No announcement yet.

May 15, 2010(Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome story!!! I forwarded this to someone who needs it and that I care about very much. Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Year 7 complete. Trucking right along.God is great.. Keeping the past in the rearview, where I can see it, but I'm still heading the opposite direction. I bump this every year, hoping somebody in a similar situation might see it and decide they need help as well.

Comment

never get tired of hearing your testimony

congrats brother and way to inspire others

Comment

Congrats and keep up the fight!

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            May 15,2010 is a day I will never forget. It's the day I realized that my life was in shambles and the only person I could blame was me. My drinking had become a horrible problem and consumed and defined who I was. What started out as drinking with buddies for fun in high school had manifested itself into basically a 20 year binge. I dealt with all my problems, marital, financial, and others by drinking. I always had nice cars, house, good job so I thought there wasn't a problem. Alcoholics were those bums on the street, I thought. Came to find out that couldn't be further from the truth.

It had come to the point that if there was any social event, get together, or function where there wasn't alcohol I didn't want to go. And if I "had" to go, I'd slam some before we went. If I wasn't working or asleep, I was drinking. No one knew the extent of the drinking, I guess because I didn't act drunk. I knew deep down I was an alcoholic, I just pushed it down with alcohol so I didn't have to face it(ironic,huh). I blamed everything on someone or something else, I neglected my fatherly and husbandly duties at times, because getting drunk took priority. In 2007 I got a DWI after I had a wreck, ran off the road and almost hit a 4' diameter tree at 70. That made me stop for about a week. Nearly dying, dwi, and the other troubles weren't enough to stop me. In hindsight that was absolutely insane, but at the time I didn't see it. This addiction will start to strain relationships, friendships, work performance, etc. But I kept blaming everyone else.Got tired of my dad staying on my butt. I'm surprised that some people will even talk to me now. But that person was not me, and they knew that.

May 14, 2010 was a normal day for then. Get off work, grab a 30, and start drinking, the same as I had done for many years. Night went as always, sitting in a lawn chair slamming beer and "thinking". Went to bed about 10. At 4:30 in the morning on May 15, 2010, I woke up, wide awake, with tears running down my face. I don't know why, but I knew at that moment that I had to change. It's almost like God was saying " I'm tired of being nice and trying to guide you on the right path, I'm about to slap you and wake you up". I got up, poured out all alcohol in the house, and then just sat and reflected on what my life had become. Later that morning I checked into rehab. I learned a lot about myself there. I got the counseling that I needed. Went to outpatient for 4 months. I truly think that if I hadn't gone or if I didn't have the family and friends I have, I might not be here, or if I was, it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

I'm only telling this because I know some people have the same issues and I'm here to say that it can be done. In hindsight, I wasn't living at all, I was bound by my addiction. I can honestly say that the last three years have been some of the best of my life. And if my story helps one person, it's worth telling. I promised myself I would try to help anyone who had similar problems if I could. It's very hard to admit a problem, it's probably the hardest step. That and losing people you thought were friends. Your true friends will be there. PERIOD. But if anyone ever needs advice or help, don't hesitate to ask. I thank God every day for my sobriety.. 3 years and counting.
            Mine was also on the 15th only October 15th 2016. Why I didn't stop drinking sooner Ill never know. My story is very similar to yours. Being sober is awesome, I thank God every day for my sobriety.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
              Mine was also on the 15th only October 15th 2016. Why I didn't stop drinking sooner Ill never know. My story is very similar to yours. Being sober is awesome, I thank God every day for my sobriety.
              Amen. Was an eye opener when I realized I spent a 24 hour day drunk, asleep, or hungover.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story every year and congrats on the sobriety.

Comment

Congrats on your "birthday"

Comment

Amen. Was an eye opener when I realized I spent a 24 hour day drunk, asleep, or hungover.
                    It is amazing how much better I feel and all my anxiety has disappeared. I do not miss drinking at all and I thought I would miss it big time. I also thought I could not have any fun without drinking. All my life beer went with everything, hunting, fishing, boating you name it. Boy was I ever wrong. I have more fun now without a beer in my hand. I could go on and on but bottom line is being sober is absolutely awesome. Don't get me wrong, I was not hammered drunk every dam day, but I was pretty much Friday night to Sunday night and any night in between where there was some kind of social gathering I was at. My wakeup call was one day during the week I left the office for lunch and I ordered a beer with my lunch and 3 beers later I was like "Dude you're a drunk bastage if you are drinking during working hours ***" So the next day I enrolled in an out patient rehab deal. Best thing I have ever done.

Comment

Congrats and thanks again for your testimony and sharing this personal experience. Praying for you............. Whoo hoooo

Comment

Congrats once again to everyone who has been affected and beat it.

Comment

Year 7 complete. Trucking right along.God is great.. Keeping the past in the rearview, where I can see it, but I'm still heading the opposite direction. I bump this every year, hoping somebody in a similar situation might see it and decide they need help as well.

Comment

Proud of you bud......

Comment

God is Good!! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X