Let's talk private pilots license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk private pilots license

Who has one? What are the pros and cons in your opinion? Own or rent aircraft? Recommended places for lessons in Texas. What is your primary reason for wanting a private license? And any other info you care to share. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got mine in 06. Was a life long dream. I have owned 3 planes and tell you thats its my opinion you should buy a plane to take lessons in. Renting is crazy expensive.
    If your in Bryan look into joining the Aggie flying club. I hear its a great alternative to buy a plane. Before life got in the way the last 2 years i flew fairly often. Took the wife trout fishing in northern Arkansas on the white river. I never really been used the planes like i had hoped too because i stay real busy with work and kids. In a few yeasrs i plan to get back into it but who knows. But learning to fly and gaining the confidence to take off on a trip are wonderful experiences

Comment

It's a lot of fun but expensive. There's probably some good schools down your way but don't know offhand where to go in your area. Buying an older Cessna to learn in and then keep it a few years can be a good deal as renting has gotten pretty expensive. Don't really know the costs right offhand but it can be easily over 10K depending on the cost of rental. Lot of places are renting wet cessnas at 150+ an hour. Some places more than that even. Figure you're going to need probably 50 hours of flight plus paying the instructor for ground instruction, plus the cost of the check ride and you're around $7500-10000 pretty easy. I would also figure on 6 months to a year of your time to do it. It is fun all the way through though. Just make sure you have an instructor you're comfortable with and like. You'll be spending a good amount of time together so it's important you get along with the person.

Any questions I'd be happy to help.

I've got about 3000 hours and have an ATP license plus I still have a current instructor certificate. I flight instructed a lot when I was in college in Lubbock.

Comment

Added question: What's the best place to complete ground school in Houston?
        Background:
        I started my PPL-SEL in summer 2007.
        Got 14 hours in about a month.
        Never solo'd.
        Only been up once in 2009 in SoCal
        Another time at KDWH in 2013.
        Last medical was in 2013 so I'm good there.

I simply want to knock the ground out as quickly as possible so I can get that paperwork out of the way.
        I know there is the place out in West Houston on Monday nights
        And American Flyers has that 3 day course every month at KDWH
        Am I missing any other options?

I have the King DVDs but with two young kids I simply can't study at home because the DVDs distract me ;-)

EDIT:
        I plan on buying a C152 just to get these PPL-ASL hours out of the way because $150 / hr Is a bit steep (I'll sell the C152 soon as I get my wings)

Comment

Fly, that's My main motivation. The ability to take trips all over hunting and fishing with out having to worry about commercial hassles. So in. Your opinion it was worth the initial cost of the license, it's like 6-8K currently

Comment

I got my license when I was still in high school, I solo-ed with less than 8 hours flight time with the instructor. At the time, my dad was a partner in an Piper Cherokee 180 and our plan was for me to fly it after I got my license, but the insurance was very expensive until I had 200 hours. I continued to rent, but for someone in high school and not making much money it soon became too expensive. There's a reason doctors, lawyers and business owners are the ones that own planes and fly, it's a very expensive hobby. I love it, just can't afford it.

Comment

The initial cost of the license is steep but it seems reasonable to rent and fly to locations with in a few hours fly time when you consider fuel and time.

Am I not thinking practically?

Comment

From what. I've researched a c152 is. About 90/hr wet

Comment

I am in the process of getting my license now, lots of fun but time consuming. I bought a ranch in west Texas 3 1/2 hours drive from my house so that is why I want to fly. I have a place I am going to put a strip on my ranch, I am going to buy a Cesna 206 because it has the shortest landing distance of any 6 seater and the strip on my ranch will have to be short unless I want to take out a pond and a bunch of trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
                    I am in the process of getting my license now, lots of fun but time consuming. I bought a ranch in west Texas 3 1/2 hours drive from my house so that is why I want to fly. I have a place I am going to put a strip on my ranch, I am going to buy a Cesna 206 because it has the shortest landing distance of any 6 seater and the strip on my ranch will have to be short unless I want to take out a pond and a bunch of trees.

