No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep reading that people who have done this before use aluminum tripods, but I can't seem to find an actual aluminum one anywhere on the market.

So who makes them and where do you get them?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
      I know we cannot bait, and cannot install trail cams. Can we use scent attractants? Or cover scents?
      Yes.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by treestandjunky View Post
        I keep reading that people who have done this before use aluminum tripods, but I can't seem to find an actual aluminum one anywhere on the market.

I have the Millenium T-100 and it's a fine tripod. I've used it in LANWR as well as other places. Easy to transport over the shoulder, sets up quick and quiet. There are 4' leg extensions available if you wanted to get up higher somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by treestandjunky View Post

There are people who sell them on facebook market place. Look them up in RGV Market Place in face book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.

Comment

If they are similar to an elk's size, I had a 105 and 125 yeti that it fit into. The hams barely fit lengthwise. I was in CO so I had to have the proof of sex naturally attached. I was scared if I removed the bone that I would cut something that I wasn't supposed to. I would say that if you removed all the bones that you could get close with one ice chest and ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                how big or how many ice chest do you need for a medium size bull or cow? I have 2 coleman 120's I was gonna bring.
                If you are not going to de-bone, then 2 120s should be enough for a medium size bull. If you kill a mature bull it will be a tight fit on two ice chests in my opinion. A mature bull is just about as big as a mature Elk.

Comment

I think I’ll try to find somebody to help me haul it out and give half of it away. Do that and it should fit easily with ice. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                    I think I’ll try to find somebody to help me haul it out and give half of it away. Do that and it should fit easily with ice. Just a thought.

That will work too! Give me a ring, I live 10 minutes from the refuge. LOL.

Comment

Is there any driving access into section 3 or is it just a long hike?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
                        Is there any driving access into section 3 or is it just a long hike?
                        No driving, long hike or bike ride.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                          If you are not going to de-bone, then 2 120s should be enough for a medium size bull. If you kill a mature bull it will be a tight fit on two ice chests in my opinion. A mature bull is just about as big as a mature Elk.

well...if I am fortunate enough to bring down a mature bull...I will gladly go buy an additional ice chest. Really hoping to have one walk into range oblivious to my location.

Comment

well...if I am fortunate enough to bring down a mature bull...I will gladly go buy an additional ice chest. Really hoping to have one walk into range oblivious to my location.
                            Well best of luck to you. I remember the first time I killed a nilgai bull with my bow. I was so excited, I looked at it and assumed since it was not a mature bull I could drag it...NOT. I could not even drag it three feet even after I gutted it. I had to quarter it up and the hind quarters were so heavy I had to take one hind quarter at a time. Luckily I was only about a half mile from the road.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                              Pictures of two bucks from last years hunt (found on old thread) hoping I can find something like these myself. Think I’d like to take one of these a little more than a nilgai [ATTACH]923219[/ATTACH][ATTACH]923220[/ATTACH]

Amen to that, I'm thinking White tail first on this hunt. As hard as it sounds, I'd like to pack out some meat for the work put in. I've been shooting at 50 yards as standard practice, haven't found space to get out past that yet. Going to have to set my pins up different for this hunt to get those ranges.
                              As for vitals, I saw a video on YT that showed a shot placement where you'd normally stick one and blew through the heart. I've read just behind the shoulder is ideal so a quartering away angle is best.

I'm out there for the 12/7 hunt also.

Comment

I'm going to throw this offer out there...should anyone here get a Nilgai on the ground and track it down, I will help pack that sucker out. I'm hunting the 12/7 draw.

I'm new here, so PM me if you're interested in exchanging information. Being a small part of a successful harvest is a rewarding memory for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X