No announcement yet.

Stands on Public Lands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a popup blind and have a Mystery Ranch pop-up pack. Everything I have can be strapped to my back (bow, chair, blind, pack) and I will walk in. If it is legal to pedal in, I will load everything on my bike and pedal to my spots.

Comment

I went on a public hunt this morning and used a climber. I carried it in and I hated every second of it

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        Many people do not follow the rules. I find stands all the time that have been there all season, some for multiple years.

I haul mine in on a game cart usually on a Friday hunt. Chain it to the tree overnight, and haul it out after a Saturday evening hunt.

There’s an old box blind in the middle of the Davy Crockett someone set up and left out there years ago. Thought it was pretty funny when I first saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most that i know keep theirs out there for the season.

Comment

I’ve been wondering how much people like lock on stands as opposed to climbers - anyone have experience with both? Which had more foot room? I’m a big guy with sz15 feet and I still get pretty leery drawing my bow and aiming under 20 yards from 25’ up

Comment

Yeah, I've hunted places the rule is your not allowed to leave the stand up at all. However, If I plan on being in the stand the next morning, I'll take my chances and leave it up overnight. I've had great success on public but it can be very frustrating to haul it in and set up each time. Extra time, extra weight, lots more sweating, lots more noise, etc. I believe that's why on many occasions my best hunt at a spot is the first time I set it. I'll also expend some extra energy to go in early and set up if conditions are conducive, to make for a potentially more successful hunt. For instance, the day before I plan on hunting (and my schedule allowing), if there is high wind or rain, I'll ease in during those times midday and place my set and sneak out. That way its less intrusive the following morning. It's a PIA but makes it more rewarding I suppose. Especially when all I grew up hunting was private land, and able to tweak my setups to near perfection.

Comment

Not all public lands are the same. How long a stand is left out depends on the type of public lands, where, and who manages it. There are 4 basic types in Texas, for the most part. But actually more land than that by other Gov entities also. And even if one entity allows for the "day of the hunt only" stand placement, the same entity may allow for a season on another property pending it's rules for that property. That is why it's always best to check at the beginning of each season to see if there have been any changes from the previous year.

I've hunted public lands most of my adult life (30+ years) cause I could not afford a lease.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texas grown View Post
                  not all public lands are the same. How long a stand is left out depends on the type of public lands, where, and who manages it. There are 4 basic types in texas, for the most part. But actually more land than that by other gov entities also. And even if one entity allows for the "day of the hunt only" stand placement, the same entity may allow for a season on another property pending it's rules for that property. That is why it's always best to check at the beginning of each season to see if there have been any changes from the previous year.

i've hunted public lands most of my adult life (30+ years) cause i could not afford a lease.
                  tg- 30?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    tg- 30?

30+. In other words, more than 30 years on public lands.

Edit: Think this will make my 34th or 35th year on public lands, if I get to get out. But have hunted a lot longer than that. Just didn't have to pay for the private lands I've hunted (and some I lived on) before that.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-25-2018, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post
                      Never really hunted public land except for turkey hunting. And don’t worry, not planning on it any time soon...

But I follow these threads because I have tremendous respect for those who get it done on public land.

However, one question has always stuck in my head:

Do most people really abide by the rule of stands only being allowed to remain for 72 hours?
                      Do y’all really install and uninstall a tree stand every hunting trip you take? I know some people hike miles back in there to get to their secret spot, and that seems like a lot of work to be done for every hunting trip you take during a season. Hauling a stand mile(s) each way and putting it up only to take it down in 3 days. And doing that multiple times per season?

I don’t hunt public, but intend to at some point just to change up the scenery.

However, I do have a mobile set-up (lone wolf assault 2 and 4 lone wolf climbing sticks) that I just picked up and plan to start being more mobile around the farm and another property I hunt.

Just for grins, I decided to practice in the backyard this past weekend and my first time up was 13 minutes. Never came back to the ground once I went up and was ready to hunt in that amount of time. Take down time was quicker. All in the stand and sticks are 21lbs plus a fanny pack with less than 10lbs worth of gear. I’m confident I could go a long ways with that set up and go up and down as often as I’d like, up any tree I’d like without any issues.

I’ve had a climber for quite a while, but tired of being limited to tree selection.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                        I’ve been wondering how much people like lock on stands as opposed to climbers - anyone have experience with both? Which had more foot room? I’m a big guy with sz15 feet and I still get pretty leery drawing my bow and aiming under 20 yards from 25’ up
                        Highway, I've hunted with both loc- on's and climbers and my personal favorite is a Summit climber. That's pretty much what I use now all the time. I hunt the Sam and there are a lot of climbable trees there.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                          Highway, I've hunted with both loc- on's and climbers and my personal favorite is a Summit climber. That's pretty much what I use now all the time. I hunt the Sam and there are a lot of climbable trees there.

I’m using a summit climber right now in the DCNF. It’s nice to throw on the tree and go up but the platform is fairly small and the bar around the side makes it feel too compact for me. I hunt around a lot of oak trees and can climb most of them, but it is annoying seeing a branch with a 2” diameter and having to pick another tree lol

Comment

I prefer the lock on. The I feel clumsy in a climber.

Comment

My Summit Viper SD has tons of room. Especially when I stand up and slide the seat against the tree. The rail around the top section to me is a good thing. It gives me something to lean back against. Feeling secure 15-20 feet up is a nice feeling to have.

Comment

If your a white tail deer archer then this is the most inportant video to watch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X