No announcement yet.

Tell me about your 45-70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a nice 1895G(made in 2000) off a guy recently with a Leopold 3-9 scope. I have only shot the reloads he gave me but I have run out of adjustment on the scope. Adjusted all the way down It hits 7" low at 50 yards and 14" low at 100 yards.

Do I have a scope problem or a reload problem? FWIW it has a reasonably tight group at 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
      I bought a nice 1895G(made in 2000) off a guy recently with a Leopold 3-9 scope. I have only shot the reloads he gave me but I have run out of adjustment on the scope. Adjusted all the way down It hits 7" low at 50 yards and 14" low at 100 yards.

Do I have a scope problem or a reload problem? FWIW it has a reasonably tight group at 100 yards.

Are they powder puff loads or pretty stout? Surprised they would hit that low

Comment

I think scope. Pull it off and try it with irons and see what happens

Comment

Enjoying this thread

Comment

Tbar some of the 1895's had an issue with the action being threaded so that the barrel droops (points down) slightly. There are several posts on the Marlin Owners Forum about this. The open sights should work just fine as they are barrel mounted. A peep sight should also work or even a scout scope set up barrel mounted. If I remember Marlin (Remington)wasn't really doing much to repair them.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              Tbar some of the 1895's had an issue with the action being threaded so that the barrel droops (points down) slightly. There are several posts on the Marlin Owners Forum about this. The open sights should work just fine as they are barrel mounted. A peep sight should also work or even a scout scope set up barrel mounted. If I remember Marlin (Remington)wasn't really doing much to repair them.
              Really.....I thought those problems appeared when Remington started making them? This one was built in 2000. Don't know if I could do iron sites now with my eyes.

Comment

Warne makes a 20moa base for the 1895. That should give you enough elevation to zero it at 100 if you are 14" low now.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
                  Mines an 1885 replica made by Uberti. 30" full octagon barrel, globe front sight and a shaver vernier sight on the tang. Designed as a black powder cartridge rifle and that's how I shoot it. A 530gr lead Creedmoor bullet that I cast myself over 62 grains of 2f black powder. Definitely the funnest gun to shoot I own.
                  I have a Shilo Sharps that should be here next week.

How do you clean the barrel after shooting black powder?

I make a mess when I clan my muzzle loader.
                  I dont understand how you keep all the gunk out of the breech and black

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	24464499

I have a Marlin 1895 SBL in the 45-70 caliber. It has the 18 inch barrel and can hold 6 rounds in the tube plus one in the chamber. I have it topped with a Leopold VX.R 2-7 with the Fire dot reticle.
                    I shoot the Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX ammunition.
                    I carry my rifle when I am in elk country up here also inhabited by Grizzly bear. I am going to take it on a deer hunt in November where I will be in close range brushy country.
                    I have mine sighted in to be dead on at 100 yards. At 155 yards it drops 3.5 inches, at 205 yards it drops 9.5 inches and at 255 yards it drops 19.4 inches. These yardages match up to the hash marks in my scope reticle. I consider my rifle to be great to 250 yards.
                    I really wish I would have had this rifle when I lived in Texas as I think it would be the cats meow on hogs down there. And, where I hunted whitetail down outside Beeville, it would have been perfect there as well as most all of my shots were within 250 yards.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ I like that!

Comment

This is my Henry 010. Love this gun! I handload a 300 grain JSP pushed by a 'plethora' of powder. I originally wanted to stick with the 405 grain since that is what the gun was built around, but the trajectory sucks quite frankly. The 300 allows me to easily reach out as far as my eyes will let me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I have a 45-70 I bought off of here 3-4 years ago and love it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                            I have a 45-70 I bought off of here 3-4 years ago and love it.
                            When I bought mine, pictured above, I wanted the XLR like you have with the longer barrel but since they quit making them I could not find one in the shape I wanted. I a lot of guys up here use that very same gun for elk and I think I will take mine on my next trip to Africa. Nice rifle!

Comment

WB- I wondered if your rifle was the XLR, they look the same. I like that rail you have on there. These rifles will ruin a hogs whole day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                                WB- I wondered if your rifle was the XLR, they look the same. I like that rail you have on there. These rifles will ruin a hogs whole day.
                                No, mine is the SBL, so it has the shorter barrel. I did not have a picture handy of the entire gun. I do really like the larger lever loop, especially up here in the winter when having to wear heavy gloves.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X