No announcement yet.

Serious accident while hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst accident that actually did happen when I was about 14. I had shot a javelina and was in the process of gutting the thing. The knife I had was extremely sharp. The knife was slicing through the javelina like a razor cutting paper. But then I went to cut between it's back legs, I pulled the hide away from the animal and tried to gently slice through the hide, but the knife was not cutting. I finally just whipped the knife, just used my wrist, to flick the knife. In an attempt to cut the hide. Well the knife went through the hide easily. I then saw there was a thin piece of cartilage, that I had pulled up with the hide, so I was trying to cut through the cartilage and the hide at the same time.

Well when I flicked the knife and it easily cut through the hide and cartilage, I felt a thump on the inside of my left leg. The guy who was standing there watching me, got this look on his face, like that's not good. My response was, yes, that could have been bad. He said no it is bad, I thought what is he talking about. I looked down and at first saw a hole in my jeans, then realized there was a deep hole in my leg. As I was looking down in the deep hole in my leg, it suddenly filled up with blood and overflowed all over the place. There was quickly blood all over my jeans and the ground. I tried to get up, but I quickly found I had cut a muscle in the front of my leg. Trying to stand up hurt like hell. I stood up, then limped around bleeding all over the place. David, said I needed to go to the hospital, but I did not want to go. He later made a comment about being a vet, he doctored up all of the FFA animals for the kids in his daughter's school. He said he stitched up sheep and hogs all the time. So I asked him to stitch up my leg, he looked at it again and said no. That I needed to go to the hospital.

We were south of Falfurrias, it was over 100 degrees that day. We went back to camp, looked for first aid supplies and then David found about three heavy blankets. I was not paying any attention to him at the time. As we were walking to the truck, everything went black, I tried to yell out, that I could not see. But nothing came out, then I could feel myself falling face forwards, towards the ground. I never felt myself hit the ground.

A while later, I realized I was in my truck, when they started the truck, the air blowing out of the vents, had to have been extremely hot, because it was a black truck that had been in the sun most of the day and it was over 100 degrees that day. But the air felt like I was up in the artic and the air was something like -40 and a 50 mph wind blowing.
    Basically very hot air, felt extremely cold. So they shut off the A/C, David started wrapping me up in the heavy blankets he brought from the camp house. Even with three heavy blankets on me, in a black truck in 100 plus degree heat, I was so cold, I was shaking and my teeth were chattering to the point, I was sure my teeth were going to be chipped up or broken, if I survived. I tried to stop shivering and chattering my teeth, but it was way beyond my control.

I lost consciousness again, until a good while later, when we got to the hospital. As we pulled into the hospital parking lot, I could hear liquid sloshing around on the floor of the truck. My thought was, I am going to have a nasty mess to clean up, someone kicked over my 44 oz. Dr. Pepper. When we stopped in the parking lot and opened the right side door, I could hear liquid pouring out on the ground. Again, my thought was, there sure is a lot of soda on the floor of the truck, it's going to be one serious mess to clean up later.

We got into the ER, the took me to a operating room, put me on a table. The doctor asked what happened, I told him. He said, you are lucky you did not cut the artery in your leg, you would not be here, you would be dead. I told him, I think I did cut the artery, he said that was not possible. Then the doctor gave me multiple locals around the wound. Then started digging his finger around in the wound. That was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling. A very dull pain, just very uncomfortable. Eventually he decided he had all of the clotted blood out of the wound. Then stitched up the muscle and then closed the wound up. Then the blood started flowing again. He kept trying to wipe it up, but it kept flowing. So he cut all of the stitches and went back in. Cut the stitches inside, looked around again, added some more stitches to the muscle, then restitched the outside again. Again, the blood started flowing. So he went back in my leg a third time. Cut the stitches down inside my leg, the mopped up some more blood, started digging around, kept looking and eventually his eyes got very big. When I saw that, I said. I told you I cut the artery, I don't think it's cut all the way through, but it's cut. He gave me a look like you are lucky to be alive. He did not say anything, just went to work stitching up the artery, then the muscle and then stitched up the skin again. That time the blood finally stopped flowing.

When I finally got up to leave, the whole operating room floor was covered with bloody foot prints. I had bled all over the floor and they had been walking around in it. My step father had to leave, I figured out why he left the room at that point.

Later we went back out to the truck, when we got there, I saw the puddle on the ground and realized it was a puddle of blood. Then opened the door and the floor of the truck, had a pool of blood about 1/2" deep. That was scary, seeing the ground and the floor of the truck, after seeing the operating room floor. The only reason I survived, was David knew enough to keep me alive. He knew I was probably going to go into shock and brought those heavy blankets. I would have thought there is no way, we were going to need three heavy blankets in 100 degree weather. I got a first hand experience of what going into shock is really like and what loosing a lot of blood is like. You get very cold, it's very scary, once you realize why you are so cold.

