No announcement yet.

Corn all year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I turn off the corn after the season and break out the protein. Turn the corn back on in September.

Comment

We typically feed corn until the season starts, then we switch to a simple mixture of water and maple syrup. We take that and hand spray all the small shrubs in the area and it lets the deer make useable food out of normally inedible substances. Hell sometimes we just spray with water and that does the trick. You have to be careful though cause the syrup attracts the snakes something awful.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
        Do any of you guys just feed plain ol corn all year? No protein or other attractants, just plain corn. I know it has no benefits for deer but just to keep them around.
        We go real hardcore. No protein, no attractants, & no feeder. Just one 40 pound bag of hand corn every couple weeks

Comment

while we're on this subject and I have a new(first ever) feeder and do not have any fencing around it yet but plan to soon. I want to use the shorter cattle panels but unsure of how big the pen should be? I want to keep the pigs out of the pen but keep them coming around, while allowing deer INTO the pen.
          Last edited by tdwinklr; 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I feed corn Sept-November, 50-50 mix with protein June-August, and then straight protein December-May. I have feeder pens up, definitely worth the $200 investment to save your food for the right animals.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              while we're on this subject and I have a new(first ever) feeder and do not have any fencing around it yet but plan to soon. I want to use the shorter cattle panels but unsure of how big the pen should be? I want to keep the pigs out of the pen but keep them coming around, while allowing deer INTO the pen.
              Get another feeder for outside the pen. If you build the pen small enough where some corn gets thrown outside of it for the pigs then the deer will not want to jump in it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                Get another feeder for outside the pen. If you build the pen small enough where some corn gets thrown outside of it for the pigs then the deer will not want to jump in it.
                yes, have considered that. Sounds good but will not the deer just feed at the ones the hogs would use (no fence)? I kinda new at this feeder thing.

Comment

We corn year around. It definitely makes more deer including bucks call your place "home". Sucks when the rut comes, and they move off, but it is always better to be "home" for bucks, than just hope you catch them rutting from wherever else they call "home".

Comment

we feed 365 days per year.

Comment

I understand protein keeps them healthy, puts on mass and helps them make in the winter but I am on a pretty low budget and just can't afford the extras. I do what I can when I can. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
                        We go real hardcore. No protein, no attractants, & no feeder. Just one 40 pound bag of hand corn every couple weeks
                        This is exactly what I was doing. But I have 40 acres in NE TX and it is a 4.5 hour drive to get to my 40 acres. So I put 2 feeders on it to try and keep corn on the property and to try to hold the deer.

Comment

Yes. I keep both my big corn feeders going year around. I feed the same in the summer as I do during deer season.

Comment

Yup, just to keep them coming around. We turn them way down though.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                              This is exactly what I was doing. But I have 40 acres in NE TX and it is a 4.5 hour drive to get to my 40 acres. So I put 2 feeders on it to try and keep corn on the property and to try to hold the deer.
                              Right. We started out doing feeders year around at our last place, but we had a ton of pigs and we figured not having feeders going all the time would help with keeping them off our place. It didn't seem to hurt the deer hunting. We bought a new place earlier this year and are not planning on putting up a feeder. We've only seen a few pigs on the trail camera and we don't want to encourage them. I would rather potentially not see as many deer but not have the pigs. Doing hand corn every now and then seems to keep the does around, and I would think a shooter buck would prefer to not be around a bunch of pigs. Just my "theory" anyways...
                              Last edited by JMKro; 10-31-2018, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I feed all year to keep them around. I feed both protein and corn. Seems to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X