Yup, we have a place in west Texas as well. Won't have a strip on the place but the nearest strip is only 25min drive. I think I'd be okay with a 4 seater.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                      The initial cost of the license is steep but it seems reasonable to rent and fly to locations with in a few hours fly time when you consider fuel and time.

Am I not thinking practically?

I've been looking into it myself and have friends that fly. I don't think what your thinking is practical lol. Its more of something that you have a passion for IMO but again this is just from insight from friends and research. You can find decent used planes for the price of a decent new truck. Then the monthly hanger fees, maintenance, annuals, etc. I'm lucky to be in an area where hanger fees are much much less than other airports but it still adds up. I've asked if I bought my own plane if I could train in that to help with the costs because it doesn't make sense to rent one then buy one but the schools I've spoken to will not allow me to do that. I think it depends on the school/trainer.

Comment

Yup, we have a place in west Texas as well. Won't have a strip on the place but the nearest strip is only 25min drive. I think I'd be okay with a 4 seater.
                        I have 5 kids so need a bigger plane even though my wife says that she will never fly with me and will never let kids fly with me, I am a speed freakI drive fast don't smoke it) and little bit of an adrenaline junkie. I can only get about 3000/3500 feet on my strip and the 206 can land on 2500 according to my instructor. The 6 seater will also be nice because even if it is just me and a buddy going to hunt, we can carry more gear.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                          I've been looking into it myself and have friends that fly. I don't think what your thinking is practical lol. Its more of something that you have a passion for IMO but again this is just from insight from friends and research. You can find decent used planes for the price of a decent new truck. Then the monthly hanger fees, maintenance, annuals, etc. I'm lucky to be in an area where hanger fees are much much less than other airports but it still adds up. I've asked if I bought my own plane if I could train in that to help with the costs because it doesn't make sense to rent one then buy one but the schools I've spoken to will not allow me to do that. I think it depends on the school/trainer.
                          My school can only legally allow me to use my own plane if I lease it back to them in witch case they will use it with other students, I don't want that.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
                            It's a lot of fun but expensive. There's probably some good schools down your way but don't know offhand where to go in your area. Buying an older Cessna to learn in and then keep it a few years can be a good deal as renting has gotten pretty expensive. Don't really know the costs right offhand but it can be easily over 10K depending on the cost of rental. Lot of places are renting wet cessnas at 150+ an hour. Some places more than that even. Figure you're going to need probably 50 hours of flight plus paying the instructor for ground instruction, plus the cost of the check ride and you're around $7500-10000 pretty easy. I would also figure on 6 months to a year of your time to do it. It is fun all the way through though. Just make sure you have an instructor you're comfortable with and like. You'll be spending a good amount of time together so it's important you get along with the person.

Any questions I'd be happy to help.

I've got about 3000 hours and have an ATP license plus I still have a current instructor certificate. I flight instructed a lot when I was in college in Lubbock.
                            We may have to meet up. I've been out of the game for a year or so, but wanted to get back into it and get my Instrument. I learned to fly in Lubbock while going to Tech.

To the OP, its an incredibly satisfying experience, but an expensive hobby. If you've got the funds, go for it!

Comment

From what. I've researched a c152 is. About 90/hr wet

It was worth every penny in my opinion. Just wish i could feel nd time to more of it.
                              Renting is fine if all your going to do is mess around for a couple hours.
                              Problem is, if you want to go some place and stay a few days. Not only are you going to pay by the hour of hobbs time. But also for a minimum of 3-4 hours a day while it sits at the airport whether you start it or not. That is if you rent from a flight school. So you take a trip to new mexico for some fishing. Say 4 hours to get there, four hours to get back. You stay two full days. Thats an additional 6-8 hours you pay for while the plane never moves. Even at $90 prhr thats a hell of an expensive trip

Comment

Working...
                              X