Dream to Reality: The One Sixty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da' Hitman View Post
    This is super awesome! Congrats on your new land and on a great job of clearing and setting kill zones. I also like the name "One Sixty". In for the progress and success
    Thanks Hitman! Hoping to be able to share a lot more pictures.

Comment

Had a great day yesterday at the One Sixty! Cody and me were able to get the platforms setup. Hoping to have the box stands up in a couple of weeks. Also finally got to meet Darton in person. We got to hang out and grab lunch. Glad we finally got to meet Darton!
      Attached Files

Comment

Those platforms are nice! I need to get a couple like that made.

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
          Had a great day yesterday at the One Sixty! Cody and me were able to get the platforms setup. Hoping to have the box stands up in a couple of weeks. Also finally got to meet Darton in person. We got to hang out and grab lunch. Glad we finally got to meet Darton!
          It was great to meet both of you boys as well! Looking forward to all of the projects and field reports

Comment

It was very good meeting you yesterday Darton! Thanks for showing us a little bit of the area. We had been in the leasing game since the late 90s. Got so frustrated about it in 2007 that we laid off and hunted locally and Kansas for about 10 years and then got back on a lease. For one reason or another, Bryan and I made the decision to begin looking North. We gave ourselves a 2.5 hour max drive, which put us at the top of McAlester. Between the two of us, we made a dozen trips in about 3 months times looking at different properties. He made a mad dash up to see the One Sixty before it hit the market, in torrential rains, but knew upon arrival that he had found home away from home. The land could not be any better laid out, the trails and roads throughout were a bonus, and 95% of the place is hickory, oak, cedar, and a few pines scattered throughout. A half to three quarter acre pond with a smaller more secluded one in the back corner. Located just south of the South Canadian River with literally thousands of contiguous acres of timber in every direction. The house is second to none for a hunting property. The previous owners literally left everything. Nothing had to be brought, all the way down to towels and soap. It was like walking into a fully furnished air b n b, but realizing it all belongs to you. To make it even better, is a fully covered loafing shed, carport, barn, with a small concrete floor shop on one side. Deer tracks already littered the property but we are already seeing an increase all around with sightings increasing as well, as we are the only ones for miles feeding the way we are. We have set up corn feeders, protein feeders, salt/mineral blocks and granular mineral sight stations that are high in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Every trip out there is better than the last. It is amazing to come in from working and to take a hot shower in a real tub. We have been driving west for years, chasing deer 6-7 hours away. We put in too much hard work and feed like no one else does, and now, we call the shots, and make all the decisions. No lease managers, no middle men, no absentee landowners calling the shots, giving their two cents on how the property needs to be run. I thank Bryan for allowing me to tag along on this new chapter of our hunting careers. We started bowhunting at 11 and 12 years old and are both now 40. God has blessed us immeasurably. I am glad that we made the decision to look into buying a property instead of looking for the next lease.
            Last edited by Split_Brow; 07-02-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Relaxing under the shed, watching it rain.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Split_Brow View Post
                It was very good meeting you yesterday Darton! Thanks for showing us a little bit of the area. We had been in the leasing game since the late 90s. Got so frustrated about it in 2007 that we laid off and hunted locally and Kansas for about 10 years and then got back on a lease. For one reason or another, Bryan and I made the decision to begin looking North. We gave ourselves a 2.5 hour max drive, which put us at the top of McAlester. Between the two of us, we made a dozen trips in about 3 months times looking at different properties. He made a mad dash up to see the One Sixty before it hit the market, in torrential rains, but knew upon arrival that he had found home away from home. The land could not be any better laid out, the trails and roads throughout were a bonus, and 95% of the place is hickory, oak, cedar, and a few pines scattered throughout. A half to three quarter acre pond with a smaller more secluded one in the back corner. Located just south of the South Canadian River with literally thousands of contiguous acres of timber in every direction. The house is second to none for a hunting property. The previous owners literally left everything. Nothing had to be brought, all the way down to towels and soap. It was like walking into a fully furnished air b n b, but realizing it all belongs to you. To make it even better, is a fully covered loafing shed, carport, barn, with a small concrete floor shop on one side. Deer tracks already littered the property but we are already seeing an increase all around with sightings increasing as well, as we are the only ones for miles feeding the way we are. We have set up corn feeders, protein feeders, salt/mineral blocks and granular mineral sight stations that are high in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Every trip out there is better than the last. It is amazing to come in from working and to take a hot shower in a real tub. We have been driving west for years, chasing deer 6-7 hours away. We put in too much hard work and feed like no one else does, and now, we call the shots, and make all the decisions. No lease managers, no middle men, no absentee landowners calling the shots, giving their two cents on how the property needs to be run. I thank Bryan for allowing me to tag along on this new chapter of our hunting careers. We started bowhunting at 11 and 12 years old and are both now 40. God has blessed us immeasurably. I am glad that we made the decision to look into buying a property instead of looking for the next lease.
                Likewise bud! I have read a lot of posts during my time, but I think you are the Blue Ribbon winner when it comes to illustrating the feeling of frustration when leasing to the liberating feeling of owning Well put sir! Well put!

Comment

Pics of last trip. Pushing rock was a new thing for this CAT.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations, looking forward to seeing more pics!

Comment

Well made it up to the 160 today to watch the Seismic crew start on a new road. The road is connecting two other roads. Basically the road system now makes a triangle. Hoping to hang a stand or two along the new road.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                        Well made it up to the 160 today to watch the Seismic crew start on a new road. The road is connecting two other roads. Basically the road system now makes a triangle. Hoping to hang a stand or two along the new road.

Now that is looking great!

I wish I’d known. I would have asked you to take a video of those mulching beasts in action! Looks like they plow through timber like a fat kid at an all you can eat taco bar.

Should be one heck of a first year!

Comment

That sir just opened up a lot of new opportunity for both access and stands! Love the choice on the road!

Comment

Enjoy brother!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
                              Now that is looking great!

I wish I’d known. I would have asked you to take a video of those mulching beasts in action! Looks like they plow through timber like a fat kid at an all you can eat taco bar.

Should be one heck of a first year!
                              Thanks I was very happy with it! I'll send you some video of it tomorrow when I have good service. It's amazing how much those machines can mulch. They had two of them and they cleared a little over 500yds X 20' wide in 1.5hrs. Amazing how much they can get done!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                                That sir just opened up a lot of new opportunity for both access and stands! Love the choice on the road!
                                Thanks, really excited about having a few new spots to hunt along the new road. Might even plant a spot along the road as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X