Drawn for Elephant Mountain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawn for Elephant Mountain

After many years of putting in i was drawn for Elephant Mountain October 15-18th.

I am planning on camping onsite, does anyone know do they have showers and bathrooms onsite or is it just a spot of ground?

Also any advice on being the most productive with my hunting time there will be greatly appreciated

No showers, they do have water you can get there. Don’t know if you can drink it.
    As far as advice. Get to a higher glassing spot where you can see a good amount of property. Find a deer and go stalk it. They will bed down pretty quick in the morning. Depending on which unit you get, driving and glassing could work but getting higher will let you see better. Don’t be afraid to be pretty aggressive on you stalking. It’s such a short hunt, there really is not enough time to sit back and wait. It’s a fun hunt with some pretty nice deer.

Comment

Originally posted by fisher__man View Post
      No showers, they do have water you can get there. Don’t know if you can drink it.
      As far as advice. Get to a higher glassing spot where you can see a good amount of property. Find a deer and go stalk it. They will bed down pretty quick in the morning. Depending on which unit you get, driving and glassing could work but getting higher will let you see better. Don’t be afraid to be pretty aggressive on you stalking. It’s such a short hunt, there really is not enough time to sit back and wait. It’s a fun hunt with some pretty nice deer.
      X2
      I’ve been out there quite a bit chasing javelina. There are many deer on this WMA, whitetail and mule deer both. I’ve even seen some pretty good whitetail while out there. You shouldn’t have a problem finding deer, just keep looking until you find a good one.

Comment

Thanks fisher, do they have toilets or and a sink?

Puncher, I'm not afraid to shoot a javelina if i see one. Shot one a few years ago, and i found it to be quite tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
          Thanks fisher, do they have toilets or and a sink?

Puncher, I'm not afraid to shoot a javelina if i see one. Shot one a few years ago, and i found it to be quite tasty.
          They have a composting toilet. No sink. They do have a walk in cooler and water to wash off animals though. Just bring in your drinking water.

Comment

I think the spot and stalk is best, but they also have several concrete water troughs scattered on the wma. I had muley does come to othe one I sat on but could only shot bucks when we hunted there.

I liked the area behind the mountain; east side I believe. It had a brushy draw running through it and the deer used it alot. They would not let us go up the slope of the mountain because of the bighorn sheep program when we were there. Saw several nice muley bucks just could not close the deal on spot and stalk.

We saw more whitetails behind the camp ground along the river by the old orchard.

I have put in to go back every year. Congrats beautiful country. We also had to go through a border patrol check point on the fm road out of Alpine to get to the wma.

Comment

Thanks Killer for the info.

I am also checking out staying in alpine over camping....but i think moneywise i'm going to end up in my tent

Comment

I also got drawn for this hunt after quite a few years of applying. I’m stoked. I was thinking I would bring a tent and camp, but after reading this I may bring the motor home or get a motel room in Alpine. I have to be able to shower every once in a while. I’ve never bow hunted mulies and am excited at having this opportunity.

Comment

My nephew was drawn on a youth hunt there about 8 years ago. We stayed in Alpine. Hunted the East side, they also restricted us from going to top of mountain due to the bighorn sheep. They told us we could go up 2/3 of the way. Great hunt, lots of deer. Good luck & congrats on drawing the tag!

Comment

Thanks Killer for the info.

I am also checking out staying in alpine over camping....but i think moneywise i'm going to end up in my tent
                    The camp area is comfortable. There is a covered table and flat/smooth tent site area. Besides, to me its part of the whole experience. And, I don't want to drive 45 minutes each way into town. See enough "town" 360 days a year.
                    A kettle on the Coleman Stove = hot shower.
                    Water is available at the office area (5 minutes away).
                    Can't wait to get back there.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                      The camp area is comfortable. There is a covered table and flat/smooth tent site area. Besides, to me its part of the whole experience. And, I don't want to drive 45 minutes each way into town. See enough "town" 360 days a year.
                      A kettle on the Coleman Stove = hot shower.
                      Water is available at the office area (5 minutes away).
                      Can't wait to get back there.
                      Pictures really help with visualizing the camp area. Great looking buck too

Comment

Man thats such a cool area. Good luck. If you're wantig showers just to get rid of stink, one thing you can do to camp and deal with that is vring rubbing alcohol or other bacteria killing subtance ( cant remember the medical stuff that starts with a b) and some baking soda. Wash down with with the rubbing alcohol to kill bacteria that makes your scent, then some baking powder for help killing that bacteria. Nothing magical but helps keep clean while trying to camp on light supplies.

Comment

The slopes can be very steep, with lots of loose rocks. Use caution!

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                            The slopes can be very steep, with lots of loose rocks. Use caution!
                            I've been thinking a lot about my footwear, I've read some other posts about rattlesnakes being prevalent, but my snake boots are far from my best climbing boots.....
                            Last edited by Italianxbowuser; 08-29-2018, 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've been thinking a lot about my footwear, I've read some other posts about rattlesnakes being prevalent, but my snake boots are far from my best climbing boots.....

When we hunted near Alpine last year, our guide wore Chippewa snake boots, and he slid around a lot. As mentioned, it's very steep iandthe ground is covered with marble size rocks. I bought a pair of un insulated Danner Pronghorns, and I had much better footing. I love the boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X