Had it only been my step father and me, I would have died, there is not much questioning that. What David did, saved my life. What seemed very minor at first, was a long ways from minor. The next two days, I felt like someone had beat me from head to toe with a baseball bat. I ached all over, like I was bruised all over, but I had no bruises or other injuries, other than the knife wound.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 12-09-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

^

Comment

I got a call one afternoon shortly after school (high school) from a good friend of mine. He said, “Hey man, you know where my stand is over off Moore Farm Rd?” I knew where it was, it was a pretty good hike back in the Angelina National Forest too. “I need you to come get me. I’m at the base of my tree waiting.” He was totally calm and not in any sort of panic. I said, “Did you get one? Do I need to bring the game cart or anything?” He said, “No but you need to hurry. If you don’t I might bleed out. Bring some parachute chord.” It’s a 20 min drive from my house and close to that walking in to his stand. I got there as fast as I could. When I got there blood was EVERYWHERE! He had drawn on a doe that was almost directly under him and neither of us are sure exactly what happened, but he tried to shoot her sitting down and the string cut him literally to the femur bone! We doubled up the parachute chord and cut off the blood supply best we could and started the hobbling hike out. He was 16 or 17 and I was 17 or 18 and I have no idea how he or we stayed calm enough to handle the situation. Once we got to the road there was no cell signal until we got to Huntington. We called 911 and told them we were in route. I forget exactly how many stitches it took to close him up but it was over 100. He lost a ton of blood, changed colors several times on the way to the hospital, and was VERY VERY lucky to survive!

Comment

^so the broadhead knocked his thigh when he shot?

Comment

I’ve been fortunate and haven’t had any accidents that resulted in injuries.

Had a couple close calls though. I started bow hunting in 06, was climbing up a white oak with my old Summit. When I hit about the 20’ mark the platform (which wasn’t tethered to the upper) slipped off my feet. Luckily it only fell about 2’ and I was able to lower myself down and pull it up and continue my climb.

Second close call....took my son out one morning with his .257 Roberts. We were easing back toward the truck, my son walking behind me when his gun went off. Scared the shiznit out of me. After I realized what just transpired I got wobbly kneed and had to sit down. My son was in total shock as well. Not sure if he was messing with the safety and the trigger or the safety somehow got switched off and he hit the trigger. Stupid move on my part having him walk behind me with a loaded gun but thankful he did listen to me about making sure the gun is always pointed away from people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
              This isn’t a hunting injury but a fishing injury.

When I was 16 or so I was wade fishing (wet wading in shorts) and was walking across an exposed oyster reef. I stepped on what I thought was a mound but quickly found out that it was completely hollow underneath. The second I put weight in my right leg, my leg dropped about three feet into a hole. On the way down, the oysters cut a baseball-sized hole out of my upper leg. I had to wade about 200 yards back to the boat, as my leg was gushing blood. I yelled out to my dad (who was wading about 100 yards on the other side of the boat) that I cut myself pretty bad and was bleeding all over the boat. His response, “There are some towels under the leaning post. I’m in some fish and will head that way here in a bit.”

After some heavy cleaning at the ER, and 30 stitches, all was repaired.

Geez ... your dad sounds like a real arse!!! Lol!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxRealtorJJ View Post
                Geez ... your dad sounds like a real arse!!! Lol!!

Haha!! Hey Dad! Accurate recollection of events, or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
                  Haha!! Hey Dad! Accurate recollection of events, or no?

Accurate except you failed to mention the fish I was in were really nice fish!

Comment

Originally posted by TxRealtorJJ View Post
                    Accurate except you failed to mention the fish I was in were really nice fish!

Comment

Quail hunting. Shot a bird had the lab ra n through me and I ended up in a sprinters stretch on my back. Cost me 1 knee surgery and the other one will be soon.

Comment

Some of these are crazy

Comment

Got thoroughly smashed by a perturbed bull after retrieving the dog that had been pestering it. This bay dog had not been trash broke yet. Broke two ribs, lots of bruising and a LONG walk back to the truck. Had it not been muddy, I doubt I would have survived it.

Comment

I got shot in the hand with a bow while spot lighting pigs.

Comment

Last year while elk hunting. A guy at the same place took a roll down the mountain. Tore his ACL, broke his femur and his ankle. They got a helicopter within 80 yards of him thankfully. It could have been way worse.

Comment

I was a teenager in Michigan and spent one really cold night in the woods. I was bow hunting on a cold rainy day near the end of October. I shot a small buck and hit it a bit back. I started tracking it and jumped it three times. Not knowing any better I kept following it. It would go a few hundred yards and bed. Finally the last time I came up on it I was able to jump on it before it t got up and finished it with my knife. In all the excitement I had lost my bearings and had no clue where I was at in the middle of a giant national forest. So after gutting the deer I decided to walk towards what I thought was a road a few miles from my blind. I could hear an occasional car on the highway I thought. Long story short I was headed the opposite direction dragging a deer through thick cedar swamp. Family and friends came looking for me but I was headed the opposite direction. After a few hours I realized I was no where near where I thought I was and huddled up under a thick cedar to get out of the rain. I was frozen and probably in the verge of hypothermia when the found me shortly after sunrise. Being young and stupid I made some horrible choices that I've since learned from. 1. Let a guy shot deer lay down, 2. Bring some sort of fire starter kit, 3. If you're not sure don't guess on directions. Sit and wait for help, and bring rain gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X