DIY Electric Smoker build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Electric Smoker build

Just bought a commercial refrigerator for $100. I’m gutting it tomorrow. I wanna make this a hot/cold smoker. I have a Big Kahuna cold smoke generator, so converting it to a cold smoker is the easy part.

Where I need some ideas is installing the heating element and pid.

Y’all have any ideals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sell the elements that start charcoal in academy. Don’t know if you can regulate the settings

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      They sell the elements that start charcoal in academy. Don’t know if you can regulate the settings

I can buy an oven heating element.

Comment

I am not any help, but I am in to see the finished product. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
          I am not any help, but I am in to see the finished product. Good luck.
          x2

Comment

I have the same idea in mind, and have done some research on it. Smoking meat forums has some good info over there. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...-smoker.85462/
            My idea was to get a generic PID controller off amazon and have it run a relay that operated the heating element. Tuning seems to be the biggest challenge, but seems doable. Good luck to you, let us know what you find

Comment

Built a cerakote oven for a friend of mine a few years back. Used this:

It worked fine, should be equally fine with a heating element from an oven. Not much to it, really. We mounted the thermocouple high in his build, I would think, that unless you are going to have more than one in there high would be best for your smoker as well.
              Last edited by roughneck266; 12-27-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                I can buy an oven heating element.

A buddy of mine converted an old refrigerator to a smoker. He used a electric stove replacement burner that he installed in the bottom of the fridge and a replacement oven control unit he mounted on the side. Used a iron skillet to put the wood chunks on.

Comment

I used a cheap hot plate. Plugged it into an outlet that was mounted to the side and controlled by the PID and relay.

Comment

Find a cheap or free electric oven and canabilize the controller and heating element from it. I did the same thing but with a gas oven and mounted the burner and controller in my smoke house. Works great.

Comment

An electric hot plate with a skillet for the wood to get the smoke and heat. Add a layer of sheet metal above it to keep any grease from dripping on to it. You can buy controllers tp control the temp that the hot plate plugs into.

Comment

Following

Comment

The PID controllers are simple to build. They will keep the temp closer than anything else that's out there. You just push a button, and it will learn what it needs to do to maintain the setpoint. That's what the P. I. D. means, proportional, integral, derivative, control.
                          I built one for my Lee lead smelter, and it keeps the lead within 5 degrees of setpoint. I built it with male and female plugs and screw connections for the thermocouple, and its portable. So I can set it up on my masterbuilt smoker that has a bad temp controller, once I actually get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X