right now ends up with around half of the food produced expiring/thrown away anyway.

As long as our food is mainly high-fructose corn syrup and highly processed grain we're in big trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
              We are using natural selection. The people that can use these products on label with proper ppe live. The idiots that can't get cancer and die.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So let's take the stuff that people who don't use proper PPE die from and put it on all our food.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                How are you terminating the cover crop?
                Roller crimper

See it on my thread

Comment

We've created this monster and driven small farmers out of business in favor of monstrous factory farming operations. Who would have thought that our largest pork producer would be owned by the Chinese and receiving bailout money from our government? The fact that so few control such a large portion of our food production is alarming at the very least.
                  This has gone on to the point that supply and demand don’t work anymore. You can’t vote with your dollars if the handful of producers don’t provide the consumer with the product they want. Unless you shop at the flagship H-E-B or Whole Foods only, it’s basically impossible to purchase only organic/ grass fed/ free range.

That being said, local farming and organic farming have been increasing steady for quite some time now. As more people who buy local and organic (or don’t) the markets will be able to better dictate what is sold. As with any market, those producers that pay attention and get ahead of the growing trend will benefit, while those who don’t will fall behind.

Comment

Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

We sucked termites off a stick naked.

Comment

And to make it worse you have the government subsidizing the factory farming/CAFO industry while regulating the family farmer to the point he can't produce and sell, much less compete.

The govt regulation is set by politicians, so you end up with confusing definitions and labels. This has many well-intentioned consumers spending more money on marginally better foods that funnel even more money into the factory farm industry. Consumers that care have to really educate themselves on labels such as organic, cage-free, natural, etc. Most "organic" or "cage-free" poultry spend their lives in CAFO barns, for example. Same with pork. Sanderson Farms is in court right now defending their "natural" label while using medications, antibiotics, etc.

Comment

The “family farmer” is alive and well. I deal with well over 250 farms south of Corpus Christi alone. Gotta back this stuff with facts fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                          There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in today’s ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMO’s would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.
                          I suspect you work in the chemical industry of agriculture? If so, I would expect that the majority of people who are employed in that industry would agree that RoundUp is a must.

Fortunately there is a growing number of farmers who have proven that RoundUp is NOT a must. They're actually more profitable than their neighbors because they don't spend money on RoundUp (or chemical fertilizer for that matter).

Comment

Big ag is one of the largest welfare recipients in this country.

Comment

Roundup (glyphosate)

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              I've been to Joels farm. He is one of my mentors

I haven't been to his farm, but also one of my mentors. He and men like Gabe Brown and Ray Archuleta completely changed my way of thinking. One of the reasons I took a break from truck farming produce was the effect chemicals and tillage were having on my ground (Pigweed is a good example). Now that I'm rotating beef, pork, and poultry I'm ready to try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                Personally I am more worried about the food that is imported into this country from foreign countries that have no regs.. We have no idea what we are being subjected to when eating that are we have no way of knowing that it is imported..
                                I watched a documentary on the imported seafood industry and the amount that enters this country and that was failing inspection was phenomenal..

80% that was inspected failed but the FDA only has enough man power to inspect roughly 10%. So 80% of only 10% fails... the other 90% makes to Americas table...….

Im sure the imported beef market isn't much better....

In the mean time we need to bring back Chlordane(a lot of you youngins have never heard of this)for a few years to eradicate the fire ants..
                                It's no different here. Our food is no better, cleaner, or healthier. The FDA could care less.
                                Like when they said no farm raised shrimp in US because of mercury. What do they do, move all the farms to overseas, farm shrimp full of mercury, and ship it back over here.
                                The FDA is not trying to protect you or make food safer in anyway, it's quite the opposite.
                                The number 1 cause of death in America is Heart Disease. It's PREVENTABLE in something like 85% of cases. Number 1 cause, our food. Type 2 Diabetes, the most common, 100% preventable, number 1 cause our food. The ADA list foods/meals on their website for those with diabetes. These foods/meals have been shown to cause or hasten diabetes .
                                Today's food is no healthier than smoking a cigarette.
                                The amount of plastic in food, is mind boggling in itself.
                                No regulatory commission of the US government cares about your health.
                                The biggest problem is Americans as a whole, simply do not care.
                                Try something different because we are destroying the environment, not on your life buddy, as has already been evidenced in this thread.
                                Also I found out I'm a snowflake, and **** proud of it!!
                                Last edited by MadHatter; 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X