Stop it Froggy!!! No deer at LBJ

I’m a member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any confirmed LBJ bucks killed yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        For all of you on FB check out the LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunters page. How many are already members?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624/
        I am

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
          I am
          ditto

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Yep. But it was in 1997. I killed the last one in 2006. Haven't seen a deer on the place since. Guess they got shot out. So everbody might as well save your gas money and stay home.

Comment

1 button, 1 doe, 2 pigs that I know of

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Yep. But it was in 1997. I killed the last one in 2006. Haven't seen a deer on the place since. Guess they got shot out. So everbody might as well save your gas money and stay home.

Perfect response.

I just wish there were deer out there.

Comment

Perfect response.

I just wish there were deer out there.

There used to be. I got proof.

But like I said, they've all been shot out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                    There used to be. I got proof.

But like I said, they've all been shot out now.
                    Y'all are making this pathetic hunter feel even worse. I've been out there probably 10-12 times in the last 4 years and have only seen a doe crossing the road on my way home.

Comment

Originally posted by agwrestler View Post
                      Y'all are making this pathetic hunter feel even worse. I've been out there probably 10-12 times in the last 4 years and have only seen a doe crossing the road on my way home.
                      Don't feel bad... not only is public land hunting hard, but it is exceptionally hard with the amount of pressure LBJ sees and how low our deer densities are.

I would say it is best to spend at least 3-4 hours scouting for every hour you intend to spend in the stand. I like to spend even more time scouting than that. If I hit a property I have never been on during the season, I may spend a full day or two scouting it before I decide to throw a sit at something. Otherwise, I will spend 2-3 FULL days in post season scouting per 300-400 acres of areas of interest, and I will toss in a 4-5 hour speed scout mid-summer to verify what I found in February and March. Often times, after all that, I end up skipping the area altogether due to lack of sign. Having scouted so intensively for 4 or 5 years, I am getting more of a gut feeling for properties and learning what areas to not even worry about checking.

It is kind of like fishing... 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.

Comment

It is kind of like fishing... 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.
                        ^^^This. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of us don't see deer most sits? I get one or two decent opportunities a season if I'm lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetDown View Post
                          ^^^This. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of us don't see deer most sits? I get one or two decent opportunities a season if I'm lucky.

Opportunities at good bucks or talking about any deer ?

Comment

Very good explanation. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                              Opportunities at good bucks or talking about any deer ?

For me I meant shot opportunities at a legal deer (e.g., doe, spike, or 13"+). I'd say on average I see a deer maybe 1 out of every 4 sits. From your posts though I can tell you have a way better compass for finding deer than me

Comment

I have had opportunities at a legal deer about 70% of my sits, but that includes Texas and Oklahoma public. Probably a bit lower percentages on LBJ than my overall.

Comment

Working...
                                X