Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    So the only access road is the one on 106?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only one entrance as of the last hunt, not a big deal though. Its pretty easy to navigate

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
      Only one entrance as of the last hunt, not a big deal though. Its pretty easy to navigate

Gotcha. I’ve been mapping the place out on my OnX map and just wanted to make sure. That’s the road everyone has to park on? I might have to hit the pawn shops for a cheap bike after all[emoji23]

Comment

Gotcha. I’ve been mapping the place out on my OnX map and just wanted to make sure. That’s the road everyone has to park on? I might have to hit the pawn shops for a cheap bike after all[emoji23]

There's a few split offs from the main road through the different units. The parking situation is pretty easy. The main thing is be prepared to walk past all the lazy suckas plopped 100 yards from the road! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          There's a few split offs from the main road through the different units. The parking situation is pretty easy. The main thing is be prepared to walk past all the lazy suckas plopped 100 yards from the road! lol

Yeah that’s not a problem I just didn’t know if I needed to plan to walk 12 Miles round trip everyday [emoji51]

Comment

Yeah that’s not a problem I just didn’t know if I needed to plan to walk 12 Miles round trip everyday [emoji51]

Don't worry, I'll be walking as well. I decided not to deal with any flats and being stuck carrying a bike out of there.

Comment

I went to the refuge a few weeks ago. Once you turn off 106, it like dodging land mines err I mean pot hole...biguns and a bad road in general. Wonder if that is gonna be repaved anytime soon? Did see a big bull and a cow.

Comment

In for Archery Deer !
                Nov 30, 2018 – Dec 04, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                  In for Archery Deer !
                  Nov 30, 2018 – Dec 04, 2018
                  Us 2. Me and (Sneaky)

Comment

I’ve been to LANWR before but this is my first time to actually get drawn. This is also my first year getting into bow hunting. Really pumped for both! During the hunt do they open the gate on the main road that runs down along unit 8 and 5? Or do you have to park in one of the two designated parking areas and hike or bike in?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
                      I’ve been to LANWR before but this is my first time to actually get drawn. This is also my first year getting into bow hunting. Really pumped for both! During the hunt do they open the gate on the main road that runs down along unit 8 and 5? Or do you have to park in one of the two designated parking areas and hike or bike in?
                      Open

Comment

You can save your miles for the actual hunting but don't be afraid to put em in!

Comment

We got drawn for 12/7-11 this year. Hunted the first archery hunt last year and it was HOT!!! We walked in and out. Hauled in a 6’ quad pod the first day and hauled it out the last day. It was a bit heavy but it was nice to hunt out of (didn’t move around much).
                          I got a shot at a cow the last evening and blew it. I shot a little under her. Hoping to get some redemption this year.
                          The worst part of these type hunts for me are the people who can mess up your hunt without knowing it (or caring). We were hunting trails back in the brush near the corner of a big field. Some guy set up his pop-up in the wide open (on the road) at that field corner. Needless to say the nilgai could see it hundreds of yards away from across the field and would turn and go the other way. He finally moved it on day three a short ways into the brush but did nothing to conceal it. The nilgai reacted the same. We just chalked it up to public land hunting and tried to adapt.

Comment

Are the hunt areas that have trails in them open to hiking/biking daily ... before the hunts begin? I know I could call and ask the refuge folks, but figured I'd get good info from the green screen.

Comment

Heads up:

I just spoke with the park manager at Laguna. The orientation time is probably going to change. 9am isn’t working out well with the facility. They are trying for 3pm, but have not received verification yet. They will notify us when they once they verify a time.
                              He also said that if I wasn’t able to make it to the first orientation time, I could still hunt. There could be a delay in starting, since I would need to view somethings/orientation. So, it sounds like plans still pending, but they are willing to work with us.

Comment

I got drawn for 11/16-20. It'll be my third hunt out there. Been once with my bow in 2016 and again last April with my gun on the "emergency" rifle hunt. I've killed two bulls, both reeeeaaaaally far from the main road. Got lucky this spring and staff came to pick me up, the federal game wardens weren't too happy with me killing a nilgai so far back but I like getting away from the crowd. Wasn't so lucky on the archery hunt, didn't get it to the check in station until 11:00 pm, seven hours after I shot it. When I was drawn for the archery hunt it didn't seem like there were 250 people there. You can get away from the crowds by putting on a little work. Bike with good tires definitely makes life easier. Killing nilgai with a bow isn't easy, only a handful of bulls killed when I was there and a few cows. They're incredibly spooky animals and if you see them they're usually running. Even if you shoot one they're tough animals and may not got down for a while, if at all. Fun hunt though. Congrats huntindad on getting drawn, I think you sent me a few pm's this spring about the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X